Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 11680 of 53137, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:

These could aswell go in the dumpster find thread as I think the seller works at a recycling center in southern Europe but as I did pay for the items I'm posting the stuff here.

Two weeks ago I posted the sellers picture of an XT clone motherboard I bought just to get the NEC V20 CPU. The shipping was rather expensive and the seller had some other "untested" hardware for sale so I bought some more stuff.

Wow, let's hop it works! It's very hard to find stuff like that here (and in Denmark as well I imagine).

1982 to 2001

Reply 11681 of 53137, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Skyscraper, please dump the BIOS on that Juko V20 board.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 11682 of 53137, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cyrix200+ wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

These could aswell go in the dumpster find thread as I think the seller works at a recycling center in southern Europe but as I did pay for the items I'm posting the stuff here.

Two weeks ago I posted the sellers picture of an XT clone motherboard I bought just to get the NEC V20 CPU. The shipping was rather expensive and the seller had some other "untested" hardware for sale so I bought some more stuff.

Wow, let's hop it works! It's very hard to find stuff like that here (and in Denmark as well I imagine).

One thing that is good to know when buying these kind of items from these type of sellers is that "untested" is often the same as "did a quick test but diddnt get it working". 😀

I have strated testing the items.

Out of the 3 ISA VGA cards the "AVGA Deluxe" and Trident 8900C were both dead when I first tried them and the older OTI VGA "Unique" did send a signal but the LCD I use for testing didnt show an anything except that I got a signal. After reseating all removable chips on the cards both the "AVGA Deluxe" and Trident 8900C suddenly works just fine but with the OTI VGA "Unique" the situation remains the same, I'm going to test it in another system and with another screen.

The pictured FIC 486 VLB board did not want to post. I do not own another board with the same VIA 386/486 chipset but I tried a BIOS chip from a board with another VIA VLB chipset and the board was still dead. When tested on the other VIA VLB board the BIOS chip from the 386/486 board at least produced POST codes so I do not think its the BIOS chip that is the issue. I will check all jumpers and test with known to be good CPU and memory later, I cant find any physical damage at least.

Anonymous Coward wrote:

Skyscraper, please dump the BIOS on that Juko V20 board.

I will.

If the board is dead I need to find something else to stick the chip in though.

Edit

I tested the board but my diagnostc post card shows nothing except that it got power.

The board seems to have 512KB memory and no parity chips, does it need parity chips? I will try some other 256Kx4 DIP-10 chips but if I need DIP-8 chips for parity I will have to get a 286 motherboard from storage to borrow chips from as I do not have any spare DIP-8 memory chips.

/Edit

Edit2

Perhaps the parity on or off is set with switch the first dip switch on all XT boards?

/Edit2

Edit3

I filled what "should be" the first 8 memory sockets with with 8 chips (1MB) memory from one of the working video cards. I do not see any obvious (well there is one) jumpers for setting memory size and I cant find the board on th99 but even if its jumpered for 512KB it should at least throw up some post codes one would think. The first dip switch on "SW1" is set to off and I think that should disable parity.

I think this board might need some love before it starts working, I cant find any visible defects though. Perhaps some XT-clone guru has some tips otherwise I will test the CPU in my XT-clone system and try to find something else I can put the BIOS chip in to make a BIOS dump. I will save this board and do another attempt to get it going some rainy day.

/Edit3

Edit4

I tried with only 512KB memory from the video card in the 4 sockets that were filled when I got the board, the result was the same.

The 8 memory chips did still work when I put them back on the video card so this XT clone board dosn't kill memory chips at least.

/Edit4

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 11683 of 53137, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There should be a jumper or DIP switch to set the parity. I have the V30 version of your board, and although it's been years since I played with it, I remember the board coming without parity chips and working just fine. Isn't your board on TH99? It looks to be very similiar to the Juko ST.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 11684 of 53137, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote:

There should be a jumper or DIP switch to set the parity. I have the V30 version of your board, and although it's been years since I played with it, I remember the board coming without parity chips and working just fine. Isn't your board on TH99? It looks to be very similiar to the Juko ST.

The memory layout is different but that's logical as its 16bit vs 8bit bus, I have not found my board in TH99.

Im pretty confident dip-switch 1 on SW1 sets parity and I have tried both on and off, I think it's the same on your V30 board. It is however possible that the board came with memory chips in the wrong sockets as in one chip in bank1, one chip in bank2 and two chips in bank3 if the memory bank arrangement is the same as on your V30 board. Still have have tried to fill what on your board is bank1 + bank2 + bank3 with a total of 1MB memory without luck but I will look into this some more.

Last edited by Skyscraper on 2016-04-22, 23:12. Edited 3 times in total.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.

Reply 11685 of 53137, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cyrix200+ wrote:

True, so true.... Even in Denmark.
Today I helped a Danish female artist in getting my library of module files. As she is using milky tracker to listen to music.
She even listens to Nectarine Radio. What a woman... 😀 Me surprised positively.
Her first computer were a 486 with AWE32, and she is 31 years old. Ahh... Anyway.
She had to get a SB16 CT:1740 for Adlib Tracker, and she found it on a german seller on eBay.
So yes... It's nearly impossible to get stuff like that in Scandinavia.

