Reply 18980 of 53183, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yawetaG wrote:
Predator99 wrote:

- some sort of ASUS PCI SCSI/Soundcard with a Vibra Chip

Hold onto this one. Several ASUS motherboards had optional proprietary SCSI cards that allowed the motherboard to boot from either IDE or SCSI (as opposed to only having SCSI boot with no devices attached to the IDE bus, like with regular SCSI cards), and this might be one of those cards. It will only work with specific motherboards, though.

cj_reha wrote:

That Asus SCSI/soundcard is made for the Asus MediaBus, an expansion they put on some socket 7 boards.

You are both right! Didnt remember this - I own such board: P/I P55T2P4S. Seems I can make a "double SCSI" out of it 🤣

IMG_7884r.jpg
Filename
IMG_7884r.jpg
File size
2.41 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_7886r.jpg
Filename
IMG_7886r.jpg
File size
2.83 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 18981 of 53183, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ASUS had different revisions of Mediabus, so make sure your T2P4 is compatible with the card.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 18982 of 53183, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

ASUS had different revisions of Mediabus, so make sure your T2P4 is compatible with the card.

It is. They both use Rev. 2.0 of the media bus. According to wikipedia, Rev. 1.2 and 2.0 ain't physically compatible with each other.

Reply 18983 of 53183, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thought I scored a Quadro4 900 XGL for $15 shipped. But no display on boot up, and the fan doesn't work either.

Easy come, easy go.

IMG_0648.JPG
Filename
IMG_0648.JPG
File size
2.44 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 18984 of 53183, by c0keb0ttle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found this MusicQuest card locally for a very good price! It came with the box, but without the cable which I had to buy separately from Ebay, Still came to a very good price (<$50) in total.

mqx-32m.jpg
Filename
mqx-32m.jpg
File size
252.69 KiB
Views
File comment
MusicQuest MQX-32M
File license

I was using the (excellent) clone card I'd bought on AmiBay, but I can finally use a time typical card instead. 😀

Reply 18985 of 53183, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
boxpressed wrote:

Thought I scored a Quadro4 900 XGL for $15 shipped. But no display on boot up, and the fan doesn't work either.

Easy come, easy go.

IMG_0648.JPG

Maybe it's not getting power?

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 18986 of 53183, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
boxpressed wrote:

Easy come, easy go.

IMG_0648.JPG

I looked at the caps and they look okay. Might as well check the caps, chips, and if possible, replace the fan since it might be seized up.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 18987 of 53183, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
c0keb0ttle wrote:

Found this MusicQuest card locally for a very good price! It came with the box, but without the cable which I had to buy separately from Ebay, Still came to a very good price (<$50) in total.

mqx-32m.jpg

I was using the (excellent) clone card I'd bought on AmiBay, but I can finally use a time typical card instead. 😀

Please update us at some point when you test games, I have read in the past that this 2in1 MPU design although great for music production introduces incompatibilities with games.
AFAIK this card is just 2 MPUs glued together with some extra functionality when it comes to channel managing (or something along these lines)

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 18988 of 53183, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
boxpressed wrote:

Easy come, easy go.

IMG_0648.JPG

Whats up with the 3 pin fan header?

Reply 18989 of 53183, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Scrapped a HP CoreDuo laptop, bought an itx case and hp 479 itx motherboard to utilize the CPU in a mini media center setup

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 18990 of 53183, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:
boxpressed wrote:

Easy come, easy go.

IMG_0648.JPG

Whats up with the 3 pin fan header?

That's probably for hooking up a new heatsink that has the 3-pin header, which was common for CPU and system fans.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 18991 of 53183, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I picked up a PCI-E X800XT 256MB for 10 bucks and a AMD Athlon 64 3800+ system with 2GB RAM for 30 bucks. Makes for a killer 2004 era system. I always said to myself I wouldn't build a XP era system but here I am. 🤣 I'm trying to identify the motherboard but CPUZ hangs when loading the program. The mobo PCB is all black which makes it hard to read any text on the board.

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 18992 of 53183, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ODwilly wrote:

Scrapped a HP CoreDuo laptop, bought an itx case and hp 479 itx motherboard to utilize the CPU in a mini media center setup

OG CoreDuo laptop should be saved when possible. Its the Socket 423 of laptops, short lived and under-rated.

I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 18993 of 53183, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This one had a GeForce 7300, had coffee spilled on it and the video connectors were torn off the Mobo. Plus the caseing was shot to hell. I upgraded it to 7 and a 120gb back in 2012 and it ran as a daily until the other night. It saw a long hard service life and I'm happy the CPU is going to keep chugging along.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 18994 of 53183, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:
c0keb0ttle wrote:

mqx-32m.jpg

Please update us at some point when you test games, I have read in the past that this 2in1 MPU design although great for music production introduces incompatibilities with games.
AFAIK this card is just 2 MPUs glued together with some extra functionality when it comes to channel managing (or something along these lines)

Is there an extant thread on MPU-401 compatibility? I'd like to more formally run my MOTU card through it's paces and compare it with some other, um, eccentric MIDI gear.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 18995 of 53183, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ODwilly wrote:

This one had a GeForce 7300, had coffee spilled on it and the video connectors were torn off the Mobo. Plus the caseing was shot to hell. I upgraded it to 7 and a 120gb back in 2012 and it ran as a daily until the other night. It saw a long hard service life and I'm happy the CPU is going to keep chugging along.

Ouch. Dedicated GPU and all. But I agree, that thing was shot 🤣 even the rarest stuff is garbage beyond some point.

Reply 18996 of 53183, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
boxpressed wrote:

Easy come, easy go.

IMG_0648.JPG

had this a lot. It seems very hard to find a working ti4600 (Quadro or Geforce). It took me quite a few cards until i finally found a working one. Most of them did post but had memory problems.

Ti4200 is a very nice card as well and they are extremely easy (and cheap) to find and usually work in my experience.

Last edited by meljor on 2017-09-16, 06:46. Edited 2 times in total.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 18997 of 53183, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lazibayer wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

It is. They both use Rev. 2.0 of the media bus. According to wikipedia, Rev. 1.2 and 2.0 ain't physically compatible with each other.

There is also another version of this that uses a regular PCI slot combined with specific features in the motherboard's BIOS. This is used by socket 7 motherboards such as the SP98N for Asus-made SCSI cards.

Edit: Come to think about it, that motherboard has integrated video and sound, so it's basically a SCSI-only version of the Mediabus. The PCI slot is a regular PCI slot. The specific SCSI card enables SCSI boot even with IDE devices present.

Reply 18998 of 53183, by c0keb0ttle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:
c0keb0ttle wrote:

mqx-32m.jpg

I'll try to test it. Do you know of any examples where it would not work properly?

Reply 18999 of 53183, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ nope, don't know any examples... Try the "difficult" ones like gateway, wing commander, laser squad - maybe all that was just rumors and the unit is fine 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website