VOGONS

SNK S3 Graphics Card Question

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 49, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And here comes the question... Which one to prefer for 2D performance on a Windows 95 PC? (3D will be a Voodoo1 PCI).

S3 Virge/DX 2MB
S3 Vision 968 4MB (With the added daughterboard, like this one: http://vgamuseum.ru/wp-content/gallery/s3-vis … on_968_side.jpg )

I know the Virge is newer, but it has poorer dark and less sharp display on higher resolutions and less VRAM.

Core i7-13700 | 32G DDR4 | Biostar B760M | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 32" AOC 75Hz IPS + 17" DEC CRT 1024x768 @ 85Hz
Win11 + Virtualization => Emudeck @consoles | pcem @DOS~Win95 | Virtualbox @Win98SE & softGPU | VMware @2K&XP | ΕΧΟDΟS

Reply 22 of 49, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GeorgeMan wrote:
And here comes the question... Which one to prefer for 2D performance on a Windows 95 PC? (3D will be a Voodoo1 PCI). […]
Show full quote

And here comes the question... Which one to prefer for 2D performance on a Windows 95 PC? (3D will be a Voodoo1 PCI).

S3 Virge/DX 2MB
S3 Vision 968 4MB (With the added daughterboard, like this one: http://vgamuseum.ru/wp-content/gallery/s3-vis … on_968_side.jpg )

I know the Virge is newer, but it has poorer dark and less sharp display on higher resolutions and less VRAM.

2D performance in Windows is different from 2D performance in DOS. You'll need to benchmark them and find out, but my guess is that the Virge card will be faster. Then again, output signal quality matters more (if it was really important for 2D performance and signal quality in Windows, just get a Matrox card)

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 24 of 49, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ik777 wrote:

My guess is that item was used in Pachi slot game.

Like this
http://www.neogeoforlife.com/forum/viewthread … ?thread_id=1103

Timing doesn't seem right, the S3 Virge/GX dates from 1997, his card seems to be mfg. 1998... that specific pachislo dates from 2006. Unless you mean a 1997-era SNK pachislot machine? Doesn't seem to be any...

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 25 of 49, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ReeseRiverson wrote:

I ended up having a couple of these cards, a while back, and at least have one, and I am wondering if anyone knows anything about it. Best to my knowledge it has a S3 Virge/GX chip. And I can easily obtain Windows 3.1 drivers for it. However I don't know how much VRAM it has, let alone what the features this board provides. 😦

Ya know what.... in addition to the other photos you've taken:
a. use a video BIOS dumping tool to see what it says for version / what the copyright string says. MSD.EXE can pull up some of this in DOS.
b. pop it into a modern PC and get/post the PCI ID string, etc.

I still think it's a Canopus card that's branded SNK, sold around 1998 in Japan to capitalize on SNK popularity. 😀

Stiletto

Reply 27 of 49, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stiletto wrote:

[...]
I still think it's a Canopus card that's branded SNK, sold around 1998 in Japan to capitalize on SNK popularity. 😀

and for what do you speculate the dual LM + heatsinks + huge caps are for? 😕 That's a mini-psu there, certainly not to power the virge.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 28 of 49, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stiletto wrote:
Ya know what.... in addition to the other photos you've taken: a. use a video BIOS dumping tool to see what it says for version […]
Show full quote

Ya know what.... in addition to the other photos you've taken:
a. use a video BIOS dumping tool to see what it says for version / what the copyright string says. MSD.EXE can pull up some of this in DOS.
b. pop it into a modern PC and get/post the PCI ID string, etc.

IMG_2544-800px.jpg
IMG_2543-800px.jpg

I'll pull the card back out for some more pictures soon.

Reply 29 of 49, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:
Stiletto wrote:

[...]

and for what do you speculate the dual LM + heatsinks + huge caps are for? 😕 That's a mini-psu there, certainly not to power the virge.

I want to believe this is actual Neo-geo/Hyper Neo-geo 64 development hardware. As keropi says obviously such an onboard sound amp is at least related to some degree to arcade hardware

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 30 of 49, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Alright, I just posted to Neo-Geo.com and AssemblerGames.com, hopefully someone there will know what this is. To get this answered, gotta (sadly?) go where the NeoGeo collectors are.

Stiletto

Reply 31 of 49, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's one person I know of who might be able to answer the question of a Neo Geo developers machine. lingjr from ebay. He sells a lot of rare video game related hardware like that.

Here's his own site

http://lingjr.com/

Last edited by sliderider on 2014-01-13, 21:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 32 of 49, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That feature connector and psu section makes me think this is something a bit more special than just a normal S3 card.
Interesting find - I'd love to know what it turns out to be!

(NeoGeo fan andowner of MVS, AES, Hyper64 & NGPC systems)

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 33 of 49, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
megatron-uk wrote:

That feature connector and psu section makes me think this is something a bit more special than just a normal S3 card.
Interesting find - I'd love to know what it turns out to be!

(NeoGeo fan andowner of MVS, AES, Hyper64 & NGPC systems)

The leading theory is currently "liquidated from a development machine" actually, I'm just choosing to play Devil's advocate 😁

Feature connectors are usually used for things like MPEG daughtercards...

Stiletto

Reply 34 of 49, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

There's one person I know of who might be able to answer the question of a Neo Geo developers machine. lingjr from ebay. He sells a lot of rare video game related hardware like that.

Here's his own site

Nah, the guy who runs NeoGeoDevTeam or whatever its called should know it too 😀

Stiletto

Reply 36 of 49, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ah, a Lattice chip on the back and a big one too... now there is really no question that this is beyond a simple pc vga...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 37 of 49, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

ah, a Lattice chip on the back and a big one too... now there is really no question that this is beyond a simple pc vga...

What are Lattice chips typically used for? Or for. 😦

-Edit-

Close up of the chip:

IMG_2550-1000px.jpg

Reply 38 of 49, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ that chip holds custom code and is typically used to "glue" hardware parts together or control parts that no "pre-made" chip can. Basically it does a custom job designed for this board and it's expansions.
Your typical Virge card only needs the main chip, vram and BIOS. No programmable clpd, no extra video encoder, no psu on board and no expansion port of that size.
I wonder what the search reveals for this card....

Reply 39 of 49, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stiletto wrote:
sliderider wrote:

Here's his own site

Nah, the guy who runs NeoGeoDevTeam or whatever its called should know it too 😀

JMKurtz/Neobitz agrees with my pessimistic guess that it's simply a standard S3 Virge/GX videocard, branded "SNK". He doesn't seem to have heard of it before though.

Stiletto