Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 12100 of 53143, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not all hardware, but lumping it all together anyway

So...the wife walks over to my desk (We work in the same department) and says let's get out of here early and go hunting. Nice rainy Friday afternoon for it so, sure, we hit the thrifts. I'm glad I did.

Imgur link:
http://imgur.com/a/roYzE

The MPEG card was $2.50 after the 50% discount of the day at a Goodwill. Still sealed. Quick google search brings up a PC Mag issue on Google Books that says it was released by Vision Interactive in 1995 at...$430. I think I got a good clearance price.

The games were all $2 each at another Goodwill.

The joystick, controllers, and 1-2-3 were all $3 at a second tier chain thrift store. 1-2-3 is still sealed. The joystick is an upgrade from my Wingman Extreme Digital, plus it has a radioshack Game->USB adapter on it. That alone was worth the $3 because of Logitech's funky digital implementation that wasn't standard in any way with the rest of the industry.

The Gravis is also the first one these classic controllers I've ever actually seen in person. The dual shock clone is a spare for the wife, as I have an identical one I use on my laptop for emulation.

The motherboard is an ASUS TX97-X I picked up from ebay. Unfortunately, it arrived as seen, swathed in nothing but newspaper. Hopefully it survived.

The last two pics are my copy of Futuridium EP for VITA that I got from Limited Run Games. Seems this batch was pre-packed so they labeled them with what system the game was for. Ya know, so the people who walk by my front door and see it will know which waiting package to steal...

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 12102 of 53143, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought a disassembled, upgraded Fujitsu-Siemens Scenic 850/860 PC. Mainly for the CPU/Upgradeware Slotket, the rest was a bonus!

The mainboard, BX chipset. Does anybody know if the board will work with a standard ATX PSU? I will test later but just curious. I have also got the original PSU, but it's really dirty and smelly (nicotine). There is an additional connector on the PSU and mainboard right next to the ATX connector.

CXqRKS2l.jpg?1

Upgradeware Slot-T (3rd one but can't leave them laying around if they're cheap)

ZWMlZDAl.jpg

Tualeron 1,3GHz

1Krpn6ql.jpg

Matrox G200 AGP

HAZreqKl.jpg

Meh soundcard 😉

5UrnRC0l.jpg

It's nice to get a non-3Com NIC once in a while

zzyzvQVl.jpg

Also included: 3x 256MB PC133SDRAM; two hard drives; DVDRW; FDD; PSU

1982 to 2001

Reply 12103 of 53143, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

grabbed this off Craigslist today for $35. its in kind of in rough shape and the keyboard is likely going to need replaced or a lot of work done but it booted up ok with the right disks and has over 1mb of ram installed, not bad for sitting in the guys garage for the last 15+ years.

20160520_191221_zpst6suygji.jpg

Reply 12104 of 53143, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
soviet conscript wrote:

grabbed this off Craigslist today for $35. its in kind of in rough shape and the keyboard is likely going to need replaced or a lot of work done but it booted up ok with the right disks and has over 1mb of ram installed, not bad for sitting in the guys garage for the last 15+ years.

Don't forget to run vc on new disks.

Reply 12105 of 53143, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
soviet conscript wrote:

That's a nice little retro machine you found. Need's to get cleaned, that's for shure. 😀
Just watch out for that joystick, I remember then as being fragile, even when they were sold brand new.
Whenever something tiny breaks inside, it becomes allmost useless.
It's a great joystick for stuntcar racer, never the less.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 12107 of 53143, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Purchased another full tower, what I have been able to tell from the photos until it arrives:

◙ 486DX
◙ AMI BIOS
◙ 1992 Octek motherboard with Headland chipset
◙ ISA slots
◙ 8 x 30 pin simms
◙ Pro Audio Spectrum (PAS16SL) sound card
◙ IDE Tape /IDE CD-ROM /3.5" and 5 1/4" drives
◙ HDD removed

Funky MHz display with buttons and 4 separate MHz LED's (clock/timer/+/-)

I assumed it was a 286/386 until I saw the bios sticker with the 486DX on it, I also can't see any barrel battery.

Can you guys add anything else from the photos?

7wEF2Bq.jpg
TjLroqB.jpg?1
7f74NHD.jpg

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 12109 of 53143, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gorgeous case with all the required storage options! Looks like a very early 486 system because of the apparent lack of local bus - ISA only it seems. Board says 1992 so it must be early '92 and therefore a DX33?

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 12111 of 53143, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

holy shit, that front panel...

Looks kind of.... Uhmmm.... Industrialistic-cool.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 12112 of 53143, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:
That's a nice little retro machine you found. Need's to get cleaned, that's for shure. :-) Just watch out for that joystick, I r […]
Show full quote
soviet conscript wrote:

That's a nice little retro machine you found. Need's to get cleaned, that's for shure. 😀
Just watch out for that joystick, I remember then as being fragile, even when they were sold brand new.
Whenever something tiny breaks inside, it becomes allmost useless.
It's a great joystick for stuntcar racer, never the less.

funny you should say that, it was broken with a rattling inside

anyways I opened it up and...pretty interesting RAM upgrade. from what I've read the bulk of the RAM upgrades were via the side expansion and not internal

20160521_134717_zpsebw63zsu.jpg

20160521_142229_zpsgxauhgl4.jpg

Reply 12113 of 53143, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cyrix200+ wrote:
I bought a disassembled, upgraded Fujitsu-Siemens Scenic 850/860 PC. Mainly for the CPU/Upgradeware Slotket, the rest was a bonu […]
Show full quote

I bought a disassembled, upgraded Fujitsu-Siemens Scenic 850/860 PC. Mainly for the CPU/Upgradeware Slotket, the rest was a bonus!

