VOGONS

ebay NOS dual pentium pro build

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 74, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Your actually putting yours to work? nice! Mine's just for playing around with so wont ever be used "properly"

You can get Piezo speakers for dirt cheap from china, When I was looking a few years ago it was cheaper to buy 20 then just one and slowly using them all up. quick search fond this but probably better deals.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x-NEW-Motherboar … twAAOSwWDBbEj~K

Yeh got a basic sound card in my servers as well, it does come in handy to quickly check a mp3 or whatever as its on the local machine anyway.
At least the drives are easy to access, even some of the cheaper servers from Dell or HP that don't support hot plug make it more difficult having unscrew the cage AND the HDD! really guys?

Reply 21 of 74, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Electrohacker wrote:

and I have this case for it (will require once cut to fit, but should work out very well)

Picture of the case

Got a good pic of the cut needed?

Reply 22 of 74, by Electrohacker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
AlaricD wrote:
Electrohacker wrote:

and I have this case for it (will require once cut to fit, but should work out very well)

Picture of the case

Got a good pic of the cut needed?

60669239_10101124361721957_6440367197666672640_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_oc=AQkcQ-jkqs5I8SamzjAv9YRiiBRRdqVvf4TRklu45wTC3F8gCaK94wa6Zr3SgtroRKU&_nc_ht=scontent.fdtw1-1.fna&oh=81e81075af0ba393886adf6998766e9c&oe=5D6FCB59

Reply 23 of 74, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
thenotch.jpg
Filename
thenotch.jpg
File size
106.33 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Almost didn't see it but then I did! Thanks!

Reply 26 of 74, by winuser_pl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice! How much did you pay for that?

PC1: Highscreen => FIC PA-2005, 64 MB EDO RAM, Pentium MMX 200, S3 Virge + Voodoo 2 8 MB
PC2: AOpen => GA-586SG, 512 MB SDRAM, AMD K6-2 400 MHz, Geforce 2 MX 400

Reply 27 of 74, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Electrohacker wrote:

thats not all of it

Well, I guess I'll figure it out if I get that case 😉

I'm handy with a Dremel and a magnet in a sandwich baggie. The main thing is the one cut at least looks very straightforward and sensible and shouldn't be a total chore.

@liqmat: Yep, that's what I was referring to. Kids today instead might think of CSI, Law & Order, or NCIS.

Reply 28 of 74, by Electrohacker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

$89 for the case

So I got the ram in tonight (been out of town for work) and she booted up. but not without some trouble.

Apparently dual pentium pro systems dont like newer power supplies (less current on the 5V rail) so I had to swap for an older power supply (from around 2003, has more 5V current) and the video glitches went away and the second cpu reported. Only problem is the cables are WAAAAAY too short, time for a stop at microcenter for some extensions. I also had the power and reset switches break free from their factory glue (easy fix with some epoxy). and it seems I need to make a battery holder on the board. I'll suffer with having to reprogram the bios every boot for now, but long term this is annoying. I'll also have to decide on a boot drive from my pile of IDE hard drives and get windows 2000 loaded.

Reply 29 of 74, by Electrohacker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
AlaricD wrote:
Well, I guess I'll figure it out if I get that case ;) […]
Show full quote
Electrohacker wrote:

thats not all of it

Well, I guess I'll figure it out if I get that case 😉

I'm handy with a Dremel and a magnet in a sandwich baggie. The main thing is the one cut at least looks very straightforward and sensible and shouldn't be a total chore.

@liqmat: Yep, that's what I was referring to. Kids today instead might think of CSI, Law & Order, or NCIS.

look on the other side of the board and behind the board. also there was a rib that went from side to side, but YES very easy cutting. a little filing and it looks pretty nice

Reply 30 of 74, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Electrohacker wrote:

Apparently dual pentium pro systems dont like newer power supplies (less current on the 5V rail) so I had to swap for an older power supply (from around 2003, has more 5V current)

How many amps on the +5V rail does the working power supply have? That way I'll know what to look for among what I have or if I need to purchase one.

Reply 32 of 74, by Bullmecha

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice to see another dual Pro. I have a W6-Li Micronics dual pro setup, sitting in the closet 🤣. Looking for a good EEB case to drop it in thats ATX and not AT. Hope it gets up and running soon.

Just a guy with a bad tinkering habit.
i5 6600k Main Rig
too many to list old school rigs

Reply 33 of 74, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good to see the problems that might hit me when I finally get my Dual PPro set up.

I'm planning on some kind of Mach-based OS, because of Cougar/TOS being Mach-based, and that's what ran on ASCI Red, the PPro Supercomputer, and because I have failed in finding a copy of Cougar/TOS and frankly it might be a nightmare to get running given how different the hardware is.

But Mach Ten, OSX, OpenStep, OSF/1, MkLinux... I *almost* got OpenStep running on a laptop a while back - would be interesting.

Edit: OpenStep supports the Number Nine Imagine 128... MWUHAHAHAHA!!!!

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 34 of 74, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Electrohacker wrote:

I'm not completely sure as I'm not home right now, but it is a 550watt psu from the early 2000's rated for the AMD thunderbird and xp cpu's which required more 5V current

Looks like 20A@5V is a bit low; the CPUs would need nominally 17.6A but that's assuming 100% efficiency of the VRMs and all that. I'll see if my old Barton-core Athlon system can be a good donor. I still have that but it's almost too modern to be of real interest at this time.

Reply 35 of 74, by Electrohacker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

so I broke down and bought a 750watt power supply and now it runs fine. I finished it up with some new usb card with front panel headers and a usb internal hub and a 3.0 to 2.0 adaptor so now all the front usb ports work

rosewill even shipped me some replacement parts for the fan controller and switches that were DOA

Reply 39 of 74, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow, looks great. What a nice build. You are the first person to make a build around that mammoth ALR board. Very nice work and research sir. Out of curiosity how are you liking that beautiful NEC luggable?