Topic actions

Reply 12000 of 53188, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought one of these today to finish my AT system:
$_3.JPG
It's an XT-286 5162 motherboard. Paid $27 after shipping.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 12001 of 53188, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Total haul today:

Got for free from goldscraper:

Aztech i38-MMSN824 (seems with real OPL) and 4x 30pin simms with unknown amount.

6VjLqvzl.jpg

Asus P5E3 with Celeron E1400 as dummy.

fRqVIsyl.jpg

And nice Compaq Presario case,that i already put my A64 in after cleaning.

piS61vll.jpg

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 12002 of 53188, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:
Actually these are one of the better motherboards for the older chips. And they're KT-133A boards, which will run at 133 mhz jus […]
Show full quote
Bancho wrote:

Another cheap board arrived today. Had a AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1333 sitting in my draw and spotted this on ebay. Its a Epox 8kta+. It was boxed in as new condition. £11 delivered. Because the chip is a 133mhz chip and this being the KT133 only supporting 100mhz it would boot a 1ghz. There is a jumper on the board for 133mhz but will not boot when switched. Whipped out the old HB pencil and joined the 4 L1 bridges and selected 12.5x multiplier. Funnily enough it shows a 13x multi on post for 1300mhz. Put 768mb in of the cheap crucial i got yesterday. Will get 98SE installed and have a play. Not decided on what cards to use on this board yet.

<snip>

Actually these are one of the better motherboards for the older chips. And they're KT-133A boards, which will run at 133 mhz just fine, they just need a bios update for it. They'll even run with up to mobile Barton AthlonXP Chips as well. I'll try and look through my stuff to find the bios update for it.. but it was a PITA to hunt down on the internet today and I don't know where mine is.

EDIT: Here you go. 😀

https://web.archive.org/web/20020406010150/ht … d/bios/8kta.htm

This at least gives you file names (unfortunately the actual downloads don't work) But then we can google hunt for file names.... and... viola: http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/Archive/Epox/bios/index.html

Just control-F and look for: 8kta2218.exe It's there and works and I downloaded it and verified with the readme file it's for the EP-8KTA+, and the date and file size match up with the EpoX Website.

WOW, thank you for that great post. I've been looking for bios files for this board for a few hours without much luck. That site you posted looks like just what i need! I never had experience with the 8KTA+ in the past as i had a Abit KT7-Raid with a 1.1ghz Thunderbird which i unlocked with some conductive paint, which was a lot more nerve wracking back then as a 18 year old with an expensive CPU 🤣. I'll get the bios flashed and have another go with the 133mhz option.

Thanks

Reply 12003 of 53188, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I bought one of these today to finish my AT system:
It's an XT-286 5162 motherboard. Paid $27 after shipping.

That's a lot of chips!

Reply 12005 of 53188, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bancho wrote:

WOW, thank you for that great post. I've been looking for bios files for this board for a few hours without much luck. That site you posted looks like just what i need! I never had experience with the 8KTA+ in the past as i had a Abit KT7-Raid with a 1.1ghz Thunderbird which i unlocked with some conductive paint, which was a lot more nerve wracking back then as a 18 year old with an expensive CPU 🤣. I'll get the bios flashed and have another go with the 133mhz option.

Thanks

Mine's using an A mobile AthlonXP Barton chip in it which -I THINK- only does like 10x or 11x multiplier with this motherboard (A limitation of the board). But it does do 266 FSB (133 Mhz setting), and I have it slightly overclocked in bios to 300 FSB (which would be 150), and it runs the chip at 1.8 ghz just happily stable. It's my MS-DOS VESA Gaming machine. It even has bios settings for the indiviual ram timings for SDRAM, I think mine runs it at 2-3-3 @ 150 mhz.

And yep no problem... I knew right where to go with it because I had to go through the same steps to find the bios for mine. Basically figure out what the EpoX website used to be, and then plug it in to archive.org and then spawn the website once each year and look at "Models -> Motherboard" until you see the 8KTA+ listed.. back-stepping years until it shows up. Then once you find it, go to the support section to get the resulting page I came up with, which had the file names for the bios's, then just copy-paste in to google and find today-current websites with some copies of em (hopefully).

That's how I found it.. describing it so others can know how to find things in the future.

Remember to save your current bios as well during flashing.

Reply 12006 of 53188, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:
Mine's using an A mobile AthlonXP Barton chip in it which -I THINK- only does like 10x or 11x multiplier with this motherboard. […]
Show full quote
Bancho wrote:

Thanks

Mine's using an A mobile AthlonXP Barton chip in it which -I THINK- only does like 10x or 11x multiplier with this motherboard. But it does do 266 FSB (133 Mhz setting), and I have it slightly overclocked in bios to 300 FSB (which would be 150), and it runs the chip at 1.8 ghz just happily stable. It's my MS-DOS VESA Gaming machine.

And yep no problem... I knew right where to go with it because I had to go through the same steps to find the bios for mine. Basically figure out what the EpoX website used to be, and then plug it in to archive.org and then spawn the website once each year and look at "Models -> Motherboard" until you see the 8KTA+ listed.. back-stepping years until it shows up. Then once you find it, go to the support section to get the resulting page I came up with, which had the file names for the bios's, then just copy-paste in to google and find today-current websites with some copies of em (hopefully).

That's how I found it.. describing it so others can know how to find things in the future.

Remember to save your current bios as well during flashing.

