VOGONS

My CPU Collection

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 42, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh, that is definitely the latest I've seen. It is almost a year older than mine, which is 0237. Would you be able to see if it runs at 180 MHz?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 21 of 42, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The CPU was just tested. But it is a little boring because it ignores the clkmul pin and always boots up at 3.0x multiplier. I only have a VLB socket 3 motherboard and of course 180 MHz at 60 MHz FSB is not going to agree with it.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 22 of 42, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It only works at 3x? That is odd. I thought someone on here had tested one of these and found it works at 3x/4x. I have a B1 DX2 that works with 2x/3x, which is what I wanted. a 3x/4x B1 DX4 just as well be an Am5x86.

Reply 23 of 42, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Correction! My mechanical clkmul switch wire had come loose. Just fixed it and it does 133MHz at 4.0x now. 😀

Reply 24 of 42, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Using an UMC VLB 486, This one, with S3 Vision 864 graphics.

1) The system runs seemingly well at 4x40=160MHz. It loads Windows 95 and I can play Command&Conquer 95. Memory/cache timings needed to be loosened in the BIOS for Windows to load without errors.
2) The system boots to DOS with 3x50=150MHz, but I did not want to continue working this way, as to prevent disk corruption.
3) The system does not post at all with 4x50=200MHz.
4) The system posts with 3x60=180MHz, It remains waiting at the second "system summary" post screen with a blinking cursor. IDE problems I assume.

I have no other FSB settings or multipliers to try.
But it was fun to become part of the 160MHz 486 club, even if I do intend to revert back to my Cx5x86 soon.

Below image is of setting no.1 (still with the optimal Memory/cache timings).

feipoa wrote:

I have a B1 DX2 that works with 2x/3x, which is what I wanted. a 3x/4x B1 DX4 just as well be an Am5x86.

You are right. But since I did not own an Am5x86 yet, I can now consider that one covered.
Your DX2 version is indeed a nice CPU, having 16kB L1 cache for a change.

Reply 25 of 42, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I, too, prefer using the cx5x86 over my Am5x86-160.

You were able to post at 180 MHz using which voltage? Perhaps you can remove the IDE card and boot to a floppy? Maybe see if pcpbench runs?

Reply 26 of 42, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

just saw this thread, I have been wanting to show off some of my cpus for a while

Here are my 2 precious suitcases:
IMG-20190130-212523.jpg

Behind door 1 we have 2 shelves

IMG-20190130-212505.jpg

IMG-20190130-212447.jpg

IMG-20190130-212436.jpg

and door no 2

IMG-20190130-212407.jpg

IMG-20190130-212100.jpg

IMG-20190130-212056.jpg

Still got about 20 slot1 cpus that I have to take pictures off.

Reply 27 of 42, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have one of these. What makes it bit strange is that it says 100sv8b, but it actually has 16Kb of cache. Not sure if that is misprint or why it is like that. Both speedsys and cachechk agree that it has 16Kb cache.

486dx4.jpg

Reply 28 of 42, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

I, too, prefer using the cx5x86 over my Am5x86-160.
You were able to post at 180 MHz using which voltage? Perhaps you can remove the IDE card and boot to a floppy? Maybe see if pcpbench runs?

I did not change any voltage and it is still at the default 3,3 Volt setting.
When I wrote "IDE problem" I meant that it seems the Multi-I/O VLB card is not working at 60MHz FSB. And that includes the floppy controller, although no floppy drive is attached currently.
Is the ISA bus decoupled from the FSB overclock?

treeman wrote:
just saw this thread, I have been wanting to show off some of my cpus for a while Here are my 2 precious suitcases: ... Behind d […]
Show full quote

just saw this thread, I have been wanting to show off some of my cpus for a while
Here are my 2 precious suitcases:
Behind door 1 we have 2 shelves
and door no 2
Still got about 20 slot1 cpus that I have to take pictures off.

It is beautiful! I noticed there is a good variety of the different speed grades there.
You could consider some industrial CPU trays. I have some of those and they really help in keeping the CPUs sorted and protected. You do have part of a tray there holding the overdrives. So that is actually a Socket 3 sized tray, I have not seen those before.

Baoran wrote:

I have one of these. What makes it bit strange is that it says 100sv8b, but it actually has 16Kb of cache. Not sure if that is misprint or why it is like that. Both speedsys and cachechk agree that it has 16Kb cache.

That cache mixup is really weird. The Am5x86 is given an introduction date of 6-Nov-95, so the 16kB L1 technology was available about a year before your processor was made.

Reply 29 of 42, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Many motherboards allow for running the ISA bus at a fixed rate, which I think is 7.x MHz. This option is usually in the BIOS. The options are usually PCICLK / 2 / 3 / 4 or 7.1x MHz. I suppose if you install an ISA floppy controller, you might be able to POST and run PCPBench. If you can run at 180 MHz and 3.3 V, there's a fair chance you could get 180 MHz working at 3.5 - 4.0 V on some motherboards.

Reply 30 of 42, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Something about the huge gold cap on the pentium pro with the enormous flashy logo amuses me. It's just so... huge.

"And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." -Red Green

Reply 31 of 42, by GordonFreeman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was at a thrift store today, and I saw an Athlon 64 box. Unfortunately, it didn't contain the processor, just the heatsink and fan.

