VOGONS

Passively cooling a pair of Pentium 3’s

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by saturn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got a 2 NOS coolermaster copper heatsinks from a site that has tons of NOS PC stuff.
They're 60mmx60mmx30mm with out the fans, they sgould do well, if not Ill get a pair of Noctua fans.
Also Noctua fans aren't about air to price ratio, but air to noise ratio. Delta wins the air to price ratio if you ask me. 10$ for a fan the move 100+cfm vs 30$ for a Noctua fan the moves 40cfm, Yhea thats sucks pice wize. But at the same time the delta fans is loud as hell even al lower RPM's. Noctua also has high preformass industrial fans too.

Reply 21 of 23, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Already said. IMHO Noctua are an overpriced gimmick. (Never believe what a salesman tells you.)
I don't even see a 60mm 40cfm Noctua though so what are you looking at.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 22 of 23, by saturn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PCBONEZ wrote:

Already said. IMHO Noctua are an overpriced gimmick. (Never believe what a salesman tells you.)
I don't even see a 60mm 40cfm Noctua though so what are you looking at.

Noctua does not have a 40cmf 60mm fan. I was just giving a general example not based on any one fan, but the average 120mm delta and Noctua fan. I know that was a bad idea... And I should have worded my post better... sorry.

Noctua as far as I know does not use CFM rating on their fans. But has high rpm high output put fans such as the NF-A14 witch moves about 155 cfm (if my math is right) and is about 20-30$ retail. That’s about the same as most deltas retail for (Yes I know you can get then drit cheep on ebay) but at the same time it's about 40dba vs most delta fans witch are about 50dba+ at the 150cmh range. I know another general example... 😒 bad idea. 😒
But for me, right now don't want/need high powered fans nor do I want a fan controller. I want a system that is as silent as possible, if that means having to run it a little hot that’s fine by me. it’s a P3 system, the parts are cheap and everywhere.

Also on a side note Noctua use far less power to run then most other fans out there.

Reply 23 of 23, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
saturn wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:

Also on a side note Noctua use far less power to run then most other fans out there.

If a fan uses less power it moves less air. -- That is due to this little thing called the Laws of Physics.
Increasing the the efficiency of fans was studied too death and well known decades before Noctua even existed.
Any improvements since have been miniscule.
What companies like Noctua do is manage to get a miniscule 'canoe size' improvement and then they advertize it like it's the Titanic.
This is another reason why you should never believe a salesman. (Or sales pitch in an ad.)
What I was trying to do is find out what kind of fan you are looking for so I can look too.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.