VOGONS

Reply 20 of 26, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
p6889k wrote on 2021-08-03, 01:34:

So, now i'm stuck on boot with the "Building DMI Pool ." message.

That routine writes stuff to the EEPROM. If it can't write to it, it hangs (unlike the ESCD update one, which only gives you the "Write error." message).
In any case, as you deducted by yourself, means the EEPROM got borked.

Reply 21 of 26, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
p6889k wrote on 2021-08-03, 11:31:
I'm curious, do these old EEProms have a limit to how many times they can be reflashed? How does a chip go bad, to the point whe […]
Show full quote

I'm curious, do these old EEProms have a limit to how many times they can be reflashed? How does a chip go bad, to the point where it cannot be successfully flashed again?

If I buy one of the EEProm programmers:
- Should I buy a specific new chip to program? What type, from where? The current one in the board is 32pin in DIP socket, with the words PCI/PNP 686, which I assume is just some Award manufacturer reference to the loaded Bios type, not the chip itself.

- I have in the meantime purchased a brand new old stock Award chip on eBay with the same model number PCI/PNP 686, it's labeled with year 1998 vs mine year 1996, but has the same PCI/PNP 686 label on it, so am hoping I would be able to directly plug it in, get it to boot and then reflash to the mother board BIOS. And if that doesn't work, buy an external programmer and reprogram it there. Or would I be better off with some newly made Bios chip? Which one?

Yes. no idea how many though or failure modes.

erhm... the PCI/PNP686 is just a label. the true chip id is underneath the label.
You can see it if you tear off the label.

first time also I hear about the DMI routine writing to the eeprom.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 22 of 26, by p6889k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I ended up purchasing this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082CKV47V. Should receive it by Thursday and then am going to have fun learning how to use this little monster. I'll try to first reprogram the original chip that's in the board now, if that doesn't work I'll try the replacement chip I ordered and if that doesn't work I'll have to come back here and ask for more advice 😀

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48k, 48k+, 128k, +2
Amiga 1200, 68030/40mhz
386DX/33, ET4000, SBPro2, MT32
Dual PPro/200, Millennium II, Voodoo 2, AWE32, SC-55
etc.

Reply 23 of 26, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
p6889k wrote on 2021-08-03, 15:06:

I ended up purchasing this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082CKV47V. Should receive it by Thursday and then am going to have fun learning how to use this little monster. I'll try to first reprogram the original chip that's in the board now, if that doesn't work I'll try the replacement chip I ordered and if that doesn't work I'll have to come back here and ask for more advice 😀

I will always keep a small stockpile of eeprom chips from decommissioned hardware. Just for reasons like this.

I'm willing to bet the chip is fine, it wouldn't post otherwise. But I imagine there is some setting corruption and/or it just cant write anymore.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 24 of 26, by p6889k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Award chip problem is solved, got the TL866II Plus programmer, popped the Award chip to it, reprogrammed it to W285 Bios and computer boots now. Very easy procedure. Thank you everyone for your advice. Now I'm thinking what other cool things I could do with this programmer...and not brick something along the way 😀

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48k, 48k+, 128k, +2
Amiga 1200, 68030/40mhz
386DX/33, ET4000, SBPro2, MT32
Dual PPro/200, Millennium II, Voodoo 2, AWE32, SC-55
etc.

Reply 25 of 26, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
p6889k wrote on 2021-08-05, 21:45:

The Award chip problem is solved, got the TL866II Plus programmer, popped the Award chip to it, reprogrammed it to W285 Bios and computer boots now. Very easy procedure. Thank you everyone for your advice. Now I'm thinking what other cool things I could do with this programmer...and not brick something along the way 😀

Glad it worked .

Bricking things along the way is part of the fun, as long you have the means to unbrick them . 😉

Reply 26 of 26, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
p6889k wrote on 2021-08-05, 21:45:

AWESOME POSSUM!

i use my programmer about once a month, and it has paid for itself 10 times over.

Here is a pitfall to avoid with these programmers; the adapters SUCK. The sockets last maybe 20 times and then they start to fail, giving you false dead chips and bad reads/writes. Invest in a ZIF plcc32 adapter like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/321556448799

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.