VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 12800 of 53040, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought a nice backplane to go with the SBC posted above.
s-l800.jpg

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 12801 of 53040, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tikoellner wrote:
Bouht another ISA soundcard. I plan to get some break, as it's getting a bit insane. […]
Show full quote

Bouht another ISA soundcard. I plan to get some break, as it's getting a bit insane.

Today I bought Turtle Beach Tropez Classic you can see below. I was looking for this model for it's good SB compatibility. Other TB ISA soundcards don't seem to be good DOS performers. So this guy I bought it from also has Multisound Classic, Tahiti and Pinnacle (and others), but really only Tropez interests me, as it was built mostly for dos gaming.

p5282569_zpsjpokr1nw.jpg

I bought it together with Music Quest Midi Interface. For TB Tropez I payed ~50USD shipped.

Now I think my 'collection' only lacks some Roland card, but I simply cannot find any good offer for LAPC-I (and probably will not ever find it) or SCC-1

Where and how much for the Music Quest card?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 12802 of 53040, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:
tikoellner wrote:
Bouht another ISA soundcard. I plan to get some break, as it's getting a bit insane. […]
Show full quote

Bouht another ISA soundcard. I plan to get some break, as it's getting a bit insane.

Today I bought Turtle Beach Tropez Classic you can see below. I was looking for this model for it's good SB compatibility. Other TB ISA soundcards don't seem to be good DOS performers. So this guy I bought it from also has Multisound Classic, Tahiti and Pinnacle (and others), but really only Tropez interests me, as it was built mostly for dos gaming.

p5282569_zpsjpokr1nw.jpg

I bought it together with Music Quest Midi Interface. For TB Tropez I payed ~50USD shipped.

Now I think my 'collection' only lacks some Roland card, but I simply cannot find any good offer for LAPC-I (and probably will not ever find it) or SCC-1

Where and how much for the Music Quest card?

Well, that's the one I posted some posts above:

dscn21510001.jpg?w=700

It was 10USD shipped. The card is boxed. I guess pretty good money.

I found some guy in Poland who is getting rid of his collection, as he no longer has time for it. I already bought my Yamaha SW60XG from him. He has some other interesting stuff, like Turtle Beach Multisound Classic, some late Ad-Libs (well, nothing particular these ones), SW1000XG, GUS, etc. No Rolands unfortunetelly.

Reply 12803 of 53040, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
tikoellner wrote:
Show full quote

I don;t understand how everybody here is so rich as to be able to spend 50 USD on a little known ISA soundcard. Its getting harder and harder to compete with all of you guys on a 25 dollars a week budget 0.o

I'm on a $50/month budget here and I still manage to get retro gear sometimes. It's just a matter of luck. Save up over time and hope something shows up when you have money showed up. And try not to get upset when stuff sells in between caches of money. That's pretty much my retro computing life now. Try and get lucky and find deals if you're patient. I had an athlonXP ISA motherboard I wanted for a long time, kept showing up like $180+ online for years. Then suddenly one day found one for $30 and pounced on it. So just.. hang in there, save up, try to be patient, you'll get stuff eventually. I have less money than you and I still get things eventually.

Reply 12804 of 53040, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
tikoellner wrote:
Show full quote

p5282569_zpsjpokr1nw.jpg

I don;t understand how everybody here is so rich as to be able to spend 50 USD on a little known ISA soundcard. Its getting harder and harder to compete with all of you guys on a 25 dollars a week budget 0.o

That is why some of us are so pissed off with the rising prices and the greed of many resellers increasing the prices by two or three hundred %. It is only a matter time before half decent sounds cards will be close to $100, anything 3dfx will be over $100-150, half decent vlb cards $100 easily, most of the half decent socket 7 boards $50 to $100, and the pain goes on. Going to be hell for anyone wanting to build a 486 rig in five or ten years and probably will be more expensive than one or two months worth of payments on a new mercedes.

Who knows maybe the prices will drop like a rock as people are forced to dump almost everything they got thanks to the next lehman brothers.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 12805 of 53040, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Guys, I hope you're not angry with me about getting this card fot 50 quid and sharing this information.

I am well aware of the issue, but I don't really think I could get it cheaper nowadays. There's some dude selling this sort of card on Amibay for 150USD, not to mention absolutely absourdous offer - 500USD for Ensoniq Elite I made to acquire lately for 10USD equivalent shipped.

Just boycotting the offers does not seem the way to go, and this 50$ is quite moderate pricing to my taste. And living in Poland I am not millionaire, as you may imagine. The weight of every $ is probably more sensible to me than to you guys in USA.

But yeah, Lehman may take the prices back down. I hope it will sink along with the prices.

