VOGONS

Reply 20 of 42, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here are my results from xjas' test suite.

Monitor: Eyoyo S801H
Native res: 1024x768
Scaling: ?
Aspect ratio: 4:3
Machine: SE440BX-2 / P3 450MHz / MS-DOS 7.1 (98SE)
Video card: Creative TNT2 Ultra 32MB AGP
Univbe: No
Tested by: boxpressed

OVERALL COMPATIBILITY RATING: 9.5 / 14

Application          P   F   CP  Notes
,-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| Ambience | | X | | |
| Luminati | | X | | |
| Timeless (56Hz) | X | | | |
| Timeless (60Hz) | X | | | |
| Dowhackado | | X | | Music but black screen |
| Kukoo2 | X | | | Monitor reports 54Hz |
| Copper | | X | | Fails to sync during wobble effects. |
| | | | | Passed about half of tests. |
| Sunflower | X | | | |
| Yo | X | | | |
| Impulse Tracker | X | | | |
| CubicPlayer 132x43 | X | | | |
| Tweak 256x256 | | | X | Top 15 px, bottom 1 px clipped |
| Tweak 360x480 | X | | | |
| Tweak 376x564 | X | | | |
| PAL-on-VGA | | X | | |
| NTSC-on-VGA | | X | | |
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| Other notes: |
| |
| |
`-----------------------------------------------------------------------------'
P1120345.JPG
Filename
P1120345.JPG
File size
861.06 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
P1120342.JPG
Filename
P1120342.JPG
File size
900.73 KiB
Views
File license
P1120344.JPG
Filename
P1120344.JPG
File size
889 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 21 of 42, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually this is a great score, up to par with CRT of that era.
In Ambience and Luminati you can lower and raise the refresh rate by pressing the Down and Up arrows, maybe the Eyoyo will sync to a slightly lower refresh rate because the test starts at 87Hz.
It does 720x400@70Hz and 640x480@60Hz properly that is all I need.

Question, are the white squares from your images actually clipped on screen or is it the camera over exposed?

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 22 of 42, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
James-F wrote:
Actually this is a great score, up to par with CRT of that era. In Ambience and Luminati you can lower and raise the refresh rat […]
Show full quote

Actually this is a great score, up to par with CRT of that era.
In Ambience and Luminati you can lower and raise the refresh rate by pressing the Down and Up arrows, maybe the Eyoyo will sync to a slightly lower refresh rate because the test starts at 87Hz.
It does 720x400@70Hz and 640x480@60Hz properly that is all I need.

Question, are the white squares from your images actually clipped on screen or is it the camera over exposed?

Overexposed. Actually, there isn't a single white square on screen -- just a lot of very light shades of other colors.

Yes, I did try to use the arrows on Ambience and Luminati the first time. I went as far up and down as I could before the program would not register a different rate. Each time, the monitor showed "Not Support."

Last edited by boxpressed on 2016-09-10, 20:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 23 of 42, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Neat! Yeah I've certainly seen worse LCDs (even ones aimed at VGA use.) We (I) should totally get that database up and running, threads lijke this are why. 😀

I'm disappointed the 256p mode doesn't work since that's an even multiple of (1024x)768. I wish ANY of the mfgrs would take the time to get this right. Hell if only it could accept 15kHz sync & 256p on the VGA port it would be the best tiny Amiga monitor ever. 😜 I wonder how hard it would be to write custom firmware for a screen like this...

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 24 of 42, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The S801H fits nicely atop my Jawbone Jambox Mini. Sharpie there for scale.

Descent II on Rendition Verite looks and sounds great!

IMG_1234.JPG
Filename
IMG_1234.JPG
File size
1.74 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 26 of 42, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Descent II (Verite hardware accelerated) runs at 640x480, what you see in the photo. Regular D2 runs at 800x600 in software rendering.

I forgot that I said that I would post photos of the menu. Here are three, and three more follow in the next post.

