VOGONS

Formerly Windows 3.1 trouble, now windows 98 trouble.

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 140, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I got the sound to work but for some reason the earphone out jack on the cd-rom drive does not output sound and when I run doom and select the proper settings for sound and FX I still have no sound or fx in the game. 😒

Reply 21 of 140, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dosquest wrote:

Well, I got the sound to work but for some reason the earphone out jack on the cd-rom drive does not output sound and when I run doom and select the proper settings for sound and FX I still have no sound or fx in the game. 😒

CD-ROM only outputs sound while playing Audio Tracks. Are you playing those? Try with a simple Audio CD.

Reply 25 of 140, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What sound card do you have?
If you go into the Windows Device Manager, under Multimeda devices you should see your sound card there.

Otherwise, in the game's setup try some variant of Sound Blaster with the default settings - IO 220, DMA 1, IRQ 5 or 7

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 27 of 140, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

there's no device manager in windows 3.1... he could check "drivers" or "sounds" in control panel however
but, if the sound card DOS drivers were installed, there might be some sort of config or diagnostic tool to check the settings... on creative cards, diagnose.exe does that

and you can't just change IRQs by software, unless you have a PnP card... on a real legacy card, it's all done by jumpers

Reply 29 of 140, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

my bad... I didn't notice 😀
well in this case, during my 9x days, I found that for better compatibility with DOS games running under 9x is to actually load/install the DOS drivers also... that way both the DOS drivers and the native 9x drivers were loaded... not elegant or memory efficient, but it worked... always (at least for me)

Reply 30 of 140, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay, @dunutking the card is an sb 16 with the proper drivers for win 9X loaded. @THEMan I have 500+ mb of ram so I don't think memory usage will be a problem, as for the dual driver setup how do you suppose I go about that because I got my win9X sb16 drivers from the install cd.

Reply 31 of 140, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

go to creative labs website... download sbbasic.exe
reboot and hit f8 just as you see "starting windows 98"
select "command prompt only"
install the drivers
reboot and it should be good... diagnose.exe is included, so you can test it too

500MB or 500GB of ram, doesn't matter... DOS is a different beast in how it manages memory... you only have 640KB to work with for many things (in fact, once you get below 590KB of free conventional memory, you run into problems running DOS programs), and then up to the 1MB ceiling for the high memory area.. many drivers allow you to be loaded into high memory, and the creative drivers are no exception... you will need himem.sys and emm386.exe loaded to do this
your config.sys should have the first two lines:
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
then the rest can usually be DEVICEHIGH=

and in autoexec.bat, you can do "loadhigh" (shortform is "LH") for many TSRs

I'm obviously simplifying things, so I suggest you go google and read up about DOS memory management
himem.sys and emm386.exe will probably be in your windows directory somewhere since you now run 98 instead of DOS 6.22... so make sure what you put in config.sys reflects this

if your SB16 is PnP, things might be a little more tricky... I don't have much experience with the sound blaster PnP cards in DOS (most of what I own have real jumpers), so someone else can probably help you better with that

Reply 33 of 140, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

if budget allows, you should find a non-PnP sound blaster card... anything non-PnP will always work better than the PnP card... remember you're dealing with 1st generation PnP devices and a 1st generation PnP operating system... and you're trying to run stuff inside DOS which was never PnP to begin with... obviously lots of hacks/tweaks needed to be done to even get it to work right... it's just a big headache making anything PnP from the old days to work right in those legacy OS's

I remember buying a US Robotics Sportster 33.6 modem back in 1995... it was the first thing from USR that had PnP... says so on the box... I tried it on my P75 then... it caused all sorts of weird conflicts and put itself on some weird com port that no dialup program was able to really use... so after getting fed up for 30 minutes, I pulled the card out, put the jumpers back in it to force the settings I wanted, and got on with life... I was lucky that modem had the ability to run in non-PnP mode, but PnP sound blasters weren't this way 🙁

hopefully, someone else with SB16 PnP experience can chime in and tell you how to make this work right

Reply 34 of 140, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have used I pnp SB16 and also a pnp AWE32. Had no problems so far. As a matter of fact, until today I've been using the awe on my 386, which is a non pnp pc at all. And under dos it makes no difference. It is installed the same way. It just needs the second disk named creative configuration manager, except the basic disk.

Reply 36 of 140, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea PnP cards are fine.

When you run the SBBASIC installer, it will pick up if the card is PnP and ask for the directory where CTCM is located.

Both packages are on the creative support site (latest version).

IMO you got to hand it to Creative, because it works really well and it's totally user friendly.

In fact, the PnP cards are more flexible. E.g. if you just need a joystick port on your PC and nothing else, you can configure a AWE64 that way!

EDIT:

Under W98 I would just install the W98 drivers. Then boot into DOS and manually run CTCM.EXE and then AWEUTIL/S or add them to whatever batch file is run when you boot into MS-DOS mode.

Again both these files are in the abobe packages.