Reply 12806 of 53040, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I paid $450 for a motherboard & ram recently. But i sold like $500 to pay for it. You people need to relax.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 12807 of 53040, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tikoellner wrote:
Guys, I hope you're not angry with me about getting this card fot 50 quid and sharing this information. […]
Show full quote

Guys, I hope you're not angry with me about getting this card fot 50 quid and sharing this information.

I am well aware of the issue, but I don't really think I could get it cheaper nowadays. There's some dude selling this sort of card on Amibay for 150USD, not to mention absolutely absourdous offer - 500USD for Ensoniq Elite I made to acquire lately for 10USD equivalent shipped.

Just boycotting the offers does not seem the way to go, and this 50$ is quite moderate pricing to my taste. And living in Poland I am not millionaire, as you may imagine. The weight of every $ is probably more sensible to me than to you guys in USA.

But yeah, Lehman may take the prices back down. I hope it will sink along with the prices.

Maybe there are now more people collecting than before.

Last edited by Arctic on 2016-07-10, 21:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12809 of 53040, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stamasd wrote:
Bought a nice backplane to go with the SBC posted above. http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/pqMAAOSwSHZWgbLx/s-l800.jpg […]
Show full quote

Bought a nice backplane to go with the SBC posted above.
s-l800.jpg

how do you know your sbc will work with the backplane? is there a standard or just checking if itll fit optically?
also can you insert 2 sbc here and operate simultaneously?

Reply 12810 of 53040, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Who is: "lehman brothers"?? 😕

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 12811 of 53040, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Lehman brothers was a very large American investment bank which went bankrupt in the wake of the housing bubble collapse of 2007.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 12812 of 53040, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nforce4max wrote:

That is why some of us are so pissed off with the rising prices and the greed of many resellers increasing the prices by two or three hundred %. It is only a matter time before half decent sounds cards will be close to $100, anything 3dfx will be over $100-150, half decent vlb cards $100 easily, most of the half decent socket 7 boards $50 to $100, and the pain goes on. Going to be hell for anyone wanting to build a 486 rig in five or ten years and probably will be more expensive than one or two months worth of payments on a new mercedes.

Who knows maybe the prices will drop like a rock as people are forced to dump almost everything they got thanks to the next lehman brothers.

Prices will keep people from building 15 different 486 machines down the road, is that really a bad thing? When things are free or close to it people tend to hoard.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 12813 of 53040, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mrau wrote:

how do you know your sbc will work with the backplane? is there a standard or just checking if itll fit optically?
also can you insert 2 sbc here and operate simultaneously?

Well they're both PICMG-specified so I'd be really surprised if they didn't work together. Not sure about 2 SBCs working simultaneously though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PICMG_1.0
https://web.archive.org/web/20130120061616/ht … rnal/pciisa.htm
https://web.archive.org/web/20111201061431/ht … df/pcishort.pdf

Last edited by stamasd on 2016-07-10, 19:27. Edited 1 time in total.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 12814 of 53040, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Who's buying at those high prices? Somebody must be; otherwise the prices wouldn't be that high or wouldn't stay that high for very long, as the sellers realize that nobody's buying their stuff. Is it rich stupid people, the kind of people who buy from Hammacher Schlemmer?

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 12815 of 53040, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think that's also the way for those sellers to justify the prices that are to some point lower.

If you put LAPC-I for 500USD on ebay, it's easier to claim 200USD for it later on on Amibay. It's a kind of speculation game I reckon.

I guess they know they woun't sell it at initial price, unless very lucky.

Reply 12816 of 53040, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keenmaster486 wrote:

Lehman brothers was a very large American investment bank which went bankrupt in the wake of the housing bubble collapse of 2007.

Ahhh.... Them. Have forgotten all about the name.

Reply 12817 of 53040, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brostenen wrote:
keenmaster486 wrote:

Ahhh.... Them. Have forgotten all about the name.

Yeah, but motherfu**** from Goldman Sachs, UBS, JP Morgan, etc. are still kicking. And at some point either the state or - more probably - the people will take them down. Can't wait, even though I never had any mortage.

Reply 12818 of 53040, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Unknown_K wrote:

Prices will keep people from building 15 different 486 machines down the road, is that really a bad thing? When things are free or close to it people tend to hoard.

Well... For once, I will gladly take some money. As well as I think it would be stupid if others did not profit a bit.
That said. The prices are insanely high. I think that 22 US Dollars for a 286/386/486 boards with CPU and mem
seems perfectly ok to me. The same for ET-4000 or other ISA vga cards. SB16 cards should be like 50 US
Dollars and stuff like AWE64-gold's or AWE32 with OPL chip are 20/22 US Dollars top.

Prices higher than this is just insane. As only a select few can join this hobby. Prices today sickens me.

Reply 12819 of 53040, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can we just stick to posting what we bought and comments on the items themselves here in the future? The constant recurrence of prices and such is easily starting to take up pages worth of this thread, and others as well.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1