The mainboard, BX chipset. Does anybody know if the board will work with a standard ATX PSU? I will test later but just curious. I have also got the original PSU, but it's really dirty and smelly (nicotine). There is an additional connector on the PSU and mainboard right next to the ATX connector.

CXqRKS2l.jpg?1

Upgradeware Slot-T (3rd one but can't leave them laying around if they're cheap)

ZWMlZDAl.jpg

Tualeron 1,3GHz

1Krpn6ql.jpg

Matrox G200 AGP

HAZreqKl.jpg

Meh soundcard 😉

5UrnRC0l.jpg

It's nice to get a non-3Com NIC once in a while

zzyzvQVl.jpg

Also included: 3x 256MB PC133SDRAM; two hard drives; DVDRW; FDD; PSU

Not 100% sure if the pin out is standard but it looks like that takes a 20pin ATX PSU with a 6 pin AUX connector, which looks like half an AT connector.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 12114 of 53143, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ODwilly wrote:

Not 100% sure if the pin out is standard but it looks like that takes a 20pin ATX PSU with a 6 pin AUX connector, which looks like half an AT connector.

Here's a pic of an AT socket on the left and the ATX connectors on the right:

20160522_112730-1200x2133.jpg
Filename
File size
265.86 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

As you can see it supplies 3.3v and 5v. I've never seen it on a slot 1 board before by first P4 system came with this AT style aux connector so some PSUs do have it and it can't be that uncommon given how long it was around. People have made ATX to AT adaptors of their own so you could take that approach or you'll need something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-ATXPowerSupplie … r/dp/B001I3SM1C

Reply 12115 of 53143, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brassicGamer wrote:
Here's a pic of an AT socket on the left and the ATX connectors on the right: ... As you can see it supplies 3.3v and 5v. I've n […]
Show full quote
ODwilly wrote:

As you can see it supplies 3.3v and 5v. I've never seen it on a slot 1 board before by first P4 system came with this AT style aux connector so some PSUs do have it and it can't be that uncommon given how long it was around. People have made ATX to AT adaptors of their own so you could take that approach or you'll need something like this:

Before the square 4-pin connector and for a short period (I think early P4-late P3), it was pretty common for PSUs and motherboards to get their extra power through a half AT connector.
Then decent PSUs started providing both the 4-pin and the AT style connectors, until only the 4-pin survived.
So this was a standard way of powering the motherboard then, nothing proprietary to be afraid of.

brassicGamer wrote:

Gorgeous case with all the required storage options! Looks like a very early 486 system because of the apparent lack of local bus - ISA only it seems. Board says 1992 so it must be early '92 and therefore a DX33?

My thoughts exactly, these and the 30 pin simms. If I had to take a guess, I'd have said this is a 386!

Reply 12117 of 53143, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Whoa. That this is so cool!

rgart wrote:
Purchased another full tower, what I have been able to tell from the photos until it arrives: […]
Show full quote

Purchased another full tower, what I have been able to tell from the photos until it arrives:

Funky MHz display with buttons and 4 separate MHz LED's (clock/timer/+/-)

7wEF2Bq.jpg

1982 to 2001

Reply 12118 of 53143, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dug a bit deeper, it's a Fujitsu-Siemens specific connector for monitoring the PSU!

The manual says:

Temperature monitoring / system monitoring One goal of temperature and system monitoring is to reliably protect the computer har […]
Show full quote

Temperature monitoring / system monitoring
One goal of temperature and system monitoring is to reliably protect the computer hardware against
damage caused by overheating. In addition, any unnecessary noise is also to be prevented with a
reduced fan speed, and information is to be provided on the system state. The cover monitoring
protects the system from unauthorized opening.
The temperature and system monitoring are controlled by an onboard controller developed by
Fujitsu Siemens.
The following functions are supported:
Temperature monitoring:
Measurement of the processor temperature, measurement of the system temperature with an
onboard temperature sensor, measurement of the device temperature with an optional temperature
sensor (AUX).
Temperature control:
The temperature is controlled with the fan speed and/or by reducing the clock frequency of the
processor. The clock frequency of the processor is dependent on the setting in the BIOS setup.
Temperature-dependent processor speed control enables a reduced fan speed, decreasing noise.
Fan monitoring:
Fans that are no longer available, blocked or sticky fans are detected. Blocked or sticky fans are
operated with 12 V pulse voltage. Fans removed while the system is switched off are signaled by
the Display news LED when the system is switched on again and processed by the BIOS or the
application.
Fan control:
The fans are regulated according to temperature (exception: auxiliary fan (AUX)).
Sensor monitoring:
A fault or removal of a temperature sensor is detected. In this case all fans affected by this sensor
run at maximum speed to achieve the greatest possible protection of the hardware. Temperature
sensors removed while the system is switched off are signaled by the Display news LED and
processed by the BIOS or the application.
Cover monitoring:
Unauthorized opening of the cover is detected, even when the system is switched off. However, this
will not be indicated until the system is operating again.
Voltage monitoring:
The voltages 12 V, 5 V and the CMOS battery are monitored.
Features
8 - English A26361-D1107-Z120-14-7419
With hardware monitoring - regardless of the operating system and processor - the advantages
compared to conventional software monitoring are clear:
− suitable for all operating systems and processor types
− no additional load on processor (performance)
− optimum reliability, even if process faults or faults are present in the operating system
− optimum noise reduction
Three different operating modes are available and can be configured inBIOS Setup - System
Management

S7BGfuBl.jpg

1ppiEvNl.jpg

brassicGamer wrote:
Here's a pic of an AT socket on the left and the ATX connectors on the right: […]
Show full quote
ODwilly wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-ATXPowerSupplie … r/dp/B001I3SM1C

1982 to 2001