VOGONS

Reply 20 of 31, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jheronimus wrote:
Here's an unpopular opinion: Asus is heavily overrated. Make no mistake, every motherboard I ever used was from Asus. They are f […]
Show full quote

Here's an unpopular opinion: Asus is heavily overrated. Make no mistake, every motherboard I ever used was from Asus. They are fine and solid boards. But as far as retro hardware goes — make sure you're getting a tested board. Somehow every dead or unstable boards I got over the 5 years I'm in the hobby was from Asus. Here are just some examples: TX97-X, P/I-XP6NP5 and even P3B-F.

I have a theory that Asus tended to make OC-friendly products (e.g. 430TX for 83MHz bus, 440BX for 133MHz, etc) which ensured their success on the market but also heavily shortened the lifespan of the actual hardware. So when you read something like this:

the T2P4 is legendary.

You have to understand that someone probably once used this board to extract the absolute most performance out of his/her hardware. So I would advice to only buy Asus boards for cheap or tested.

Not so sure about that being the cause. Asus boards were never the overclockers' favorites; they had more options than OEM, but you could get better OC options for less if that was what you were after. They were the "Mercedes" of the motherboard market, one of the few names with actual brand recognition in the 1990s, where you paid a premium for what was supposed to be a stable, well-built and well-documented product. The P3B-F was a case in point: yes, you could overclock with it, but every review in 1999 said you were better off with Abit boards like the BE6 or BF6 for overclocking, or you could get similar options from say the AOpen AX6BC for significantly less.

As for overclocking PPro... if you could afford a PPro in ~1997, you didn't overclock. There might have been an individual somewhere who did, but "people running Windows NT" was hardly synonymous with "ricing overclockers pulling every last MHz and FPS out of their system".

In the case of the PI/P55T2P4 rev 3.10, you might have a point, the board became sought-after around the turn of the millennium, specifically due to this article:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/oldie-tuning,216.html

But that's one board, and wouldn't have applied to any other Asus boards.

However, I agree with your statement that Asus is overrated in terms of quality, and that the boards don't all age well. Personally I'd say that applies particularly to their P4 boards. Even when they were still more or less current, the number of unexpectedly dead Asus P4Pxxx boards I case across was awful. Around 2005 I frequented computer fairs where I bought boxes of (assumed dead) motherboards. Generally about 1/3 was completely dead, and at least 1/3 could be resurrected to full functionality (usually recovering from a bad BIOS flash, although sometimes CMOS reset was enough). Not so the then new-ish Asus boards, they were almost always stone dead, usually due to something going terribly wrong in the voltage regulator area. This was also the era where with Asus boards you needed to *exactly* follow the memory QVL, as other DIMMs even fully within spec tended not to work, whereas those same DIMMs would work fine on other boards with identical chipset and specs from other vendors, without any performance benefit on the picky Asus boards (I particularly recall my housemate's new A7N8X-E vs my Gigabyte GA-7N400L pulled out of one of those 'as dead' boxes - in the end we swapped RAM as my board would eat anything but the only DIMMs that would work on his were mine).

But apart from the P55T2P4 this is all somewhat offtopic here in this necro-bump topc. Interestingly (but n=1), I also encountered a similarly stone-dead XP55T2P4. The interesting thing here being that this ATX version lacks all the overclocking option of its AT sister (66MHz max PLL), so whatever happened, it wasn't the result of excessive overclocking.

Other minor issue with most of their late Socket 7 AT boards is non-standard PS/2 pinout. Instead of a regular header they have a USB/MIR/PS2 board like this:

Is there such a thing as a 'standard' PS/2 pinout? No two boards of any vendor seem to have the same connector let alone pinout for it... I'm no Asus fan, but here the problem seems to be lack of standard itself, not Asus deviating from whatever standard there is.