Its very useful info, especially seeing as EPOX is now defunct and the sites no longer work! Only problem i am facing at the moment is how to go about flashing the bios! I have a floppy drive but unfortunately no disks! I was going to attempt to do a flash via CD but that would mean i could not save the bios. Any tips? Should i try and source a floppy? I'm not sure of the bios version on the board.

Reply 12009 of 53188, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

JaTIdQum.jpg

JPgzHegm.jpg

Picked up a hefty "MicroExperts" labeled case today at an estate sale for $5.

P3-550, 256mb ram, Yamaha YMF724-V and some SIS chipset video card.

The caps behind the CPU are in pretty poor shape...

Reply 12010 of 53188, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenerb wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/JaTIdQum.jpg […]
Show full quote

JaTIdQum.jpg

JPgzHegm.jpg

Picked up a hefty "MicroExperts" labeled case today at an estate sale for $5.

P3-550, 256mb ram, Yamaha YMF724-V and some SIS chipset video card.

The caps behind the CPU are in pretty poor shape...

Awesome.... A Globalwin 802 case. This was my first 'Overclockers' case when i got my Thunderbird setup. I'm sure the motherboard tray is removable?

Reply 12011 of 53188, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Received this drive today and spent a few hours trying to make it work with no success 🙁
3.5" works fine but I haven't been able to read or format disks with the 5.25" drive. Tried many different things in
3 different systems so I'm giving up for now.

Dmqwu3Al.jpg?1

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 12012 of 53188, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also picked up this little baby for $10:

J2mc0itl.jpg

Compaq Presario 2266.

Apparantly it's a Cyrix MII system based on SIS 5598 chipset.

The audio card appears to be a SIS 6801; I'm hoping it's Soundblaster compatible. It looks hardly used, it'd be a nice little DOS pizza box.

Reply 12013 of 53188, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got an Advent 5480DVD laptop today, sadly the keyboard problem it had was on the motherboard and not the keyboard itself. However, I took more than enough good parts off of it, and put them on my Pico N340S8 to create... the Frankentop. Yes, the screen bezel is a different colour to the palmrest!

O75oNpUl.jpg

Reply 12014 of 53188, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lukeno94, the blue-and-silver colour scheme kicks ass! I never heard of Pico and Advent trademarks, are they specific to your location? 😀

Reply 12015 of 53188, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MMaximus wrote:
Received this drive today and spent a few hours trying to make it work with no success :( 3.5" works fine but I haven't been abl […]
Show full quote

Received this drive today and spent a few hours trying to make it work with no success 🙁
3.5" works fine but I haven't been able to read or format disks with the 5.25" drive. Tried many different things in
3 different systems so I'm giving up for now.

Dmqwu3Al.jpg?1

Don't you need that "catweasel" ISA card to run this?
(I want one too 😁 dual floppys rule!)

Reply 12016 of 53188, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RacoonRider wrote:

Lukeno94, the blue-and-silver colour scheme kicks ass! I never heard of Pico and Advent trademarks, are they specific to your location? 😀

Advent is the store brand of PC World/Currys/Dixons that they use for computers. As for Pico... I can find basically nothing on them, or nothing that refers to them as a laptop brand of any kind. There's a Vietnamese shop by that name (but the BIOS was always in English, so I doubt they're linked), and a company known as Pico Technology, who build data logging things, but no evidence of them selling laptops. This basic laptop was sold by a huge number of companies in varying forms, and some things point to Gericom being the main OEM - this was also a brand sold by various chains.

The Pico part was the metallic ice blue/silver base unit; the keyboard is from the Advent 5490 (which appears to match the Pico but use the darker blue in place of the ice blue) and the top grey part is from the Advent 5480DVD. The difference in spec was basically a 1 GHz 133 MHz FSB PIII, 256MB of RAM and XP Pro (strangely, the CoA pointing to Lenovo Singapore) with the Pico, and a 800 MHz 100 MHz FSB PIII, 128MB of RAM and Mistake Edition on the Advent. They use desktop CPUs, which run cooler than the laptop equivalents!

Reply 12017 of 53188, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RacoonRider wrote:

Advent were the in-store brand for PC World, at least, here in the UK; http://www.pcworld.co.uk

Edit: Oh, damn, ninja'd. Never mind.

I did explain this once in a very active thread a while ago, but I suspect you probably missed it for some reason or other.

Anyway, I have one Advent PC but it was long since dismantled as it used the notorious MS-6340M motherboard, an Athlon 1000 with a tiny heatsink and a weird 100W non-standard PSU.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 12018 of 53188, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HighTreason wrote:
Advent were the in-store brand for PC World, at least, here in the UK; http://www.pcworld.co.uk […]
Show full quote
RacoonRider wrote:

Advent were the in-store brand for PC World, at least, here in the UK; http://www.pcworld.co.uk

Edit: Oh, damn, ninja'd. Never mind.

I did explain this once in a very active thread a while ago, but I suspect you probably missed it for some reason or other.

Anyway, I have one Advent PC but it was long since dismantled as it used the notorious MS-6340M motherboard, an Athlon 1000 with a tiny heatsink and a weird 100W non-standard PSU.

Doesn't surprise me. The base system for these, although quite quirky, is pretty well thought out, but the 7094 laptops I had most certainly weren't. Admittedly, the 5480DVD was crumbling badly, and the screens are notorious for cracking around the hinges, but the Pico is still structurally sound, even after being messed about with, and they run fairly coolly (but not quietly, since the fan is always on.)