VOGONS

First post, by holoprox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can i solder additional chips on the back side of the simm (where possible) in order to enlarge capacity (rearrange encoding resistors?)?

Attachments

• EDO.jpg
    Filename
    EDO.jpg
    File size
    1.36 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

100+ retro computers on board!
50+ flightsticks!

Reply 1 of 6, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nope, pretty sure it's forbidden under the Pirate Code, or Marquis of Queensbury Rules, or maybe Hoyle says something about it. 😉

I mean sure, if you want, it's your hardware.

Edit: If I were doing it, ideally, I'd want to see the 8MB version, or high res pictures of it, to make sure there wasn't any non-obvious component additions, like a fatter capacitor than just the generic smoothing caps, or 10kilohm 103 where you thought it should be a 000 short.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 6, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The last one which is a Dell is not a SIMM memory, it's a COAST module for the L2 cache on the motherboard.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 4 of 6, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
holoprox wrote on 2021-08-19, 16:14:

I know for the DELL, but it also has pads on the back (and i have a spare cache card 😀

Most COAST modules are commonly 256KB or 512KB and PC motherboards with COAST slot only supports up to 512KB of cache. If your motherboard has already 256KB onboard without the COAST installed, enlarging the module isn't worth the effort.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 5 of 6, by holoprox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2021-08-19, 16:22:
holoprox wrote on 2021-08-19, 16:14:

I know for the DELL, but it also has pads on the back (and i have a spare cache card 😀

Most COAST modules are commonly 256KB or 512KB and PC motherboards with COAST slot only supports up to 512KB of cache. If your motherboard has already 256KB onboard without the COAST installed, enlarging the module isn't worth the effort.

If there is a slight possibility to work, i'll try it.

100+ retro computers on board!
50+ flightsticks!

Reply 6 of 6, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

With the 72 pin simm you might also have to fumble with the ID pads. some mainboards use it, others don't, so YMMV.

I wouldn't be surprised if you would also have to do some similar fumbling around on the COAST module.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port