Reply 21 of 31, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you're really determined to run the 6x86, you'll probably want to avoid the Intel chipset if you want it to run at the full speed. The intel chipsets didn't support linear burst mode that gave the Cyrix chips a good boost. For that you'll probably want something like an SiS board...Asus made those too I believe.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 22 of 31, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

If you're really determined to run the 6x86, you'll probably want to avoid the Intel chipset if you want it to run at the full speed. The intel chipsets didn't support linear burst mode that gave the Cyrix chips a good boost. For that you'll probably want something like an SiS board...Asus made those too I believe.

Never really liked sis based boards but the asus sp97-v is a VERY solid s7 board and maybe even faster compared to the vx97. Should be a perfect combination with a Cyrix!

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 23 of 31, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Personally I'd say that applies particularly to their P4 boards.

Both P4C800 and P4P800 are considered overclocking standards.

Overall, ASUS socket 7 had good quality and feature set for it's time.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 24 of 31, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote:
Both P4C800 and P4P800 are considered overclocking standards.[/] If they don't die spontaneously they're fine boards. […]
Show full quote

Both P4C800 and P4P800 are considered overclocking standards.[/]
If they don't die spontaneously they're fine boards.

Again, if they don't mysteriously stop working.

I have a soft spot for the clean design and sensible documentation of 1990s Asus boards, but I've just had too many die without cause.

Reply 25 of 31, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote:
The Serpent Rider wrote:
Both P4C800 and P4P800 are considered overclocking standards.[/] If they don't die spontaneously they're fine boards. […]
Show full quote

Both P4C800 and P4P800 are considered overclocking standards.[/]
If they don't die spontaneously they're fine boards.

Again, if they don't mysteriously stop working.

I have a soft spot for the clean design and sensible documentation of 1990s Asus boards, but I've just had too many die without cause.

my S462 Athlon XP Windows 98/XP rig just died out of the blue, one day when i turned it on, it just won't post. i tried everything like unplugging everything except for the motherboard, used different ram, used different video card, different power supply, etc. no dice. so i guess the motherboard is to blame, no bulging capacitors, no broken traces. should i try to fix it or just recycle it if it's just unfixable.

Startech 300W ATX Power Supply
ASUS A7V
AMD Athlon XP 2800+ 2.083 GHz
512 MB RAM
nVidia Geforce 2 MX 400 64MB AGP Video Card
Yamaha YMF744 PCI Sound Card
Maxtor 80GB HDD
Windows 98 SE and Windows XP Pro SP3

R5 5600X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3060 TI, Win11
P3 600, 256 MB RAM, nVidia Riva TNT2 M64, SB Vibra 16S, Win98
PMMX 200, 128 MB RAM, S3 Virge DX, Yamaha YMF719, Win95
486DX2 66, 32 MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440, ESS ES688F, DOS

Reply 26 of 31, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jheronimus wrote on 2019-11-01, 09:25:
Other minor issue with most of their late Socket 7 AT boards is non-standard PS/2 pinout. Instead of a regular header they have […]
Show full quote

Other minor issue with most of their late Socket 7 AT boards is non-standard PS/2 pinout. Instead of a regular header they have a USB/MIR/PS2 board like this:
2add9397.jpg

I have an P/I-P55T2P4 Rev 2.3 (which has an USB header) and an Asus USB3P (which came with my A7V which is long dead).
Will that work? Or more importantly: Do I risk anything trying?

Last edited by RaiderOfLostVoodoo on 2021-12-04, 03:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 27 of 31, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote on 2019-11-01, 10:40:

Around 2005 I frequented computer fairs where I bought boxes of (assumed dead) motherboards. Generally about 1/3 was completely dead, and at least 1/3 could be resurrected to full functionality (usually recovering from a bad BIOS flash, although sometimes CMOS reset was enough). Not so the then new-ish Asus boards, they were almost always stone dead, usually due to something going terribly wrong in the voltage regulator area. This was also the era where with Asus boards you needed to *exactly* follow the memory QVL, as other DIMMs even fully within spec tended not to work, whereas those same DIMMs would work fine on other boards with identical chipset and specs from other vendors, without any performance benefit on the picky Asus boards (I particularly recall my housemate's new A7N8X-E vs my Gigabyte GA-7N400L pulled out of one of those 'as dead' boxes - in the end we swapped RAM as my board would eat anything but the only DIMMs that would work on his were mine).