Reply 32 of 42, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I made shelves from cardboard and foam so the cpu pins are safe in the foam and I can maximise the space like in my first shot with the 486 cpus where the are shoulder to shoulder

unfortunately the trays eat up too much precious room in my suitcases 🙁 the 3 overdrive cpus and the ibm 5x86 are in a 4 slot cut out from a cpu tray as the overdrive cpu were too high due to their heatsink and I did not trust the pins on the foam.

its just something cool about having a metal suitcase full of precious cpu!

A cpu collection is a evergrowing creature so eventually ill have to. keep whats best in the cases and the rest in a box.

My collection is reallt focused on the 486 and early pentiums I am trying to have all the different 486 manufactures and speeds.

the 486 dx4 120 seemed to be the hardest to find, after the cyrix and IBM 5x86 ofcourse

im going to round up my slot1 cpus and take a pic too obviously those can only be stored in a box due to size

Reply 33 of 42, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1 last picture from me, my slot 1 cpus, thought I had more probably because they take up so much room physically. With the exception of 1 socket 370 P3 933 on a slot 1 converter which was my main pc back 15 years ago clocked at 1.1ghz and was very proud of it

IMG-20190201-230520.jpg

Reply 34 of 42, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

Many motherboards allow for running the ISA bus at a fixed rate, which I think is 7.x MHz. This option is usually in the BIOS. The options are usually PCICLK / 2 / 3 / 4 or 7.1x MHz. I suppose if you install an ISA floppy controller, you might be able to POST and run PCPBench. If you can run at 180 MHz and 3.3 V, there's a fair chance you could get 180 MHz working at 3.5 - 4.0 V on some motherboards.

Thanks. I will work on it when I can find time, but some other things came up. So I am late to reply as well.

treeman wrote:

I made shelves from cardboard and foam so the cpu pins are safe in the foam and I can maximise the space like in my first shot with the 486 cpus where the are shoulder to shoulder
unfortunately the trays eat up too much precious room in my suitcases 🙁 the 3 overdrive cpus and the ibm 5x86 are in a 4 slot cut out from a cpu tray as the overdrive cpu were too high due to their heatsink and I did not trust the pins on the foam.

Only noticed the foam at first, but with cut-out cardboard it sounds solid and practical. Although cardboard is not the official anti-static material, it seems rather safe in that regard as well. Good idea.

For now I am very content with trays though. The CPU supply here is actually quite compact, when it is not scattered around everywhere (image below). Someone in the business told me brown trays shipped AMD processors, whilst the light blue trays shipped either Intel or Cyrix. So that is what I conform to now.
That unwieldy Pentium Pro on top still needs a small box, to store it safely. It is one of the few CPUs I have no motherboard for, so I broke my own principles when I bought it.

Those Xeons in your picture are big. More then twice the size of Slot 1 models, which are not exactly small themselves.

Reply 35 of 42, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gerwin wrote:
feipoa wrote:

I'm not sure what the latest datecode is for an Am486 or Am5x86, but I do have a week 37, 2002. It runs at 133 MHz and at 166 MHz (with artifacts).

I received this CPU some days ago, still untested. An Am486 DX4-100V16BG rev B1. The late datecode surprised me: Week 33 2003.

Dayum! 😲
And I thought 2001 was already very recent! 😁

You reckon it's gonna be an overclocking monster? 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 36 of 42, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gerwin wrote:
feipoa wrote:

Thanks. I will work on it when I can find time, but some other things came up. So I am late to reply as well.

That's the beauty of this hobby, there is no rush. Everything will still be there waiting for you in 2 years as well.

Reply 37 of 42, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gerwin wrote:
feipoa wrote:

I'm not sure what the latest datecode is for an Am486 or Am5x86, but I do have a week 37, 2002. It runs at 133 MHz and at 166 MHz (with artifacts).

I received this CPU some days ago, still untested. An Am486 DX4-100V16BG rev B1. The late datecode surprised me: Week 33 2003.

I just saw a 02-2004 datecode Am5x86-133 sell on CPU-World for $9. http://www.cpu-world.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32254

Am5x86-133_B1_2004_02.jpg

Reply 38 of 42, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wait, all AMD x2 CPUs are x3 capable? Or just the 3V3 write-back cache variants?

I don't collect CPUs too look at them, I actually use them (if rarely) so I'm only interested in 386 and 5V 486. Nothing super fancy but that FM Towns 386 is uncommon as you can only get one by diassembling an early Towns machine - and, like in my case, it can actually require desoldering the PGA from the PCB. Below a B1 stepping 386 from Intel, I'm still looking for non sigma-sigma one (or B0 or earlier).

old-cpus.jpg

Original DLC from Cyrix, not a TI. There is a difference actually but nothing important unless you're trying to write a code that IDs those chips. And a 486 that doesn't say 486 anywhere on the package. That 40MHz U5S can (mostly) match performance of the SX2 66MHz.

Reply 39 of 42, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was a bit bored today, so I figured that since I'd received my order of anti-static foam, I would organise some of my spare CPUs.
These are my Socket 7 and earlier CPUs. I might put my slightly more modern CPUs on a sheet like this as well. Would be cool to make a little wooden frame with some LED lighting and a glass front for these.
Not the biggest collection, but these were all originally purchased for the purpose of using. The problem is that I always got that "upgrade itch". Musicians call it "GAS" or Gear Acquisition Syndrome. Astronomers (and sometimes Photographers) call it "Aperture Envy". 🤣

cpu-collection-part-1.png

Edit: Added slightly better pic.

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.