Anyway... She seems like a cool person. As we talked about SID, OPL, Demo's and Trackers.
She is about to start finishing up and polishing the Adlib Tracker tunes that she will make an album from.
We talked about the artist Milliamp Diode (think his name is spelled like that) and she knows this guy. 😳
Anyway... He is totally into OPL and Pizza. 😁 Anyway... Glad to help someone who are using retro stuff productively.

I rounded it all up, by telling her about Amibay, and she seems like a type to check it out.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 11686 of 53137, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@Skyscraper

You're right about dip switch one to be about parity but all the Juko boards i know work the other way around: when the switch is ON its is to disable parity. I know because the board you saw in the video i made is a similar Juko board.

Reply 11687 of 53137, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@brostenen; We don't get women like that in the UK, only dumb slutty chavs, uneducated mingers and those real ugly bitches (inside and out) with an attitude problem, misplaced sense of superiority which always blows up in there face and those fake nerd glasses to demonstrate that they will probably die alone. Sucks for them because even the dumb chavs laugh at them.
trololololololololololol

More on topic, I am about to by an LT1084CT because something I own has one which got bent before I got it and the pins are a bit cracked. I could bodge it, but I may as well put a new one on as I have to replace a capacitor anyway. No point posting a picture as it's a bog-standard TO-220 package and the capacitor is a regular radial type.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 11688 of 53137, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
carlostex wrote:

@Skyscraper

You're right about dip switch one to be about parity but all the Juko boards i know work the other way around: when the switch is ON its is to disable parity. I know because the board you saw in the video i made is a similar Juko board.

I have tried it both ways.

I thought I was looking at the TH99 page for Anonymous Cowards V30 board but I was looking at the page for this board which probably is even closer (but not the same).

The memory banks on my board is not paced at the same places as on this board, but they should work the same way.

JUKO BABY XT BXM/12

https://th99.bl4ckb0x.de/m/A-B/32279.htm

This is how I imagine the memory banks are layed out, bank 0 + 1 can be bank 3 and bank 3 can be bank 0 + 1 but this dosnt matter when all 8 sockets are filled. The parity sockets order could also be different then I have drawn. The question is why did the board come as pictured with 1x44256 in bank0, 1x44256 in bank1 and 2x44256 in bank3 instead of 2x44256 in each of bank0 and bank1 for 512KB if I have not totally misunderstood the bank layout.

Even if the sockets marked Bank2 in my masterpiece should be parity sockets for bank 0, 1 and 3 and the 6x DIP-16 sockets in the bottom is bank 2 + parity this still dosnt change the fact that the 8 DIP-20 sockets are bank0, bank1 and bank3 and should all be filled to get 1MB. If the dip switches are set the same way as on other Juko XT boards the dip switches are now set for for no parity, 1MB memory as the and all 8 DIP-20 sockets are filled with known to be working 44256 chips (in reality not in the picture).

Reality vs wishes.jpg
Filename
Reality vs wishes.jpg
File size
659.6 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Got some tips through PMs indicating that I might need some 1M x 1 bit DIP-18 chips for better compatibility. If incompatibility with 44256 chips is my trouble I think I will stick with my two other XT clone boards as those 1M x 1 bit chips are expensive! 😁

I will try this board again tomorrow using 8 other known to be working 44256 chips from a 286 motherboard. I also have 16working 44256 chips in an ESD-bag somewhere but I have spent the last hour or so looking for them without luck.

Reply 11689 of 53137, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:
I have tried it both ways. […]
Show full quote
carlostex wrote:

@Skyscraper

I have tried it both ways.

I thought I was looking at the TH99 page for Anonymous Cowards V30 board but I was looking at the page for this board which probably is even closer (but not the same).

The memory banks on my board is not paced at the same places as on this board, but they should work the same way.

JUKO BABY XT BXM/12

https://th99.bl4ckb0x.de/m/A-B/32279.htm

This is how I imagine the memory banks are layed out, bank 0 + 1 can be bank 3 and bank 3 can be bank 0 + 1 but this dosnt matter when all 8 sockets are filled. The parity sockets order could also be different then I have drawn. The question is why did the board come as pictured with 1x44256 in bank0, 1x44256 in bank1 and 2x44256 in bank3 instead of 2x44256 in each of bank0 and bank1 for 512KB if I have not totally misunderstood the bank layout.

Even if the sockets marked Bank2 in my masterpiece should be parity sockets for bank 0, 1 and 3 and the 6x DIP-16 sockets in the bottom is bank 2 + parity this still dosnt change the fact that the 8 DIP-20 sockets are bank0, bank1 and bank3 and should all be filled to get 1MB. If the dip switches are set the same way as on other Juko XT boards the dip switches are now set for for no parity, 1MB memory as the and all 8 DIP-20 sockets are filled with known to be working 44256 chips (in reality not in the picture).

