Ideas for Future 6.22 DOS Build

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 29, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tayyare wrote:

For playing GOG games on old/real hardware... Well, I personally find this a bit pointless. If I have a decent copy of an old game that I can run in my daily/modern machine, I just run it on that machine.

Of course 😀

But if you don't a game, and it's on GOG, and can make things easier. Either way, see it as another alternative / source for old games. Not for everyone, but handy in certain cases.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 22 of 29, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
philscomputerlab wrote:
tayyare wrote:

For playing GOG games on old/real hardware... Well, I personally find this a bit pointless. If I have a decent copy of an old game that I can run in my daily/modern machine, I just run it on that machine.

Of course 😀

But if you don't a game, and it's on GOG, and can make things easier. Either way, see it as another alternative / source for old games. Not for everyone, but handy in certain cases.

Ah, what I meant by that was

"If I already have a decent enough GOG version of a game (and yes almost all of them are pretty decent - I'm not a nitpicker on sound/MIDI), I just play GOG version in my daily rig, and never mind even playing its old physical copy in a retro computer, let alone fiddling with GOG versions to make them playable in my retro rigs."

My retro PCs (an Athlon 64 XP box, a PIII W98 rig and an MMX DOS machine) are only for the games I physically own (CDs, DVDs, etc) but have no GOG/Steam copies of.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 23 of 29, by Bullmecha

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah , if I don't own it then I will GoG it or actually try to buy it. I just want a real DOS box since I have around 14 towers setup here but haven't really used them for anything other than "hey its working". Will have to get on that list of mine and get it on here soon for the best possible combo I can make.

Just a guy with a bad tinkering habit.
i5 6600k Main Rig
too many to list old school rigs

Reply 24 of 29, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a couple of K6-III CPU's (new) lying around if you are interested. I believe they are 400Mhz but easily go to 550Mhz (if you require).

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 25 of 29, by Bullmecha

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmmm, I wouldn't mind trying one of those out. I was hoping to tryout a 2+ 500mhz at 83mhz FSB on that Asus board, but I have yet to find one at a decent price.

i5 6600k Main Rig

Reply 26 of 29, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I presume there's a packet driver for the ethernet card? mTCP and ftpserv is very handy for getting files onto the DOS PC without playing around with the Microsoft network client, or worse.

GOG do some splendid work, and for 95% of people it's invaluable that with the payment of only a few pounds, a creaky old game will be successfully running in under a couple of minutes. However, it's not always the same. The MIDI emulation just isn't as good if you're running genuine Roland sound modules, and the performance of certain games is poor - I tried running Privateer under DOSBox and it sucked on my (quite old) Core2Quad system.

There are limits; although I've got the Commander Keen games running on real hardware, I don't think I can tell the difference with it under DOSBox. Likewise, GOG's Legend of Kyrandia runs through SCUMMVM and I can't be bothered finding the original executable, so all it needs is a USB to MIDI converter and a couple of SCUMMVM options to use the real MT32.

Reply 27 of 29, by Bullmecha

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Back to this build, as real life as had me busy.
I have found a Slot P3 450 on a Biostar M6ZTA in my collection of towers. I think this may be the build to start with as it is ATX, easier for parts as mentioned before. Will I have to skip the AGP slot for pure DOS? Going to find a small drive and start the installs on it later tonight. Will get shots and some details posted when I can.

i5 6600k Main Rig

Reply 28 of 29, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bullmecha wrote:

Will I have to skip the AGP slot for pure DOS?

If the motherboard has an AGP slot, use it. DOS won't know the difference, neither would something like Windows 3.11. In fact, Voodoo3, Nvidia TNT, S3 Savage4 and a lot of Matrox stuff have drivers for Windows 3.11. And except for Matrox cards, those I mentioned are pretty compatible with DOS stuff.

Reply 29 of 29, by Bullmecha

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Think its a TNT2 32MB in the system now so that will stay, now to find a SB card in my stash somewhere.

Hmmm just found my single PPro dell tower. Might have to rethink 🤣. Edit 1

Found my Dell Slot P2 266 now also..another choice.. EDIT 2

i5 6600k Main Rig