VOGONS

Reply 1100 of 27631, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

🙄 It's what I did today and it was a retro activity. What do you want? Are you entitled to my backup images too?

The unnecessary snap at the end of your post is what set him off.

Reply 1101 of 27631, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
smeezekitty wrote:

The unnecessary snap at the end of your post is what set him off.

Exactly. This forum is all about sharing what we've done lately -- not about what you're unwilling to share. In that spirit, that last bit came across as unecessarily snippy.

Reply 1102 of 27631, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Had I not put that there, i'd probably get PMs to share it, kind of like everyone with a PowerVR card getting hounded for continents of blackmarsh. Also, it would be illegal to share it here (or anywhere for that matter) and against the rules.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 1103 of 27631, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Added a small desk next to my main work desk so that I can get my retro computing fix easier than ever. 😉
dscn2000.jpg?w=600

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 1104 of 27631, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Had I not put that there, i'd probably get PMs to share it, kind of like everyone with a PowerVR card getting hounded for continents of blackmarsh. Also, it would be illegal to share it here (or anywhere for that matter) and against the rules.

Agreed. I don't think it was snippy at all. It was a statement, directed to no one in particular. I would have phrased is similarly.

I am working on a 1000-floppy disks USB image for flash drives, for use in the 1000 floppy USB emulator drive. I write the image to a flash drive, and therein contains 1000 disk images of everything I'd ever want for use in the USB floppy emulator drive. Its my work, my images of games/software i've purchased. I'll gladly share HOW I did it, but as far as copyright is concerned and sharing this work, I won't share it with anyone. Its for my own personal use. Maybe, just maybe, in the far far distant future maybe it'll be legal for me to share it. Until then, I keep my nose clean. And that's not being snippy, its just being on the ethical high ground.

As for my retro activity, I'm still working on playing through Wing Commander Secret Missions 1....damn that thing is a bit difficult...but I love it! 😎

After WC SM1 and SM2, I'll play through WC II and right up a few reviews for TheGoodOldDays.net....

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 1105 of 27631, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
133MHz wrote:
Added a small desk next to my main work desk so that I can get my retro computing fix easier than ever. ;) https://133fsb.files. […]
Show full quote

Added a small desk next to my main work desk so that I can get my retro computing fix easier than ever. 😉
dscn2000.jpg?w=600

I've got an Ikea GALANT desk and I'm about to do the same thing...move my retro system to another desk. Those CRT's are just massive...

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 1106 of 27631, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
QBiN wrote:

Exactly. This forum is all about sharing what we've done lately -- not about what you're unwilling to share. In that spirit, that last bit came across as unecessarily snippy.

For reals? Now those are some delicate sensibilities.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 1107 of 27631, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🤣 I kinda thought so too. Very sensitive people on the interwebz. 😜

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1108 of 27631, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

i just want to make it clear that i made myself a fancy self-extractor of my stuff that handles the placement of start menu icons and an uninstaller to clean itself up so i can deploy it on my old systems in a few thousand less clicks and keystrokes for the sake of retro convenience because WinRAR/7Z SFX is not enough

sheesh! Also I used Bzip compression fyi. not LZMA. and it's nothing mindblowing or braggy or anything.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 1109 of 27631, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I guess it's not really retro, but I finally solved the most confusing PC problem I've dealt with in a long time. That may just be a reflection of my inexperience, but it drove me crazy.
My internet was intermittently losing connection. When this occurred I could still talk to the LAN, but not the cable modem or anything beyond it. So I spent the next couple days thinking it was the modem. I experimented with blowing a fan over it, I swapped the power supply, I tried a different power outlet, but I kept having the same intermittent disconnects. I was close to buying a new modem.

It took far too long to realize that the problem was only affecting one PC - dumb oversight on my part. Finally remembered the WinXP event log and looked at it. There were numerous warnings about exceeding the TCP/IP connection limit, but not much else of interest.

'route print' finally revealed that the problem was in the routing table.
The PC has 2 network connections. The 10/100 goes to the LAN and internet, and the GbE leads to a file server. For some reason, both interfaces had gateway IPs assigned - the gateway on the GbE interface was a nonexistent address. The metrics were (correctly) set such that the GbE interface had priority over the 10/100.

End result - Windows kept trying to use the GbE connection to reach the internet. Eventually, it would figure out that this wasn't working and switch to the lower priority 10/100 connection, which actually worked. Then at some random time it would try the GbE again, repeating the madness.
I really should have figured it out sooner, but I learned something from it at least.

