VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 16600 of 53178, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, my B1000r "Special Edition" arrived today and I am extremely disappointed. Instead of a Geforce 256 DDR I got a TNT 2 Pro. I don't understand how that happens unless someone swapped the cards out to keep the more valuable one. It's not really a special edition without that card.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 16601 of 53178, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
luckybob wrote:

so are anti-static bags. electricity cant get into the parts if the bag shorts everything out. I've had people with no computer knowledge ship boards with foil on the back. You have to remove any batteries, and the bags are much more durable, but if you have no bags, foil gets the job done.

But bags (real ones) are not conductive on both sides. anti-static bags (pink) cam be, but not the real ESD bags (black/gray mesh bags). This is why you never set parts on a ESD bag. Foil May work, but any static zap will transfer the current to the card. Its better then directly zapping a card. But still not something you want to use unless of you have too.

Reply 16602 of 53178, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got the other XPS in. And got some really good news along with some bad. Good news is I got a P4 Gallatin EE. 😀 Bad news is one of the CPU fans is about as shot as it can get.

Attachments

• IMG_20170411_135208.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20170411_135208.jpg
    File size
    810.52 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 16603 of 53178, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought this Upgradeware P478 Socket 423 to 478 adapter. A really useless toy! 😁

The Nigerian scammers who now owns upgradeware.com has made a "robots.txt" file that blocks the site from the Internet Archive hindering me from accessing compatibility lists and other useful information , very nice! 😵

Some sources state that there are two versions of this adapter, one for Intel i850 s423 motherboards in OEM systems such as Dell and Compaq and one for all other motherboards, if that is the case this is probably the one intended for OEM Intel motherboards. I have read on the Internets that some people have had issues running Northwood CPUs in these adapters, that could be BIOS issues or it could be that the Intel OEM version of the adapter can't handle the Northwood CPUs when used in other motherboards.

I'm 100% sure that my Asus P4T does support Northwood CPUs and also the "P478-adapter" but I don't know if I will run into trouble with Northwood CPUs if this indeed turns out to be the version intended for use with Intel OEM motherboards, I guess I will find out. My hope is that the differences between the adapter versions (if there even are two versions, the Internets isn't sure) won't affect the adapters compatibility with the Asus P4T. In any case I have scores of Willamette Socket 478 CPUs I can spank using the adapter if it won't run Northwoods in the P4T and I will probably stumble on a suitable Intel OEM motherboard sooner or later.

For those who have seen this adapter on Ebay I can add that I did not pay the full asking price and the adapter had free US shipping but I will have to pay for economy shipping to Sweden from the Shipito box in Nevada.

Upgradeware P478 Socket 423 to 478 adapter.jpg
Filename
Upgradeware P478 Socket 423 to 478 adapter.jpg
File size
183.78 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 16604 of 53178, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This chap and I go a long way back.. Feels good to be reunited (even though I have no Socket 3 boards)..

med_gallery_60983_11505_657534.jpg

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 16605 of 53178, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xplus93 wrote:

Well, my B1000r "Special Edition" arrived today and I am extremely disappointed. Instead of a Geforce 256 DDR I got a TNT 2 Pro. I don't understand how that happens unless someone swapped the cards out to keep the more valuable one. It's not really a special edition without that card.

Well, literally a decade+ has passed since that system was configured. Other scenarios are that the GeForce DDR broke, or was upgraded (then downgraded when selling the systme).

xplus93 wrote:

Got the other XPS in. And got some really good news along with some bad. Good news is I got a P4 Gallatin EE. 😀 Bad news is one of the CPU fans is about as shot as it can get.

That is awesome. P4 3.4EE represents the very best you can get out of socket 478 (unless you're counting CT-479). I am looking for a 3.2/3.4EE myself, but they are relatively rare.

At lunch break, I visited a new (for me) Computer Recycling shop close by. I scored this for $8, not sure if it works or not. I don't even have a VGA pass through cable. Real bummer its the 8MB version, but nevertheless a V2. Physically it looks fine, some scratches but nothing seemingly major (anyone's input on its condition is greatly appreciated).

ClZ395U.jpg

N6KHUw2.jpg

Reply 16606 of 53178, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You don't need a passthrough cable to test the card. Just connect monitor cable to the output of Voodoo2 when starting game on Voodoo2.

Otherwise get another one and you have a decent SLI.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 16607 of 53178, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xplus93 wrote:

IMO the seller most likely swapped the cards upon realizing the card alone sold for what he sold the system for. I'd check his eBay for a DDR in the upcoming days. If you wanted you may have a case to backcharge via PayPal for not representing it as having been modified.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 16608 of 53178, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kixs wrote:

You don't need a passthrough cable to test the card. Just connect monitor cable to the output of Voodoo2 when starting game on Voodoo2.

