Can't get mouse to work (freedos)

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 20, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
geertjanb wrote on 2022-04-29, 07:28:
Yesterday I started working on the K6 machine again (installed a voodoo1) and was annoyed by still not having a working mouse. I […]
Show full quote

Yesterday I started working on the K6 machine again (installed a voodoo1) and was annoyed by still not having a working mouse. I started googling again and ended up on my own thread (this one). I started reading again and opened the manual @Darry shared for version 4 of my motherboard. Here I could see that one of the pins on the serial heading on the motherboard does nothing. Then I thought about the serial bracket I have lying around where one of the holes is blocked, exactly where the pin of the motherboard says it does nothing. I drilled out the port on the serial bracket connector. Connected it to the motherboard, connected a mouse, and VICTORY. It finally detected a mouse.

My girlfriend wishes I would say it more often. But you guys were right all along that I was using the wrong connector/pin layout.

Thanks! 😀

IMG-20220429-080717.jpg

Glad you got it to work, even if it took almost 4 years 😉 . More seriously, there were so many semi-standards in the "wild west" years of the PC that, in retrospect, it is a bit surprising that things actually worked as well as they did, back in the day.