VOGONS

Reply 20 of 21, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2024-02-18, 09:40:

[FTP] can't do streaming. Files must be copied as a whole

The protocol spec includes a RESTART (resume next transfer starting from n bytes into the file) command allowing you to grab whichever chunks you want, and I recall maybe half of the servers I visited supporting it so it wasn't some exotic oddball feature.

Reply 21 of 21, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
elszgensa wrote on 2024-02-19, 08:21:
Jo22 wrote on 2024-02-18, 09:40:

[FTP] can't do streaming. Files must be copied as a whole

The protocol spec includes a RESTART (resume next transfer starting from n bytes into the file) command allowing you to grab whichever chunks you want, and I recall maybe half of the servers I visited supporting it so it wasn't some exotic oddball feature.

That makes sense, I suppose that was necessary to implement in order continue a file transfer that has been interrupted.

But which normal application software does support this feature, though?

Protocols like SMB or NetBIOS work transparently with a virtual file system, which doesn't require special support by applications.

If there was some FTP-based counterpart to MS Lan-Manager, then that would be interesting.

The ability to have a network drive that maps to a drive letter, I mean.
So no ancient FTP software like Ipswitch would be needed anymore.

Edit: Ipswitch.. Oh my! That reminds me of the dark ages at school when we had Windows 2000 PCs, still. 😁
We used it to work on the school's website.
Years after, I still had lots of nightmares of using MS Frontpage. 🥲

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//