VOGONS

486 Motherboards and components

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 21, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not sure. It looks like the correct module, but usually the back of the module says "for use with M919 only". But not all say that. That guy's listing says "Operates with external PowerPC CPU...", which makes me think it came from a PowerPC, so I'm not sure if the pin-outs are compatible.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 21 of 21, by meton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MasterKano wrote:
feipoa wrote:
PC Chips M918 is junk. The cache performance is abysmal. […]
Show full quote
MasterKano wrote:
I've had a look at a few Motherboards: […]
Show full quote

I've had a look at a few Motherboards:

PC Chips M918i for £30
Asus PVI-486SP3 for £160! (Seemed steep as I see someone got one from Austria for 5$)
TMC PAT48PG4 for £50
Chaintech 486SPM for £90!

MasterKano wrote:

Any opinions on PC Chips M919?

PC Chips M918 is junk. The cache performance is abysmal.

PC Chips M919 is less junky than the M918, but the VLB performance is horrible, if you can even get it working well. To get decent performance out of this board, you need to locate a hard-to-find proprietary cache module for it. This board also forces an automatic 2/3 PCI multiplier when using a 40+ MHz FSB, which really hurts graphic performance.

Would this cache work for the M919?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IDT-cache-memory-25 … 7cAAOSwGvhULarU

AFAIK the PC Chips mobos are famous for having completely fake cache setups. "M919 use only" basically means it's a dummy board, which can in a worstcase scenario short out a mobo.

"PC Chips M919

Of course, there is more than one way to solve a cache problem. Why not fit a COAST socket for appearances, leave it empty (because cache RAM costs money), and surface mount a pair of black plastic rectangles with "write back cache" labels? It would be lots cheaper to manufacture, wouldn't it? Of course, it would not be honest or even legal, but so what?

It's a PC-Chips M919, and that cache is quite fake. (The traces go nowhere!) This board was released in several revisions taking various configurations of 30 and 72-pin RAM and they are all equal in quality. They claim to support 50MHz bus speeds but are really hopeless above 33MHz (mine won't run for more than ~15 seconds at 40MHz, nor at all at 50). The cache slot is not a COAST at all - it really takes a special asynchronous module (something like DIPPs on a stick) rather than the pipeline burst cache the Pentium boards took. I am currently using the board with a 5x86/100 to play old DOS games and watch demos. Even under pure DOS, the M919 is prone to EMS errors and random lockups. PC Chips strikes again."

Don't bother with any of that PC Chips crap.