VOGONS

Reply 20 of 21, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a bunch of Voodoo cards but the one I show modded cost me $10 bucks for the card with a broken off capacitor. I already had the fans. The ramsinks cost like $3 and 10x caps were around $10 shipped (although I bought 50 of these caps to get better pricing 😀 ). It never hurts to add longevity to parts in my opinion. The fans are rather quiet so don't get the point unless your using 5000rpm fans.

BTW. I bought a Compaq V3 3000 with the better memory off ebay and it was DOA. So that is atleast 1 less in the world 🙁

Its like new videocard's / cpu's. They come with "enough" to keep them cool yet people still buy aftermarket for them.

@Putas
I've seen posts with others doing similar as I have done and getting up to 220MHz. I have no plans of going that far.

@ bestemor
The Voodoo 3 heatsinks aren't glued. They used thermal tape in the couple I have removed.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 21 of 21, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RogueTrip2012 wrote:

BTW. I bought a Compaq V3 3000 with the better memory off ebay and it was DOA. So that is atleast 1 less in the world 🙁

I bought a box of videocards "Advertised for recycling...". 12$ for 12 lbs of video cards. Ended up getting 3 voodoo3 3000 in it. One of em would just not work, i tried it in an Athlon XP 1600+ , then tried it in a P3 Coppermine. Got beep codes. Then i went i tred it in my P2 400 and Bam it works!!

Turns out its a Voodoo 3 3000D . Its a model sold by Dell as an add-on . Same specs as the regular V3 3000 but without tv-out. The 3000D did not like the drivers i already had installed for the other 3000. But i took my all purpose voodoo3 cd, reinstalled and i ran Unreal Gold Demo for a good 15 min without issues, Smooth as silk!

All this to tell you, try it in other machines, some cards are quirky. I had a Maxi gamer 3d that would work on some boards and give beep codes with others...

Also, dont forget that V3 require 3.3v AGP 😉

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.