These three screens are pretty self-explanatory, except for perhaps the Function screen. The Screen function flips the image 180 degrees and/or shows the mirror image. (No portrait mode, however.) Blue Screen and Cross are for industrial application.

P1120350.JPG
Filename
P1120350.JPG
File size
924.45 KiB
Views
File license
P1120353.JPG
Filename
P1120353.JPG
File size
898.03 KiB
Views
File license
P1120355.JPG
Filename
P1120355.JPG
File size
887.2 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 27 of 42, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here are three more screens.

There are three settings for color: 6500K (default), 9300K, and User. I think the default setting is a bit on the cool side, so I select User and bump up the red level (second screen).

The Adjust screen is probably what you're wondering about. The Auto Config is weird on my monitor. If the screen is a bit out of alignment, and you select Auto Config, it will center the screen nicely. However, the screen background will turn green. This may have to do with the Rendition Verite. But the Phase is also changed to 26. So, if you change the Phase back to 0 and turn the monitor off and on again, everything is normal and centered.

P1120351.JPG
Filename
P1120351.JPG
File size
922.41 KiB
Views
File license
P1120352.JPG
Filename
P1120352.JPG
File size
850.55 KiB
Views
File license
P1120356.JPG
Filename
P1120356.JPG
File size
854.05 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 28 of 42, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Eyoyo S801U (IPS) is here.

Locked to 60Hz, stutters with 70Hz games (that's like 99.999% of dos games).
Takes 5 seconds to switch between resolutions.
Scaler sometimes freezes when changing resolutions, so I have to unplug the power cord completely because the menu buttons do not work (including the Power button)... 😠
It fails almost all the tests in the VGA test suit.
Different menu and scaler to the S801H model.

Don't buy the S801U it is a bug ridden piece of crap, completely different to the S810H which is recommended.

I will try to return the item.

Reply 29 of 42, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry to hear about that. I was waiting to hear your review before placing an order for one myself. What I liked best about the S801U model is the remote control; the monitor itself is so light that you need one hand to steady it while the other pushes the buttons. Hope you can get your money back.

Reply 30 of 42, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@boxpressed

How fast does the S801H changes between resolutions (640x480@60hz to 640x400@70hz)?
Can you please check again if games like Tyrian scroll smoothly when playing?

Reply 31 of 42, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
James-F wrote:

@boxpressed

How fast does the S801H changes between resolutions (640x480@60hz to 640x400@70hz)?
Can you please check again if games like Tyrian scroll smoothly when playing?

Tyrian 2000 runs at a steady 720x400 @70Hz throughout (menu and game). The scrolling seems normal to me.

Is there a game that switches between 640x480 @60Hz and 640x400 @70Hz?

Reply 32 of 42, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, the attached file is from Phils benchmark.
Just run the batch file inside.

I connected the Eyoyo to my nvidia GPU and the resolution switch fast without freezing...
Can it be that my Cirrus Logic in the Pentium machine has lower voltage or some other problem that prevents the Eyoyo syncing properly?

Attachments

• Filename
    PCPBENCH.7z
    File size
    240.47 KiB
    Downloads
    55 downloads
    File license

Reply 33 of 42, by Snayperskaya

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
James-F wrote:

Why keep the old hardware? ......it is Big, Heavy, Slow, Noisy, Freezes, Beeps, Hard-to-Set, Rare, Beige, and AWESOME.

I'm on this boat, too. I'm fine with just keeping old hardware on good standing, even if I don't have too much time to set it all up for doing some gaming sessions. 😀

Reply 34 of 42, by jxyzn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Has anyone figured out the secret method to disable overscanning for HDMI on this monitor? I found it accidentally *once*, pressing buttons and powering on or re-connecting inputs, it synced the HDMI and fit the entire display. I've not been able to reproduce yet.

I did figure out how to bring up a menu with some tuning options
Once in the regular menu and navigating around, press: Menu, -, -, +
I believe this won't work if you have the OSD timeout set to 'never' though.

