Best Super Socket 7 Motherboard?

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 189, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can do that.

Compact Flash cards with ide adapters are also good. This lets you pop the drive into your main system to transfer files.

or, get a pci sata card like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201629463559

I dropped in a spare 320gb sata drive and it worked perfectly. I had to make several 32gb partitions, because fat32 is what it is. If i need more space I jsut add a new partition. With windows 2000 I could use the whole thing as one drive.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 101 of 189, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For a DOS machine, CF or MicroSD is excellent. Depending on the logic the adapter uses, it might be problematic for an OS which has a swap file.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 102 of 189, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anyway I am using too a K6-2+ fast machine lately and it seems that with any great video cards the barrier of 2500 points in 3dmark2000 is not easily surpassed. The Radeon is obviously heavily cpu limited and even with T&L enabled from 640x480 to 1024x768 the numbers are the same... 🤣.
But at least I can benefit a better 2D quality and official Win ME whql drivers. In games I would not be surprised if an older one get even better results. 😉

Reply 103 of 189, by Jupiter-18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What about storage for windows 98/ME?

Reply 104 of 189, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IDE-SATA converters. Use modern SATA drives/SSDs as you prefer.

Reply 105 of 189, by Jupiter-18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok. CompactFlash vs SD? Which is better for retro PC storage?

Reply 106 of 189, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use compact flash. The cards are just as cheap as SD, the adapters are even cheaper, and they always seem to work. Plus they are SUPPOSED to have built in wear leveling.

downside of CF? If you want to move them to a new pc, you need an usb adapter, where a lot of computers usually have SD card ports standard.

Reply 107 of 189, by Jupiter-18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

But USB to CF readers are cheap, correct?

Reply 108 of 189, by Jupiter-18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Seems like the only part of this build I can't find is the K6-III+ CPU. There are plenty of K6-IIIs for sale, but no III+ models. Maybe I'll start with Socket A instead.

Reply 109 of 189, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

there are several 3+'s @ 450mhz on ebay for like $20

Reply 110 of 189, by Jupiter-18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh! I didn't see! Gonna get one asap!

Reply 111 of 189, by Jupiter-18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Power supply for an SS7 board? Will any ATX PSU work?

Reply 112 of 189, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes

Reply 113 of 189, by Jupiter-18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Great! How about a CPU cooler? Ebay?

Reply 114 of 189, by Jupiter-18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alright. I am all set for my SS7 build, except for the sound card. Going with ISA for sure, but I am not sure which card setup to use. Here are my options:
SoundBlaster AWE32 + Dreamblaster X1
Soundblaster 16 + Ultrasound ACE and/or Dreamblaster X1
Ultrasound MAX
Yamaha Audician 32 Plus + Ultrasound ACE
Are there any that you guys would suggest from that era? I have two 16-bit ISA slots on my board. I need a midi/game port for use with external modules (CM-64, SC88 pro, MU2000EX)

Reply 115 of 189, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you're limited to 2x ISA slots, I recommend the Yamaha, a GUS (doesn't have to be an ACE), and a Dreamblaster board. Should cover all your bases, particularly for DOS software. If you have clearance problems with the daughterboard, you can cable to Dreamblaster into the Waveblaster header.

Reply 116 of 189, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think this is somewhat related to the topic... apologies if it isn't (I haven't read every page).

It seems funny to me that early on (10-15 years ago) I attempted to build one retro PC using some old parts (Quantum Bigfoot drive, P200MMX, Rendition verite 1000) that were my brother's and I had a terrible time getting the system working right... but I did use it for some 9x and DOS gaming. At some point later on (2005 probably) I came into possession of an FIC PA-2013 2.0 SS7 motherboard and a 500Mhz K6-2. I thought this would be more flexible and more suitable for a Windows 98\DOS game system and I set it up as such. I loved the fact that the jumpers were easy to access if a game needed the CPU to be slower (though I admittedly never bothered changing them for this purpose), and the system proved to be quite stable and useful for many years.

Eventually that system contained my old Verite 1000, a Voodoo 2 12MB SLI setup, a Sound Blaster CT2230, 128MB of SDRAM, two ~13GB Quantum Fireball hard drives and a DVD-ROM. Considering the limited amount of research and resources (and how i never actually purchased anything for a retro rig at this point), this was a pretty awesome system.

Fast forward to today and I've got old PC hardware coming out my ears and so many possible configurations that could be built and no time to focus on a single one. After disassembling my old K6 system and attempting a few other other 9x\DOS builds, I've been reading more and more lately about how SS7 systems are the most flexible, able to be scaled down to 386 speeds or up to near Pentium III speeds. I'm actually thinking of going back to that old FIC board now... it just seems silly that I had such a well rounded system when I had no resources, and now that I have motherboards coming out my ears I'll likely be falling back to that same one (at least the motherboard and CPU).

In the end, I just like building them and playing a game here and there... so it doesn't matter that much, and no system will ever be perfect for everything.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 117 of 189, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

VIA Ezra (and perhaps Nehemiah) systems are supposed to be even more flexible, but they're less straightforward to build.

Reply 118 of 189, by Jupiter-18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does the CT1920 Goldfinch card have the hanging note bug? I was looking at it for EMU8000 midi sound, but I noticed it doesn't have a Game/midi port. What cards have:
Waveblaster header
Game/midi port
Goldfinch header
No hanging note bug

Reply 119 of 189, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

CF cards are actually IDE SSDs but were originally intended for cameras and that sort but they found their way onto a lot of other devices including routers. They work in much the same way as modern SSDs except that they do not have garbage collection and other modern features. The only catch is that the vast majority of adapters cripple performance to ata 33 specs and some boards/controllers don't always play nice.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.