Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 16408 of 53019, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
386SX wrote:

Found a Phenom 2 X3 720 black and first time i use a am3 cpu. What can you say about it? How it run with a 890gx chipset?

I still use an Athlon II X4 640 BE in my secondary gaming rig and I think they are phenomenally good CPUs and aged extremely well thanks to their architecture being built with multithreading in mind. The Phenom would likely benefit from a larger cache in non-gaming scenarios tremendously, but I suggest you definitely try unlocking that 4th (and 5th.. and 6th 😀 ) core.. you never know!

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 16409 of 53019, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kixs wrote:

What would be the reason of buying a motherboard without any chips in the sockets? CPUs and keyboard chips aren't hard to find, but bios chips.... and (I guess) pay more then $10 for it 😕

The BIOS is no issue at all, I have already 2 very similar boards, see here
SUNTAC 80286 Mainboard help

I am sure one or bith will work. Will post the image of the other board, too.

Also have enough spare CPUs, memory is standard, keyboard chip is the most difficult but I also have several to try.

Yes, was more than $10 😉 But condition seems to be excellent and I will keep it as collectors item not for use 😉

Reply 16411 of 53019, by c0keb0ttle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought this lot for €20 + shipping on a local trading site.

245499995_47f78f76-aa42-47cf-83f9-6d2302a3051c.jpg
Filename
245499995_47f78f76-aa42-47cf-83f9-6d2302a3051c.jpg
File size
118.55 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The sellers simply lists it as "amd k6" and didn't know anything about the motherboard, but I compared images on Google Images, and am fairly certain it is a Chaintech 5AGM2 Super Socket 7 board.

We shall see when i receive it. If it's a standard Socket 7 board I can still use it.

Also included is a working AT PSU, and some cards no one really cares about.

Reply 16414 of 53019, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bought 3 AGP cards for $3, seller threw in a free ISA 16-bit sound card for free

med_gallery_60983_11505_58194.jpg
Diamond Stealth II G460 (i740), I had this exact same card in my PII-350. I may use it with a Voodoo 2 in a future PII build.

med_gallery_60983_11505_317625.jpg
S3 Trio3D/2X, I basically got this because I thought it was PCI.. Kind of shocked to find out it was actually AGP, never saw AGP S3 cards before.

med_gallery_60983_11505_648423.jpg
Matrox G200A, I bought this for no other reason than that I use a Mystique 220 for my Pentium MMX build and like its 2D even though DOS game scrolling can be choppy at times. No idea what to do with it, or what it's capable of

med_gallery_60983_11505_553620.jpg
(Best Union?) MF-1869 16-bit ISA sound card, a bonus but not really useful as the only PC I'd use it in would require a card with an IDE controller for the CD-ROM

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 16415 of 53019, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote:
Just ordered this unused 80286 Mainboard in its original box with manual and drivers - but without CPU, BIOS and memory. Not che […]
Show full quote

Just ordered this unused 80286 Mainboard in its original box with manual and drivers - but without CPU, BIOS and memory. Not cheap, but difficult to find today I think...

Need to decide if I keep the battery or not after reception...

If somebody is interested - the shop has more of them in stock.

mb1.jpg
mb2.jpg

For how munch do they sell these ? I've got a 286 in a very unusual form factor which seems to work but unfortunately I've not found how to plug a keyboard on it (there is zero plug on the mobo, and I had to solder wires on it to actually power it on) so having an AT mobo will definitely be better than a mobo that you can't put anywhere and that has no keyboard connector. Since I don't think I'll ever be able to use that board, I may just salvage the chips and put them on that other board

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 16416 of 53019, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:
386SX wrote:

Found a Phenom 2 X3 720 black and first time i use a am3 cpu. What can you say about it? How it run with a 890gx chipset?

I still use an Athlon II X4 640 BE in my secondary gaming rig and I think they are phenomenally good CPUs and aged extremely well thanks to their architecture being built with multithreading in mind. The Phenom would likely benefit from a larger cache in non-gaming scenarios tremendously, but I suggest you definitely try unlocking that 4th (and 5th.. and 6th 😀 ) core.. you never know!

