VOGONS

Reply 20 of 23, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would love to confirm this. In my testing I'm certain that DMA didn't work on my board despite there being options in the BIOS for selecting IRQs, if I remember correctly. I tried this with both the HP and FIC BIOS.

I use a Sound Blaster 2 Pro CT1600 for these kind of tests and would have tried all of the available jumper settings.

If you are able to make it work, please report back and I will test it again and try to match your configuration.

Reply 21 of 23, by WJG6260

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Awesome work on this board! I just recently came across this thread as I've been trying to find a board that fits my needs for a PIII system and purchased one of these KC-19+ boards in an attempt to see how the i820 chipset compares. It seems that it's pretty much on par with 440BX, from what I've read, so that sounds interesting to say the least, but the native 133MHz FSB is attractive and the AGP divider is definitely a big plus.

I'm curious about this PCI-ISA bridge chip. The datasheet for the PC87200 suggests full PC/PCI DMA support but doesn't have much to offer about ISA DMA. It's interesting to see the feature parity with the IT8888F that explicitly discusses DDMA and PC/PCI DMA separately. Admittedly, my understanding of the differences and intricacies here is fairly limited, so I'd be interested to see what anyone has to share on this topic.

I've read some success stories of using this board with a SoundBlaster 16 (one is here), but it seems that this PCI-ISA bridge is limited, at least when it comes to cards like the GUS that require various high DMAs. I'd be curious to see if an AWE64 would work in this board, as that could make quite the potent combination.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the HP->FIC BIOS flash must be done in Windows? I saw earlier on the thread that White and Gatewayuser200 found success with the HP utility, but is this in reference to the HP-provided Phoenix utility in DOS or the HP-provided Windows flash tool? I've found both, and I'll attach them here if anyone needs.

Part of what makes this board so attractive is that I'm coming from an ASUS CUV4X that just doesn't bring me much joy in terms of its quirkiness; it's a great board, no doubt, but the VIA chipset is definitely not clock-for-clock equal to 440BX and installing the 4-in-1 drivers seems to help, but not completely ameliorate, the VIA chipset's quirks when it comes to AGP. Speaking of, I swapped the board temporarily to an ASUS CUBX-E (which I may still use over the KC-19+) and found a huge difference in terms of GUI speed, even with a GF4 Ti4200. It seems others have noticed this phenomena. The KC-19+'s use of the i820 seems to be the best of both worlds, avoiding the 440BX's 133MHz overclocking situation and avoiding VIA screwiness. If the ISA situation is salvageable, at least in part, I'd think this board would be an attractive alternative to the more mainstream 440BX setups.

Attachments

• Filename
    PC87200VUL.pdf
    File size
    216.44 KiB
    Downloads
    41 downloads
    File comment
    PC87200 Datasheet
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    IT8888F_V0.9_05192005.pdf
    File size
    654.81 KiB
    Downloads
    30 downloads
    File comment
    ITE8888F Datasheet
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    HP KC19 Tools.zip
    File size
    793.01 KiB
    Downloads
    43 downloads
    File comment
    Zip containing both HP BIOSes (DOS and Windows) with TXT detailing which is which
    File license
    Public domain

-Live Long and Prosper-

Feel free to check out my YouTube and Twitter!

Reply 22 of 23, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On my board, there is no DMA support on the ISA bus. My guess is that the other reference is a mistake, unless he has some other board revision or a different bridge chip.

It's important to clarify that Adlib sound will always work, regardless of DMA, and this can be misleading. DMA is only needed for digital sound effects, not FM or MIDI.

Reply 23 of 23, by WJG6260

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I see, thanks for clarifying as much. My board hasn't arrived yet, so I'm curious to see what the results will be. I wonder if there's different revisions of this board with slightly different bridge chips or something.

Thanks for the explanation as to the AdLib sound as well; I wasn't 100% sure as to whether it was an all-or-none thing, so it's good to know that it will just work.

-Live Long and Prosper-

Feel free to check out my YouTube and Twitter!