USB to Serial Mouse using the Pi Pico!

Topic actions

Reply 160 of 231, by CalamityLime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-06-23, 13:35:

Very nice.

I really like that bendy/teardrop trace plugin you are using.

yeah, they work really well

Be Happy, it's only going to get worse.
- Projects
Limes Strange 3D models
USB-2-232

Reply 161 of 231, by CalamityLime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I assembled and done some light testing to one unit.
It looks good and what limited functionality I tested, works well!

I am really happy to say that you can access the settings terminal over the usb mini-B port, even windows sets up the correct drivers for you!
This particular unit is going to be my dev unit.

So far there are only 2 errors in this board, the pwr led needs to be flipped and c12 need to be removed due to coil whine.

Attachments

- Projects
Limes Strange 3D models
USB-2-232

Reply 162 of 231, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sweet!

Might have to get one of these.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 163 of 231, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wonder if you could make a rear bracket version entirely out of pcb. Like attach it to the bracket you already made and have it all coming out of the rear. Even mount the button on the bracket and such.

Just brainstorming. The way you made it there is pretty easy to use. Just sit behind the monitor or something.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 164 of 231, by CalamityLime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-06-24, 09:58:

I wonder if you could make a rear bracket version entirely out of pcb. Like attach it to the bracket you already made and have it all coming out of the rear. Even mount the button on the bracket and such.

Just brainstorming. The way you made it there is pretty easy to use. Just sit behind the monitor or something.

It is possible, however 3d printing one would be most effective since a pci bracket is longer than 100mm. PCB fab costs go up when the board is bigger than 100x100.
Try it with the pci bracket I made already, costs a lot more than a basic PCB.

- Projects
Limes Strange 3D models
USB-2-232

Reply 165 of 231, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CalamityLime wrote on 2022-06-24, 12:50:
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-06-24, 09:58:

It is possible, however 3d printing one would be most effective since a pci bracket is longer than 100mm. PCB fab costs go up when the board is bigger than 100x100.
Try it with the pci bracket I made already, costs a lot more than a basic PCB.

Rotate it 45*? 😀 boom! No longer long.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 166 of 231, by CalamityLime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

IF the engineer that reviews PCB's accepts this, I'll be pretty surprised but for the lols, I'll save it to cart to see what happens.

Attachments

- Projects
Limes Strange 3D models
USB-2-232

Reply 167 of 231, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This reminds me of the time my friend and I made a order for a phase change cooler.

Quantity 0.1

90% discount.

It was like a hour before the dude in orders emailed us lololol

Question: is that the order page? It shows the pcb assembled… will they make it assembled like that? I figured you would have to order two parts and put it together yourself?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 168 of 231, by CalamityLime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

they rejected it. asking if it was a 1 or 2 layer board.
I wonder if I add random traces will they take it

- Projects
Limes Strange 3D models
USB-2-232

Reply 169 of 231, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CalamityLime wrote on 2022-06-24, 18:48:

they rejected it. asking if it was a 1 or 2 layer board.
I wonder if I add random traces will they take it

Just flood the whole thing. Add silk to make it look cool maybe? :p

Sometimes with jlc I just keep submitting it until they make it. Lol. Jlc likes to conplain about plated edges, but when they make it it turns out fine.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 170 of 231, by CalamityLime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

They emailed me.

It would seem that I put in the order as a 1 layer board and they got confused, they even showed me a screenshot of the software they use, it's kinda cool

- Projects
Limes Strange 3D models
USB-2-232

Reply 171 of 231, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CalamityLime wrote on 2022-06-26, 14:32:

They emailed me.

It would seem that I put in the order as a 1 layer board and they got confused, they even showed me a screenshot of the software they use, it's kinda cool

You can order it in aluminum pcb btw with jlc.

I think I recall you saying you were using pcbway? Jlc’s software is constantly glitching out and causing issues before production 🤣

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 172 of 231, by CalamityLime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

my guess is while trying to order the first time, I selected aluminium said "feck that" to the price and set it back to a fr4, which leaves the number of layers set to one.

- Projects
Limes Strange 3D models
USB-2-232

Reply 173 of 231, by CalamityLime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yay the name actually fits!

Attachments

- Projects
Limes Strange 3D models
USB-2-232

Reply 174 of 231, by CalamityLime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

​Version 1.3.2 released

https://github.com/LimeProgramming/USB-serial … ases/tag/v1.3.2

​This is a bug fix release. The device would save your settings but not load them. I don't know how this got past my tests but it did.
​Sorry about that.

- Projects
Limes Strange 3D models
USB-2-232

Reply 175 of 231, by CalamityLime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found the bug above while working on version 2.

Today I managed to get an experiment sorted for the KBD board. The serial terminal is now managed from Core 1 instead of Core 0 like before, the change is significant because Core 0 is required to be the core that writes to flash as well as manage TinyUSB. With core 1 now handling the terminal, core 0 is free to handle the converting USB keyboard commands to at keyboard commands.

This may not sound like much but it means that the adapter can be receiving and sending keyboards commands to your computer so your computer can send them back to the adapter over the serial port for the terminal!

Huzzah!

- Projects
Limes Strange 3D models
USB-2-232

Reply 176 of 231, by CalamityLime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello there

Well I'm not sure if this is the update people want but it's an update people are getting.

After tinkering with the source code for Cutemouse I believe I figured out how to make it operate at the various baud rates supported by the USB-2-232, I got the version 2.0 working @ 2400 baud so far. version 2.1 is a bit more complicated as it changed assemblers and said assembler has itself changed. I did manage to compile version 2.1 but the higher baud didn't work (but with the mess of files I had at that point I may have just compiled stock cutemouse by mistake) So I'll get to work on compiling cutemouse for the various baud rates. Right now it's one exe per baud rate and I'm not sure if I can make one exe to cover all the baud rates or not since it likes to default to mousesystems if all else fails but we'll see.

-Lime

- Projects
Limes Strange 3D models
USB-2-232

Reply 177 of 231, by CalamityLime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey there everyone!

After some delays, I got modified versions of the cutemouse driver working.

I recompiled CuteMouse version 1.9.1, 2.0 and 2.1, just changing the latch divider parameter to work at different baud rates.
There's support for 1200, 2400, 4800, 9600, 19200 Baud in every language which cutemouse is available in.

The compiled driver's are available from the GitHub!
https://github.com/LimeProgramming/USB-serial-mouse-adapter

- Projects
Limes Strange 3D models
USB-2-232

Reply 178 of 231, by CalamityLime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey there!

It's been a while but I've picked this project up again and spent this weekend tacking the next step of this project that had been putting me off. Figuring out how to talk to the USB keyboard, yes it sounds silly but it meant dealing with TinyUSB and I really didn't want to.

In good news:

• I figured that part out, it's weird but I got there with it. All it does right now is flash all 3 LEDS when the keyboard is connected.
  • TinyUSB has been updated and now it supports USB hubs better and works out of the box with my KVM! (Bad news, pico SDK uses an old version of TinyUSB so you still have to hack in a working copy of TinyUSB)

Hopefully things will start falling into place and I can get cracking with the rest of this project!

- Projects
Limes Strange 3D models
USB-2-232

Reply 179 of 231, by CalamityLime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did not mess up the hardware design, the PS2 port does indeed talk to the computer just fine!
delighted!

- Projects
Limes Strange 3D models
USB-2-232