Reply 35 of 42, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh I've never seen this thread before, I wonder if you can't use these to mod laptops with crappy cstn screens

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 36 of 42, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

An update to my old thread on this great little monitor.

The only thing I disliked about it was its laughably short stand, which made plugging and unplugging the VGA cable a chore, not to mention how the low clearance meant that the VGA cord itself could tip the monitor.

I always meant to rig a new stand for it but never got around to it. Anyway, I was thrilled to discover that someone designed a stand for it that can be 3D printed. It was designed for the 10" Eyoyo but fits my 8" model perfectly. Seven hours later:

IMG_8497.jpg
Filename
IMG_8497.jpg
File size
1.51 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Makes the monitor so much better. I think it's still selling for only $60 or so.

IMG_8498.jpg
Filename
IMG_8498.jpg
File size
1.19 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 37 of 42, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Awesome job! Looks a hell of a lot more pro than the stand I made (I ended up buying one of these too. 😜 )

20200118_040950.jpg
Filename
20200118_040950.jpg
File size
340.41 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Yeah yeah... it 'works' though, as in, it holds the monitor off the table and doesn't tip over. (If I were Apple, could I charge $999 for this?)

I think the problem with the regular stands these come with is they're exactly the same as the 7", 16x9 version, but the extra depth of the 8" / 4x3 ones just makes them not fit well.

Mine is actually on my VESA arm thing right now. For a couple of reasons, I don't want to use two equally-sized monitors in this spot (doing that partly blocks the speakers, and means I'm always having to look to the left or right), but this works perfect as a little extra screen for whatever I need. Having HDMI AND VGA on it is supremely useful.

20200118_040801_HDR.jpg
Filename
20200118_040801_HDR.jpg
File size
427.55 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 38 of 42, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

(Two year old post from a user who hasn't returned, but I'll reply anyway in case it's useful to someone else...)

jxyzn wrote on 2018-02-11, 21:29:
Has anyone figured out the secret method to disable overscanning for HDMI on this monitor? I found it accidentally *once*, press […]
Show full quote

Has anyone figured out the secret method to disable overscanning for HDMI on this monitor? I found it accidentally *once*, pressing buttons and powering on or re-connecting inputs, it synced the HDMI and fit the entire display. I've not been able to reproduce yet.

I did figure out how to bring up a menu with some tuning options
Once in the regular menu and navigating around, press: Menu, -, -, +
I believe this won't work if you have the OSD timeout set to 'never' though.

The trick I found on Mac OS/X is... don't use an HDMI dongle. Use a Thunderbolt-to-DVI adapter, and a DVI to HDMI adapter. Then it thinks you're feeding it a DVI signal instead of a "TV" signal, and it exposes all supported resolutions, doesn't overscan, etc.

On my Windows box it 'just works', provided you set the resolution manually (1024x768.) It will show up not scaled & not overscanned. I actually like how you can feed it higher-than-native resolutions and it scales them down, not a lot of monitors will do that.

I don't think I've tried a Linux machine with HDMI yet, although it works as you'd expect over VGA.

Whoever designed overscan into the HDMI spec should be fired, lose all their certs, and be banned from engineering for 300 years. IMHO.

Reply 39 of 42, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
boxpressed wrote on 2020-01-16, 22:43:
An update to my old thread on this great little monitor. […]
Show full quote

An update to my old thread on this great little monitor.

The only thing I disliked about it was its laughably short stand, which made plugging and unplugging the VGA cable a chore, not to mention how the low clearance meant that the VGA cord itself could tip the monitor.

I always meant to rig a new stand for it but never got around to it. Anyway, I was thrilled to discover that someone designed a stand for it that can be 3D printed. It was designed for the 10" Eyoyo but fits my 8" model perfectly. Seven hours later:

IMG_8497.jpg

Makes the monitor so much better. I think it's still selling for only $60 or so.

IMG_8498.jpg

Do you have a link to the design file for that stand? I even managed to lose mine (for obvious reasons this is my go-to monitor for portable use), so a fitting stand that is actually useful too would be great 😀