With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 101 of 109, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Monkey Island 1 & 2 were written for MT32 synthesizers (and work with the CM32L and LAPC-I). You can play them with sound going through a General MIDI daughterboard as they don't require an intelligent MPU interface, but the sound you get won't be accurate.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 102 of 109, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The first Monkey Island is special though, it just uses the default MT-32 instruments. So any GM device, that can be configured with the default MT-32 instruments, will sound correct with Monkey Island.

But not Monkey Island 2, that one uses custom sounds...

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 103 of 109, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Who has deleted my post and why?
And why didn't I get any explanation or notification that my post got deleted?

That is very rude. And very unprofessional.

FYI: I asked why some sellers are allowed to offer, promote and sell their items despite the rule that selling , promoting and offering items is prohibited here on Vogons.

Last edited by FGB on 2016-08-12, 14:19. Edited 3 times in total.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 104 of 109, by colpoz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the answers.

I tried to play MI2 on my 486 with an Yamaha Audician 32 sound card, and it does not play 100% correctly because there are some little crackling sound sometimes...I thought the Dreamblaster would solved it 🙁

RetroPc I: Asus P3V4X - PentiumIII 1000MHz - 256MB Ram - Geforce3 Ti 200 - SLI VoodooII 12MB - Aureal Vortex2 - HDD 80GB - Win98 SE
RetroPc II: Asus P5A - K6-2 333MHz - 64MB Ram - Geforce2 MX - Voodoo 4MB - Soundblaster AWE64 - HDD 13GB - Win95

Reply 105 of 109, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FGB wrote:

I asked why selling / trading is prohibited here on Vogons and why despite this rule some sellers are allowed to offer, promote and sell their items.

Not sure, wasn't me. Maybe send a PM to the admins.

But my personal view is that I invite any new developments for retro computer parts. So much work goes into these projects, so I think we should all support such efforts more than anything 😀

Reply 106 of 109, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FGB wrote:

The moderator log says that you deleted your own post that you made at 9:01 AM this morning (eh, my time zone, I think). If it had been a moderator or admin, the log would have said that they deleted it instead. So either you did by accident, or you need to change your password.

Either way, moderators have discussed this since your complaint on this issue back in May. Until we render a verdict, the best I can say is: "Welcome to VOGONS, there are no officially posted rules, what few rules there are are inconsistently enforced by moderators and admins". I'm not sure there IS a perfect solution to "cool retro hardware projects for sale to forum members" versus "selling old retro OEM/official hardware". Personally, I feel that there IS a difference, and we should be supportive of these retro projects (but buyer beware if issue), but unsupportive of people flogging their auctioning of their personal collection.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 107 of 109, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stiletto wrote:
FGB wrote:

The moderator log says that you deleted your own post that you made at 9:01 AM this morning (eh, my time zone, I think). If it had been a moderator or admin, the log would have said that they deleted it instead. So either you did by accident, or you need to change your password.

Just want to publicly correct myself, because I was stupid - that was a post deletion in another thread, and I apologize.

but then in that case there's NO record of a post being deleted in this thread.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 108 of 109, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

The first Monkey Island is special though, it just uses the default MT-32 instruments. So any GM device, that can be configured with the default MT-32 instruments, will sound correct with Monkey Island.

Does the Dreamblaster S1 have an MT-32 mapping? I know the X1 does.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 109 of 109, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote:
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Does the Dreamblaster S1 have an MT-32 mapping? I know the X1 does.

The datasheet of the chip is linked here: http://www.serdashop.com/waveblaster

On page 30 it shows the MT-32 map and how select it. Sent CTRL 0 = 127, then Program Change.

Whatever that means 😊