*sigh* I miss computer fairs and their boxes of junk that you could build an office/surfer machine out of for $20. They had mostly petered out around here by '05 though, the last big city ones I hit were probably in '03... though one lone one came to a small venue in town in '08 and it was kinda sad, couple of ink guys, couple of media guys, couple of satellite TV guys, and a whole bunch of new new systems at the same prices as BestBuy.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 28 of 31, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RaiderOfLostVoodoo wrote on 2021-12-03, 00:26:

I have an P/I-P55T2P4 Rev 2.3 (which has an USB header) and an Asus USB3P (which came with my A7V which is long dead).
Will that work? Or more importantly: Do I risk anything trying?

Never mind.
I tested it and it works.

Reply 29 of 31, by rkurbatov

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Necroware is very close to finishing his VRM module that can be installed on them after adding the standard 2.54 set of pins. Thus these motherboards will start to support K6-2 with 6.0 multiplier (something like 400 MHz becomes totally possible), thus their price will increase very soon 😀 And we'll need the new BIOSes with support of the new CPUs.

486: ECS UM486 VLB, 256kb cache, i486 DX2/66, 8MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440AGi VLB 1MB, Pro Audio Spectrum 16, FDD 3.5, ZIP 100 ATA
PII: Asus P2B, Pentium II 400MHz, 512MB RAM, Trident 9750 AGP 4MB, Voodoo2 SLI, MonsterSound MX300

Reply 30 of 31, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rkurbatov wrote on 2023-04-08, 10:46:

Necroware is very close to finishing his VRM module that can be installed on them after adding the standard 2.54 set of pins. Thus these motherboards will start to support K6-2 with 6.0 multiplier (something like 400 MHz becomes totally possible), thus their price will increase very soon 😀 And we'll need the new BIOSes with support of the new CPUs.

Are you meaning the T2P4s prior to revision 3? They can use the later modded BIOSes that are already around for the rev3 up. Then you'll get 6 x 83 on a K6-3 if your PCI cards cope.

I should have 2 or 3 of those around somewhere, I got a small lot with a rev3 shown on top, and bought them to find, derp, only one rev3. This was early oughts when 500mhz was still useful. Anyway, fairly sure I put the late BIOS on one of them to poke around on it and see what could be done about voltage. Ran a K6 on it at 3.3V to test.

The rev3 I set up for my wife had a short use life, didn't die but got superseded by an Athlon XP when parts came cheap. That was running a K6-2 @ 500 for a year or so.

edit: BTW I don't think the prices will flare up too much, there's too much other demand on pre DX8 PCI 3D cards, so smart cookies will be getting the less popular LX440 slot 1 boards with an AGP slot and running PII-333 etc instead. Then it's like $30-$30-$30 for major components instead of $50-$80-YIKES.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 31 of 31, by rkurbatov

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-04-08, 14:42:

Are you meaning the T2P4s prior to revision 3? They can use the later modded BIOSes that are already around for the rev3 up. Then you'll get 6 x 83 on a K6-3 if your PCI cards cope.

I mean the whole subset of the motherboards, even the FX ones. I am going to use my XE now as it was limited earlier only to Pentium 166 (and maybe 200 but I don't have one).

486: ECS UM486 VLB, 256kb cache, i486 DX2/66, 8MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440AGi VLB 1MB, Pro Audio Spectrum 16, FDD 3.5, ZIP 100 ATA
PII: Asus P2B, Pentium II 400MHz, 512MB RAM, Trident 9750 AGP 4MB, Voodoo2 SLI, MonsterSound MX300