Reality vs wishes.jpg

Got some tips through PMs indicating that I might need some 1M x 1 bit DIP-18 chips for better compatibility. If incompatibility with 44256 chips is my trouble I think I will stick with my two other XT clone boards as those 1M x 1 bit chips are expensive! 😁

I will try this board again tomorrow using 8 other known to be working 44256 chips from a 286 motherboard. I also have 16working 44256 chips in an ESD-bag somewhere but I have spent the last hour or so looking for them without luck.

I have a Juko board much like that one. I'll grab it for some pictures, maybe it helps somehow.

Reply 11690 of 53137, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found a brand New Intel C440GX+ ATX motherboard to build a new server with! I plan on upgrading the s**t out of it with dual PIII Xeon 900MHz 2MB L2 CPUs, 2GB ECC ram, a high end PCI card (to watch HD videos) a PCI SATA raid card, USB 2.0 card, DVD burner drive, and much much more. 😀

Dedicated Windows 95 Aficionado for good reasons:
http://toastytech.com/evil/setup.html

Reply 11691 of 53137, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It doesn't support 900 Mhz 2Mb Xeons AFAIK.

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 11692 of 53137, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sprcorreia wrote:

I have a Juko board much like that one. I'll grab it for some pictures, maybe it helps somehow.

That would be great!

Its hard when you get a board with odd memory bank layout without a manual and there isn't any information about the board online, only about boards looking "a bit like it". Even if your board isn't exactly the same it could still help. 😀

I will post any further updates in the "What retro activity did you get up to today?" thread.

Reply 11693 of 53137, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HighTreason wrote:

@brostenen; We don't get women like that in the UK

Most of the time, the same here.... We spoke on a Danish website for alternative people.
On that site, there are: Metal-heads, Punks, Emo's, Goth's, people with mental issues and so on...
Most people are eighter vegan's or artists though.

What you will not find, are ordinaery people with a house, boat and an ordinaery income.
(and nazi's, as the site is for bringing sub-culture's closer, and make people talk positively)

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 11694 of 53137, by chose007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can show some pieces of my new items, maybe not so old but can promise only not usual HW

Hercules G256 DDR DVI with some junk around
DSCF2870_resize_zpsp8apwkxt.jpg

DSCF2873_resize_zpsxetbvyk0.jpg

Sapphire R9800 PRO 256MB new one
DSCF2879_resize_zpsnw0dtppw.jpg

DSCF2875_resize_zpsjts7j5ye.jpg

DSCF2877_resize_zpsyykxnkvl.jpg

This year i got luck about good RAM modules Iam searching so some of them here
DSCF1718_resize_zpsg54skuug.jpg

DSCF2481_resize_zpsbtyuh59u.jpg

DSCF2868_resize_zpsuhgwsn81.jpg

SDRAMs 150Mhz searching all my life ... can be good for Tualatins OC
DSCF2869_resize_zps3bo2hiks.jpg

and of course best modules Corsairs Extreme all types and Freqs ... lost count about them 😀
DSCF2881_resize_zpswft2ame8.jpg

Calibri-90-YT-banner-resize.jpg * Calibri-90-resize-resize.jpg

Reply 11695 of 53137, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, time for my latest portable acquisitions.

First things first:
XWuKaCOl.jpg

A Sony Vaio PCG-N505X. I actually bought this for a charger I have lying around, but it doesn't match it, so I've not actually tested it yet. This may be the slimmest P2/P3-era laptop of all - it's incredibly thin! It's supposed to have a 333 MHz Celeron and 64MB of RAM, as well as a NeoMagic MagicMedia 256AV+ GPU, and a Yamaha sound chip (although if it has speakers, I don't know where they are!) The screen is a 10.4" TFT, which I believe is XGA - so if it works, this should be a very neat little system.

But here is the more unusual thing:
eqE1Iqdl.jpg

A Fujitsu Siemens Stylistic 2300. Yes, this is a Pentium MMX-powered tablet! Conveniently, it matches the Sony PSU I had lying around perfectly, and as far as I can tell (not yet having the proper stylus for it), pretty much everything works (bar the junk HDD I fitted as a test run). It has a 233 MHz CPU, 32MB of RAM, and a NeoMagic MagicMedia 128 GPU of some kind, and it's actually a fully-featured computer, with a USB port, a speaker, keyboard/mouse input and VGA out. Whilst the screen is never going to work well with games (the ghosting is immense), it's definitely an oddity, and would actually serve very well if it was hooked up to a monitor and a keyboard - taking up a lot less space and being far more portable than a desktop would. The long-term plan is to test the touch screen (I have a stylus on order - supposedly original to these machines), and to use a CF card for the first time ever. I don't know how many of these are left, but there can't be that many!

Reply 11696 of 53137, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chose007 wrote:

Can show some pieces of my new items, maybe not so old but can promise only not usual HW

That's some nice baller RAM 🤣

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 11699 of 53137, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I finalized a trade this week, some nice gear from my wishlist:

Voodoo 3 2000 AGP:

dQ6d7Xsl.jpg?1

Cirrus Logic VLB video card #1:

Ze7SQBEl.jpg?1