VOGONS

First post, by kikendo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a 5.25" drive that started yesterday not closing and getting ruined.

Basically what happens is the metal axle that is connected to the latch, then stuck inside a plastic bit inside, rotates freely when the plastic inside needs to do "strength" to push the drive plate down.
I hope you understand what I mean. Basically the plastic bit inside and the axle have gone to a place here the inside metal axle will spin instead of staying stuck and making the inner plastic do its work.

A pic for reference:
file.php?mode=view&id=118495

Is there any way to fix this without needing a new part? At this point I might as well try to get a new drive if I can't fix this.

Reply 1 of 5, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd just glue the cam piece back in position.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 5, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yep ! Check the plastic cam as one of mine did that and was a white nylon type and not ABS or PVC type. Took a few different glues to find one that worked but it did. Also fixed one years ago using a micro drill thru the plastic into the metal shaft a bit and tapped a cut off micro brass screw into it, it still works too.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 5, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quicksteel should work.

There are also a bunch of different types
Of multi-surface epoxies that should work
Just fine as well.

For any type of glue to hold adequately,
You will need to roughen up the surface to be glued
With sandpaper and then clean really well.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 5, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yah, I'd go with an epoxy type.

kikendo wrote on 2021-09-24, 15:13:

How about plastic gun glue?

Not the generic craft type low temperature stuff. But if I found that all I had was the industrial high temp gun and multipurpose yellowy/beige glue, then I'd slide the cam as far up the shaft as it went, apply a coating round the shaft where it goes, then hold a soldering iron on it the opposite side to keep it nice and runny, then slide the cam into position and let it set up. .... and I'd only be about 60% confident that that wouldn't just make a mess you had to clean up/off before you got some epoxy because it didn't work.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.