Reply 1110 of 27631, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shamino wrote:

The PC has 2 network connections. The 10/100 goes to the LAN and internet, and the GbE leads to a file server. For some reason, both interfaces had gateway IPs assigned - the gateway on the GbE interface was a nonexistent address. The metrics were (correctly) set such that the GbE interface had priority over the 10/100.

Why would you have a gateway on both? It would seem to me that you'd only want a single default route pointing to the internet gateway on the 10/100 interface. When you have more than one route of the same network/mask (i.e. prefix) then you'll always have to watch route metrics. If you know you'll only ever want to get to the internet via the 10/100 interface, get rid of the default gateway on the Gig interface.

Reply 1111 of 27631, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
QBiN wrote:
shamino wrote:

Why would you have a gateway on both? It would seem to me that you'd only want a single default route pointing to the internet gateway on the 10/100 interface. When you have more than one route of the same network/mask (i.e. prefix) then you'll always have to watch route metrics. If you know you'll only ever want to get to the internet via the 10/100 interface, get rid of the default gateway on the Gig interface.

Sounds like probably human error. I've done something like that in the past a few times.

Reply 1112 of 27631, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just recently finished a Win95c Pentium-200MMX build and did some limited testing on it. Cross posted from the System Specs section:

ATX Pentium i430HX Build in Modern Case

Reply 1113 of 27631, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
QBiN wrote:
shamino wrote:

That's what I did to fix it. I don't remember when or why that other gateway was put there. What still confuses me is why it never caused a noticeable problem until just several days ago. Anyway, it's fixed.

Reply 1114 of 27631, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I received ECS K7S7AG with a corner awfully bended. Sure thing it would not boot, so I tried to glue a wire over one surface trace that was cut off. Fortunately nothing else was needed. Been a while since I successfully repaired something of value 😎
K7S7AG.jpg

Last edited by Putas on 2015-04-23, 04:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1115 of 27631, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Putas wrote:

I received ECS K7S7AG with a corner awfully bended. Sure thing it would not boot, so I tried to glue a wire over one surface trace that was cut off. Fortunately nothing else was needed. Been a while since I successfully fixed something of value 😎

Nice work! It's always a thrill to bring something back to life.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 1116 of 27631, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Putas wrote:

I received ECS K7S7AG with a corner awfully bended. Sure thing it would not boot, so I tried to glue a wire over one surface trace that was cut off. Fortunately nothing else was needed. Been a while since I successfully repaired something of value 😎
<snip>

And your repair worked? It comes up and runs now?

Reply 1118 of 27631, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Worked on the game I'm creating some more last night, this time mostly drawing the "Rooms". I might show some of that off in little "teasers" later once I have all the rooms setup, I have my own artwork style that I feel blurs reality and cartoonish-ness quite well without looking "wacky", though the top influence one can see is probably Steve Purcell's artwork from the first Monkey Island game (though I need to learn how to manually dither better).

I've got all of the parking garage started, but I'm waiting a bit on it as I'm picking up tricks for it on the other rooms that are less tricky. Won't let off too much info, but I have a few puzzles involving the parked cars. I finally got the elevators placed.

Worked on the one "room" for the streetside where the game begins. It's pretty much almost finished, just need to figure out how to do the horizon at both ends of the building to look good without losing the blue sky in the background. What's all done though looks amazing and like something that took way longer to do - I feel I'm getting my Graf-X II mojo back.

I also started work on the "lobby". That's coming together pretty fast and nicely as well. I got to the point where I started to add some of the non-inventory interactive objects to the room. Need to add the "life" to it still though, I've got an empty coffee shop, almost empty front desk, and the lobby needs furniture and a few more signs, and posters to liven the place up.

Next up, the sub rooms for the lobby, then the next floor and it's sub-rooms, and continue ad-nauseum.

My process for the rooms are to draw the basic room structure first so I have a room# assigned to it and have the basic structure (elevators, tables, frequently visited locations to solve puzzles, etc...). Then as I write the puzzles - I can tweak the room to suit - ie, say I have a puzzle involving a clipboard but you don't need it in your inventory, I can just draw it up on a surface somewhere where the player can look at it. Lastly is adding other interactive objects for comedic effect and to give the place life and make it immersive.

Meanwhile, I've started playing Maniac Mansion again (this time on PC instead of NES) and reading/listening to a lot of interviews with Al Lowe and Ron Gilbert for inspiration and ideas. Maniac Mansion seems so much easier on PC than NES - probably because I'm using a Mouse rather than a control pad.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 1119 of 27631, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
creepingnet wrote:

Worked on the game I'm creating some more last night, this time mostly drawing the "Rooms".

Very cool, creepingnet. Are you writing your own game engine? Or using one off-the-shelf?