VOGONS

Advice on a 486 Build

Topic actions

Reply 140 of 154, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What sort of mouse are you using? That's just a physical adapter you have... the mouse still has to support serial operation. A PS2-only or a PS2/USB mouse won't work. That includes pretty much any mouse made in the last 10-12 years.

Reply 141 of 154, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

What sort of mouse are you using? That's just a physical adapter you have... the mouse still has to support serial operation. A PS2-only or a PS2/USB mouse won't work. That includes pretty much any mouse made in the last 10-12 years.

The PS2 mice I have here look old (one of them has 3 buttons instead of 2 and no scroll wheel) but I guess they might not be working because they don't support serial operation. I actually have some serial mice somewhere, maybe I should just use them. Is there any mouse you can buy new now that would work with this system?

Reply 142 of 154, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are still some new serial mice for sale, just check Ebay or google it.

From my experience, using PS/2 mice in adapters is a hit and miss affair, I know of no way to know in advance wether a PS/2 mouse will work as a serial mouse or not.

Reply 143 of 154, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just found an ancient serial mouse in the basement here. It works but wasn't moving too well. I opened it up and found out why! Lots of dirt on the rollers. So I am trying to use a flat head screw driver to scrape it off 🤣. Also found some on eBay as suggested.

Reply 144 of 154, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It might be better to clean the ball and the axis movy thingies with a wet cloth 😉

Reply 145 of 154, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Believe me a wet cloth would not work in this case. The dirt has been on there so long that there are some tiny spots of rust!

* Edit, actually a flame thrower might be useful....

Reply 146 of 154, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How bout you soak it in a bowl of soapwater for a night?
(without the electronics plz 😜 )

Reply 147 of 154, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually, the dirt had been on there so long that it had actually started to corrode the metal rollers! But, it doesn't matter as I found some really good ones at home 😁

Reply 148 of 154, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tried some different serial mice last night. The first 2 worked but would stop working intermittently for some reason. The 3rd one I tried was a Microsoft serial mouse and that works. No idea why the other two didn't work. It wasn't a problem with the mouse itself but the computer just didn't like them for some reason. I bought a new serial mouse from eBay. Not sure what make it is, but it wasn't a Microsoft one. Bit worried the new one won't work like the first 2 I tried.

Reply 149 of 154, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How do you disable long file name support in MSDOS 7.10? I thought it was disabled but when I went to run Defrag it said I couldn't because of support for long file names and FAT32.

Reply 150 of 154, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Windows defrag shouldn't have any trouble with long filenames. Are you running an old DOS version?

Reply 151 of 154, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

Windows defrag shouldn't have any trouble with long filenames. Are you running an old DOS version?

I don't have and don't intend on putting that on this machine.

Just tried running Doom. I ran the setup program first and chose Sound Blaster as the card for music device and sound fx device. It tries to start but freezes the computer. If I leave the sound as PC speaker and music device as sound blaster it works. It asks for your sound card settings which I gave it (I know what they are from using the diagnose.exe). Not sure what the issue is there.

Reply 153 of 154, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:

IRQ issue?

How do I found out if it is?

Reply 154 of 154, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Used MS Diagnostics and looked at the list of IRQ's. The Parallel Port was assigned to IRQ 5 (like the Sound Blaster). I went in to BIOS and disabled the port. Still doesn't work though. Best I can do right now is to put sound effects on PC Speaker and music on Sound Blaster.

This is very frustrating 😢