VOGONS

Reply 20 of 21, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rick6 wrote:

All these cards need a good BGA reball to restore them to good health but that requires skills and equipment, none of which i have. Since i'm gathering so many faulty hardware lately i'm considering getting a 35\40€ reflow station, get some practise and fix them myself.

Do they sell stencils for those old nVidia chips?

I'd refer you to reports of defective engineering as being the cause of a lot of the failures... Was GeForce 6xxx all post-RoHS? If you find a pre-RoHS GeForce 6 and it has artifacting or is defective by way of the chip, then that's proof enough that the chips were the main problem. Reflow might help, but not the way you think. Reflow can also fix a chip if the internal die has lost good contact with non-eutectic leads. It's a little complicated, but if you're interested, I can tell you what I know about nVidia chip failures of that time.

Reply 21 of 21, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh yes i am interested! You can pm me about this subject but i guess that it's ok to post it here also, it's informative since the thread was more of a rant than anything else!

As for the stencils, i guess you could do away with universal stencils, couldn't you? Still you would be in for a lot of work and it would be wasteful (not reusable deformed solder balls).

As for the seller of the Geforce 6800 Ultra, he phoned me and decided to scream at me when i said i would like to get at least some of the money back in my bank account before sending him back the card has a insurance in case he decided to get the card and not return the money afterwards, because that already happened to me, and i've lost both the item and money..Not sure if you agree with at least getting some money back before sending back the card but even if i'm wrong, he shouldn't scream at his buyer, and i mean loudly and disrespectfully.
Also he claimed that he works in a computer shop for years and he always wrap his computer hardware (video cards, rams etc) in bubblewrap, no antistatic bag required.
Well this post if full of rants heh? 😜

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!