Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:

Why do you "need" onboard LAN?

What happens if the onboard LAN is flakey, buggy, or bad? Then you have to use an add-on NIC anyway.

And if you are planning on using it for DOS games, you really don't want onboard sound either except for a few select ones and that is going to make your search even more impossible.

+1 especially with how often it seemed like the onboard NIC died on old motherboards, or they had stupid buggy drivers.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 21 of 25, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I guess he wants onboard LAN & sound because of the I/O plate he wants to use that has holes for them.

Decent onboard sound isn't too hard to find combined with his other requirements - but onboard LAN is pretty rare in So370-era, and boards with onboard LAN will tend to be very late ones without ISA. Also, onboard LAN is a server feature so unlikely to be combined with decent onboard audio. Even looking through the PC Chips lottery (not normally somewhere you go to find a decent board...), despite having a lot of So370 board with LAN, every single one of the boards with LAN also had integrated video so no AGP slot.

One tip to widen your search field: So370 CPUs can be installed in Slot 1 boards with a slocket adapter. If you can find a Slot 1 board with the desired audio & LAN, that may be an option.

Reply 22 of 25, by Demonslayer2103

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm going to use a awe 64 in the isa slot anyway and I don't really have a good reson for the onboard lan I just prefer having lan onboard then having a pci card

Reply 23 of 25, by Demonslayer2103

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok if I was to not get onboard lan what is a good board with the other requirements that supports Tualatin that's not crazy rare or expensive

Reply 24 of 25, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stamasd wrote:

Abit VH6T (Apollo Pro 133T, supports Tualatin)

A very good and convenient board.
I recently acquired one and it's so easy to over- or underclock my Tualatin from 700MHz to 1.6GHz directly within the BIOS.

Mine had a lot of leaking caps, though.
I would NOT try to use one without recapping it first.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 25 of 25, by Demonslayer2103

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
schmatzler wrote:
A very good and convenient board. I recently acquired one and it's so easy to over- or underclock my Tualatin from 700MHz to 1.6 […]
Show full quote
stamasd wrote:

Abit VH6T (Apollo Pro 133T, supports Tualatin)

A very good and convenient board.
I recently acquired one and it's so easy to over- or underclock my Tualatin from 700MHz to 1.6GHz directly within the BIOS.

Mine had a lot of leaking caps, though.
I would NOT try to use one without recapping it first.

I really want one of the abit motherboards as I have heard a lot of good things about them but I cant seem to find one for sale at the moment without importing it 😒