VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have two Pentium 75 Mhz processors, one manufactured in Malaysia and the other in the Philippines. My Socket 7 motherboard does not support a 50 Mhz FSB so the only option for testing was an overclock. I was surprised to see that both processors did not clock consistently even though they are the same part number. I did not perform any tests beyond reaching a successful boot.

The Philippines processor was able to boot with the following settings:

60 Mhz * 1.5 @ 90 Mhz

The Malaysia processor was much better and was able to support a range of frequencies:

60 Mhz * 1.5 @ 90 Mhz
66 Mhz * 1.5 @ 100 Mhz
60 Mhz * 2.0 @ 120 Mhz

Has anyone tried reproducing overclocks with the same part and manufacturer? I'm curious if this is consistent for all processors from a given location or whether it's a lottery as to whether any given processor will reach a particular overclock.

IMG_20210910_132148_resize_89.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210910_132148_resize_89.jpg
File size
113.95 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_20210910_132132_resize_5.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210910_132132_resize_5.jpg
File size
197.34 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Last edited by Kahenraz on 2021-09-11, 09:15. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For the most part CPU dies that are from the inner part of the wafer will be able to clock higher than the ones on the outside of the wafer.

As I understand it, it has a lot to do with tolerances and of course the machines that make the CPU dies are not going to have looser tolerances the further they operate from the center.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 6, by framebuffer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

AFAIK (over)clock capabilities are related to the silicon/die quality.
You can have two processors made the same day out of the very same "wafer", one barely meeting the minimum specs of the given model and the other capable to run at much higher frequency than stock.
Usually the cores selected from the center of the wafer are the most perfect and capable and are used in the high(er) end models.

It also used to happen that, to satisfy high demand, some very high quality cores (intended for high end models) were used for mid/low end ones, creating overclocking monsters

So I guess that the short answer to your question is: yes, it's pretty much a lottery

Windows 98 and SAMBA | Quake CPU Benchmarks | GeForce2: GTS vs MX400

Reply 4 of 6, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think the 75MHz Pentium was introduced when Intel realised the production yields weren't very good and chips didn't reliably reach 90/100MHz. Instead of scrapping them they were rated for 75MHz and sold at lower price. This is why the 75MHz model was introduced after the 90/100MHz models. Those early P75 chips usually do not overclock well.

Later Intel refined their process and got much better yields but didn't discontinue the P75. Those later models reach 100MHz pretty reliably in my experience.

Reply 5 of 6, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I haven't had any left sharks. My C2s do 120 but the E0s, man, put on your seatbelt, 133..150... and boot at 166 (83x2) but it was overwhelming the HSF I was using (Not expecting to go past 133ish) and I didn't do serious stability testing.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 6 of 6, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-09-10, 21:34:

I think the 75MHz Pentium was introduced when Intel realised the production yields weren't very good and chips didn't reliably reach 90/100MHz.

This doesn't match the story I heard about the P75. I heard the story that the P75 was introduced as laptop processor as a less power hungry Pentium processor. Because low power was more important than performance, the low bus clock of just 50MHz was deemed acceptable. The P75 thus was not introduced due to bad yield, but due to marketing demand (every P90 could be used as "low power" P75), and overclockability can be quite good.