VOGONS

Reply 20 of 22, by kool kitty89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you tried 2x100 on the MP6?

And on the thermal paste comment: are you saying you're not using thermal paste on some of the other chips?

Reply 21 of 22, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote:

For those who are interested, the fastest reliable speed I could get a Rise mP6-266 was 208 MHz (83x2.5). It is rated at 200 MHz. While I can get a Speedsys screenshot at 233 MHz, at that frequency, it wouldn't even boot into Windows. I also tried 225 MHz, but it was unreliable. Note that at 208 MHz, heatsink compound was required.

The fastest reliable speed I could get a Winchip2 was 262 MHz (75x3.5). 266 MHz appears to work initially, but it is not stable under consistent loading. Had I used heatsink compound, maybe I could have gotten 266 MHz stable... trying this now actually. If it is stable, I'm going for 277 (3.33x83) and 292 (3.5x83). Nope, not stable. Heatsink compound didn't even buy us 4 more MHz.

Why didn't you buy the 366mhz ES that lzf70000 had for sale?

Reply 22 of 22, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kool kitty89 wrote:

Have you tried 2x100 on the MP6?

And on the thermal paste comment: are you saying you're not using thermal paste on some of the other chips?

Due to the number of chips I am testing, I am definately not using thermal paste unless absolutely necessary. For fixed setups, I use thermal paste. The Cyrix MII-400GP had no problem running at 333 MHz and 2.27V without thermal paste. The Rise mP6 has an terraced surface, so it needs the thermal paste.

I will do 2x100 once I get to the Super7 boards for testing. I have just finished up all sub-100 MHz CPUs and will be moving onto Super7 CPUs next. But before that, I need to test some boards which have come in just to ensure that they work before continuing with the 686 benchmark comparison. Actually, I'm still waiting on one S7 chip to arrive, the original Chomper AMD K6-2 to run at 133 MHz.

sliderider wrote:

Why didn't you buy the 366mhz ES that lzf70000 had for sale?

I think LZF blacklisted me after returning his defective mP6-266 chip. He always used to reply to my e-mails, but not after that. I sent him an e-mail asking if his 366 chip works, but he didn't reply. The 366 chip only runs at 250 MHz anyway. I also find it odd that his 366 chip is listed as 2.8 V, whereas all the 333/366 chips in chipdb.org are 2.0 V. Aside from all these points against buying the chip, his asking price is too high just for one benchmark column.

I have other China-based sellers I deal with as well, which tend to have similar stock as LZF, but in much smaller quantities. LZF also mentioned he has original W2 chips (although not listed on eBay?), but he failed to send me any photo evidence. He seems very polite on the phone (in Chinese), but why he doesn't reply to my e-mails, I don't know.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.