VOGONS

Reply 20 of 33, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Great Hierophant wrote:
You can find a list of games that support Stereo FM through the SB Pro 1.0 or PAS here : […]
Show full quote
Tertz wrote:
philscomputerlab wrote:

You will quickly find that this list is very small

It's a good place to list them. At least some most popular.

You can find a list of games that support Stereo FM through the SB Pro 1.0 or PAS here :

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2012/04/u … me-support.html

As far as a list of games that support the stereo DAC feature using DSP commands, I have never found a game that uses this method.

In short :

For FM Stereo, an SB16 is compatible with the SB Pro 2.0
For Mixer Stereo, an SB16 is compatible with the SB Pro 1.0 & 2.0
For DSP Stereo, an SB16 is compatible with nothing.

How do you account for games where SB16 only produces (distorted) mono sound when they're set up for SB Pro?

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 21 of 33, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:

I've had this problem too but it wasn't the fault of the sound card, but I can't quite remember how I fixed it. It might have been a resource thing - I have a feeling that changing from IRQ 7 to 5 fixed it, or something along those lines.

Hum, that could be.
Creative originally sold their cards preconfigured to IRQ7. This is shared with LPT1. This may cause issues on some machines.
Later they preconfigured them to IRQ5 instead, which is shared with LPT2. Most systems didn't even have a second printer port, so this was less error-prone.

Sadly some software (I recall Stellar 7 for example) had IRQ7 hardcoded, so you can only run them with your card configured like that. Which means that some software didn't run on newer SB cards out-of-the-box.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 22 of 33, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
firage wrote:
Great Hierophant wrote:
In short : […]
Show full quote

In short :

For FM Stereo, an SB16 is compatible with the SB Pro 2.0
For Mixer Stereo, an SB16 is compatible with the SB Pro 1.0 & 2.0
For DSP Stereo, an SB16 is compatible with nothing.

How do you account for games where SB16 only produces (distorted) mono sound when they're set up for SB Pro?

If you're referring to distorted digital sound, then I would rather select Sound Blaster mono (not Sound Blaster Pro or Pro 2) in the game's setup menu.
The Sound Blaster 16 (or AWE32, SB32, AWE64) is, for all intensive purposes, not 100 % compatible with Sound Blaster Pro or Pro 2 when it comes to digital sound output via the DAC. For example, you will notice that, on an AWE32 or AWE64 retail box, nowhere does it claim to be 100 % compatible with the Sound Blaster Pro or Pro 2.

Reply 23 of 33, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Regarding Wolfenstain 3D and it manipulating the mixer, I've had someone tell me that his Audician 32 Plus wasn't doing this. I wonder if some SP Pro compatible cards are not 100% compatible in that regard...

Also I always configure my Sound Blaster with IRQ7, but disable the parallel port as well.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 24 of 33, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Great Hierophant wrote:

As far as a list of games that support the stereo DAC feature using DSP commands, I have never found a game that uses this method.

Thanks. So the main SB16/AWE incompatibility practically does not exist in games (in well-known, at least).
While the incompatibility with OPL2 stereo of SB Pro 1.0, as I understand, is same as SB Pro 2.0 has and probably most SB Pro compatible cards.
Also there is other kind of incompatibility wich needs to be noted - cards without OPL chips, with CQM. They sound differently, - wrongly.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 25 of 33, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tertz wrote:
Great Hierophant wrote:

Thanks. So the main SB16/AWE incompatibility practically does not exist in games (in well-known, at least).

I would expect it to be more common with demoscene productions. Mod players with stereo mixing routines. Some games probably also used those though (Pinball Fantasies? Jazz Jackrabbit?), but perhaps not before SB16-support was common in mod players, negating the issue (it won't work properly in SB Pro-mode, but if you can select SB16-mode, who cares?)

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 26 of 33, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
philscomputerlab wrote:

Regarding Wolfenstain 3D and it manipulating the mixer, I've had someone tell me that his Audician 32 Plus wasn't doing this. I wonder if some SP Pro compatible cards are not 100% compatible in that regard...

The stereo mixer effect was never a problem for any of my YMF 71x cards. As far as i know it doesn't play some door sound on Duke Nukem II. I don't know too much about this for 2 reasons:

- I never noticed anything special missing in DN II when using a YMF card;
- I really don't care about DN II;

Reply 28 of 33, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but it might be useful for people who want to test the SBPro stereo capabilities of their sound card.

Aladdin is one of those games where choosing the SB16/AWE32 as your sound device in setup won't produce stereo music. On the other hand, choosing SBPro does produce stereo music, if the sound card has proper SBPro stereo compatibility. Creative's SB16, AWE32 and AWE64 cards cannot play stereo music in that game, regardless of which option is selected. The music in Aladdin isn't MIDI or FM synth, it appears to be PCM based, with vocals.

More detailed info + recordings can be found in this thread: Aladdin (DOS) music - SB16 vs. SBPro vs. WSS

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 29 of 33, by renejr902

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-07-20, 03:41:

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but it might be useful for people who want to test the SBPro stereo capabilities of their sound card.

Aladdin is one of those games where choosing the SB16/AWE32 as your sound device in setup won't produce stereo music. On the other hand, choosing SBPro does produce stereo music, if the sound card has proper SBPro stereo compatibility. Creative's SB16, AWE32 and AWE64 cards cannot play stereo music in that game, regardless of which option is selected. The music in Aladdin isn't MIDI or FM synth, it appears to be PCM based, with vocals.

More detailed info + recordings can be found in this thread: Aladdin (DOS) music - SB16 vs. SBPro vs. WSS

Except Aladdin, which i will compare and test later today with my SB16 ct2770 or ct2740 VS Ess1869f and Crystal cs4236b (both sb pro compatible), which other games have the same digital audio stereo problem with sb16 sound card ?
Thanks for answer, i can't find any list ?
( I compare Prince of Persia 2 and i cant find any difference with a SB16 vs Ess1869f with Sound Blaster pro setting on both sound card.)

Reply 30 of 33, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
renejr902 wrote on 2020-10-08, 19:27:

Except Aladdin, which i will compare and test later today with my SB16 ct2770 or ct2740 VS Ess1869f and Crystal cs4236b (both sb pro compatible), which other games have the same digital audio stereo problem with sb16 sound card ?

I asked the same question a while ago and got this list.

From the looks of things, there don't appear to be many games where this is an issue.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 31 of 33, by renejr902

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just tested Aladdin with both sound card.

With SB16 with sound blaster awe32, the intro music is in mono only, very noticeable, but i have a lot of noise, crack, pop.. and its the only game i notice noise, crack and pop.. In SB16 setting Jazz play without noise like all others games i tried.

With Ess1869f with SB Pro Setting, music play stereo, higher quality, no noise or crack or pop at all. It plays a lot much better.

Its the first i saw a difference so big between both sound card. i will your link now, thanks a lot Joseph_Joestar. 😀

Reply 32 of 33, by renejr902

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Man! I just compare more with Aladdin. The difference is BIG in Stage 1. I won't never play Aladdin with a Sound Blaster 16 anymore because of this topic LoL! Ess1869f all the way for Aladdin! It plays so much better, its play like 3 times better with stereo and higher quality.

Edit: Thanks for the list. I just made 80% of Eye of beholder II with a SB16. I will switch to Ess1869f for now.

Edit: I read some topics. It seems you can add on your list these games too:

- Dune 1
- Dune 2
- Eye of the beholder ( The first one )