S370 Board for Nehemiah Core ?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 21, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ace wrote:

On another note, is there a Socket 370 or Slot 1 board that is compatible with the Nehemiah C3 that has three ISA slots, an AGP slot and an SBLink connector?

GA-6BXC rev 2.0 with a good quality slotket. Among others?

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 21 of 21, by flufetor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ace wrote:
flufetor wrote:

FYI: There is no 1.0 rev of this board. It is a slightly different board (I have another two) without the E letter: GA-6VX7+ if I recall correctly.

My very first PC from the early 2000s would like to prove the contrary:

It's also listed on Gigabyte's own website: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page … spx?pid=2410#sp

You are right. The GA-6VX7+ revision is 2.4. The board is very similar to if not the same than the GA-6VXE7+. The GA-6VX7+ is the one that doesn't have a rev 1.0 listed at Gigabyte's website. Sorry about the mistake.

I honestly have no idea what's different between this revision and Rev. 3.0.

This time, my comment was more accurate. I have the printed manual of rev 3.0. At page 1-1 and section "1.2 KEY FEATURES" it is written in bold face:

PCB Ver.3.0 No Support Intel PPGA Processor

This is the verbatim quote of the Chinese to English translation 😀. GA-6VX7+ v2.4 supports PPGA celerons for sure. Rev 1.0 of GA-6VXE7+ should too.
I think therefore, that the support list for rev 3.0 at the website is wrong. Even it doesn't mention VIA CPUs but the same page of the manual does.

All I know is this motherboard is MUCH slower than my Soyo SY-6BA+ with Intel's 440BX chipset, at least with a 1GHz Pentium III, 512MB of RAM and a Voodoo 3 2000.

There is a sort of black legend around VIA P3 chipsets and its performance. Although not better, performance was very close to that of the 440BX and almost equal to that of i815. The problem is that the default BIOS settings for VIA chipsets were almost always wrong, and even worse, the BIOS Setup Utility didn't allow to change them.
The main of such wrong parameters was the deactivation of memory interleave, resulting in a huge performance drop. The problem is described very well here: http://home.arcor.de/m-i-p/enabler/technote.htm. Even a performance gain of 32% is cited. This seems to be from the author of a code patch that can be loaded as a TSR for DOS or an VXD for WIN32.

Try to use that patches for your boards to see if you get similar performance gains.

About problems with CPU microcode or feature enabling not done by the BIOS, that is a minor problem in my case as I normally use Linux with these HW builds and Linux Kernel can load at startup the microcode patches for the CPU and/or perform chipset programming (well, this is a simplified description but accurate enough).

On another note, is there a Socket 370 or Slot 1 board that is compatible with the Nehemiah C3 that has three ISA slots, an AGP slot and an SBLink connector?

The only one I can think of, that I have at home is this ACORP SLOT 1 board: http://www.motherboard.cz/mb/acorp/g6via81p.htm. Electrically, the VRM should support it, but the BIOS could reject it as unknown CPU. If I have some time in next weeks, I could test it for you.

Keep us informed about your tests.

Best regards