VOGONS

Reply 20 of 21, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I haven't been able to find a use for them myself. Our "land line" is now a MagicJack line fed by our cable internet service, so even as some kind of last ditch "underground railroad of DOS systems using dialup to communicate covertly", I have no way to actually dial out with them.

I will say, the suggestion to use a house's pre-installed phone wiring for modem based networking (obviously for vintage systems) is probably the closest thing I've seen to a legitimate use for dial up modems in 15 years. Still, I have no phone wiring in my office but I DO have ethernet run to three floors. Also, I'm pretty sure our phone wiring is shot since the house is almost 100 years old.

I have gotten rid of lots of them, but I do keep a box of them around just in case there is some odd IC or resistor that I need. Obviously the newer ones with few components are useless for this, and, admittedly, I have yet to find anything I needed on a modem. 😮

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 21 of 21, by kenrouholo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

not sure what kind of ethernet speed you care about on all those floors but if you can deal with 100Mbps in one of them, you can run up to 2 phone lines on a CAT-5/6 cable. 100Mbps ethernet only needs 2 of the 4 pairs. Gigabit needs all 4.

Yes, I always ramble this much.