I just tried that. Windows 98 definitely detects the card, and I can install the V2 drivers (driver Voodoo2-30202), but after reboot, I get a mini-GL error about no V2 cards detected. Furthermore, 3DMark99 video card drop down doesn't include the V2. Going to try some more drivers out later today.

Reply 16609 of 53178, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
xplus93 wrote:

IMO the seller most likely swapped the cards upon realizing the card alone sold for what he sold the system for. I'd check his eBay for a DDR in the upcoming days. If you wanted you may have a case to backcharge via PayPal for not representing it as having been modified.

Depends on how the seller listed the item. If it said it had a 256 DDR it should be in there, if he used a link to the specs same as above. State of item also says alot.
2 options: confront seller or open a case, easiest is object not as described where you claim the 256 DDR should be inside originally and was not stated to be otherwise this is most likely a auto win on ebay and the seller knows this.

Reply 16610 of 53178, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Richo wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
xplus93 wrote:

Depends on how the seller listed the item. If it said it had a 256 DDR it should be in there, if he used a link to the specs same as above. State of item also says alot.
2 options: confront seller or open a case, easiest is object not as described where you claim the 256 DDR should be inside originally and was not stated to be otherwise this is most likely a auto win on ebay and the seller knows this.

I usually contact the seller first before opening a case. But, if it wasn't stated that the DDR card was in there, then there isn't much you can do.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 16611 of 53178, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dexvx wrote:
kixs wrote:

I just tried that. Windows 98 definitely detects the card, and I can install the V2 drivers (driver Voodoo2-30202), but after reboot, I get a mini-GL error about no V2 cards detected. Furthermore, 3DMark99 video card drop down doesn't include the V2. Going to try some more drivers out later today.

If you haven't already, go here: http://www.falconfly.de/voodoo2.htm

Reply 16612 of 53178, by deleted_Rc

User metadata

I ussually contact the seller first before opening a case. But, if it wasn't stated that the DDR card was in there, then there isn't much you can do.

Depends, if the item has been altered in any case that would void warranty he needs to inform you of it. Ignorance Is no excuse, the system had certain specs and it should have a Geforce DDR 64 mb in it and not a tnt. Even if replaced later on its logical to upgrade not downgrade. If the seller put in a better card he would've had a case but now Imo no. Contact him and if uncooperative just sent it back or open a case either way you win, cut him a deal that he sent you te card he probably took out for positive feedback.
Yes I've have experience dealing with special sellers online.

Can you sent a link of the original listing?

Reply 16613 of 53178, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:

Looks like some (3-4) of the 'legs' of on the corner of one of the 3dfx chips has been severed. So that's likely why. Going to see if I can attempt a repair. If not, I will just eBay it.

Reply 16614 of 53178, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:

Looks like some (3-4) of the 'legs' of on the corner of one of the 3dfx chips has been severed. So that's likely why. Going to see if I can attempt a repair. If not, I will just eBay it.

I would keep it. 8$ USD is not that bad for a (supposed) dead Diamond V2. They look nice in a cabinet and they're a piece of computer/gaming history. 😊

Reply 16615 of 53178, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dexvx wrote:
kithylin wrote:

Share a photo of the damage? Unless traces are wrecked you could probably solder them back in place with wires or copper pins?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 16616 of 53178, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah, the mailman.

Apart from ASUS VL/I-486SV2GX4 the package also contained these two cards:

20170412_123627_zps0bmhhhrx.jpg

Top: Adaptec AVA-2820 SCSI/IDE controller (I did not find any pictures of this device in the web)
Bottom: rather uninteresting Hercules VL-Stingray ARK based VLB video card

Reply 16617 of 53178, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tikoellner wrote:
Ah, the mailman. […]
Show full quote

Ah, the mailman.

Apart from ASUS VL/I-486SV2GX4 the package also contained these two cards:

20170412_123627_zps0bmhhhrx.jpg

Top: Adaptec AVA-2820 SCSI/IDE controller (I did not find any pictures of this device in the web)

Ah, the Adaptec SCSI controller I didn't buy in favour of my 1520B ISA card. AFAIK their full-feature VLB SCSI controller, should work with Adaptec's standard drivers.

Reply 16618 of 53178, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That SCSI/IDE controller is very nice, I have the AVA-2825 model (http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … 921&menustate=0). Best performing controller I've come across for VLB.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 16619 of 53178, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And here's the main part of my today's haul:

ff1f2c52-e4d3-45d6-90fa-3e0c7c18c1db_zpsua9mw6vj.jpg

I was looking for this board for some time now. The last one I bought was dead, but this is said to be fully working. No marks, scratches, nothing.