I wish that AMD had kept on even for just another run with Stars as that was a really well rounded architecture unlike the hot running shit that people got stuck with for years. I hope that AMD doesn't make a mistake like that ever again.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 16417 of 53019, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dexvx wrote:
Creative Sound Blaster Live! X-Gamer. Normally nothing to be excited about, but seller had everything (manuals, driver CD, demo […]
Show full quote

Creative Sound Blaster Live! X-Gamer. Normally nothing to be excited about, but seller had everything (manuals, driver CD, demo CD, and even all 3 games). Box was also in good condition.

NIlyY4o.jpg

How does the sound quality on that compare to the standard and value models? I run a value in my P3-900 machine and I always get a slight bit of humming at top volumes on my headphones

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 16418 of 53019, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
dexvx wrote:

Creative Sound Blaster Live! X-Gamer. Normally nothing to be excited about, but seller had everything (manuals, driver CD, demo CD, and even all 3 games). Box was also in good condition.

How does the sound quality on that compare to the standard and value models? I run a value in my P3-900 machine and I always get a slight bit of humming at top volumes on my headphones

It's still a Live! Value card.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 16419 of 53019, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GL1zdA wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
dexvx wrote:

It's still a Live! Value card.

So its a value with a black PCB? Well, if theres literally no difference that has to be the most ass backwards useless product I've ever seen from Creative.

I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 16420 of 53019, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

So its a value with a black PCB? Well, if theres literally no difference that has to be the most ass backwards useless product I've ever seen from Creative.

Pretty much. But the way I looked at it, I would've bought Descent 3 anyways, so all this stuff for basically the cost of (USPS Medium Flat rate) shipping seems great.

Reply 16421 of 53019, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dexvx wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Pretty much. But the way I looked at it, I would've bought Descent 3 anyways, so all this stuff for basically the cost of (USPS Medium Flat rate) shipping seems great.

Yeah True. Myself though I would have bought one of the many compilations that are oh so cheap and abundant on eBay which contained Descent III and gotten more games for my money. Hardware wise, I'm pretty solid right now and relatively well prepared for critical component failures.

Maybe I'm weird for collecting compilations though.

Reply 16422 of 53019, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have these on the way now.

PAS 16 - $15 shipped.

Aztech Sound Galaxy NX Pro - supposedly has a dead channel, but it was cheap and should hopefully be an easy fix. ($8.95 + shipping). It also was not listed by the actual model name.. just the model number so I had to do a bit of research to find out exactly what it was.
Yay for a card that has a ton of compatibility - Adlib, SB Pro 2.0, Covox, Disney Sound Source, real OPL3, Windows Sound system. And a good MPU-401 interface supposedly.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 16423 of 53019, by ATi_Loyalist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

asIIL6p.jpg?1
Brand spankin' new X850 Pro, dying for an XT PE BIOS flash!

P4/XP Rig: P4C800 | P4 3.4 | Radeon X850 Pro
A64/XP Rig : A8V | A64 X2 4400+ | X1950 Pro
Ancient Rig: Pentium 166 W | S3 Trio

Reply 16424 of 53019, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Collecting compilations isn't weird, but offering other adults advice on how to better spend their money is. Unless you're not an adult, in which case your behaviour makes sense 😀

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 16425 of 53019, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
dexvx wrote:

Yeah True. Myself though I would have bought one of the many compilations that are oh so cheap and abundant on eBay which contained Descent III and gotten more games for my money. Hardware wise, I'm pretty solid right now and relatively well prepared for critical component failures.

Also, if it means anything, the my X-Gamer is CT4760. I have a Live! Value that is CT4830. The X-Gamer has (probably faux) gold connectors while the Value has the plastic color coded ones.

Also technically I bought the below setup years ago, but I just powered it on now. Asus P4GPL-X (i915PL Socket 478) with Asus CT-479 adapter running a Pentium-M 730. I remember doing 12x166 = 2.0GHz easy, but it hit the wall around 2.2GHz. May buy a cheap Pentium-M to overclock. GPU is a HIS ATI X800 PCI-E (which looks remarkably similar to ATI_Loyalist's X850.

Y4ZwHfb.jpg

Reply 16426 of 53019, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Collecting compilations isn't weird, but offering other adults advice on how to better spend their money is. Unless you're not an adult, in which case your behaviour makes sense 😀

But if you save money, then you can buy more retro gear 😁

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK