VOGONS

power for an old serverboard

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 30, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Funny how phraseology just pops into your head. Tpm = trusted platform module. I doubt i would have remembered apart from seeing the acronym.

Reply 21 of 30, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Getting back to the IBM board, bmc, tpm, ???, the board still needs to be switched on. Or the p/s via the board. I'm going to have to compare the "wiring" of my more or less contemporary Intel scb2 w/this board's wiring. And see if I can come up with anything. Frig all that other crap, I should be able to turn my board on!

Reply 22 of 30, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I looked thru some IBM docs but found nothing as to the pinout connections of that LED switch card part. In the manual page 18 and 47 it is called a Diagnostic Panel but Part List page 124 calls it: #7 LED/switch card (katana) (all models) 37L6460.
AFAIK That is the part you need to figure out the mainboard connector to it as it has two switches, one for power and one for reset IF I read the Maintenance manual proper. Does this sound correct ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 23 of 30, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No it makes absolutely no sense, as it's the first I'm hearing of any of it 😀! I hadn't learned the led catd had a power switch. My thoughts turned.to.the Intel s4600lh last night (though I'm posting about thr IBM board - go figure!).

I have to do a little more reading...

Reply 24 of 30, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To make it more complicated they put the floppy drive cable connector on same card according to page 47....🤣

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 25 of 30, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got photos of this board?

Of this type, there is too many things missing from this just to work. I know this as I purchased server parts in 2020-21. I carefully chose two that does not take much to make it complete.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 26 of 30, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Back in 2018 I bought an Intel serverboard. Dual socket 771. It was plug and go. This schnitzel is for the birds. Ah well may as well see it through.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292673128668

Mine was 20$ shipped. I told myself what could be wrong with this deal.

Reply 27 of 30, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So...ordered the service processor and led cards. Done deal right? NOOOooooo. The guy selling the led card backed out, said he couldn't find it. And the power switch is on that card. I'll have everything I need, presumably. Except the ability to turn it on. Perhaps the connector for the led card will have 2 pins that can be shorted together momentarily.

Reply 28 of 30, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So ... I'll be looking into this in the forthcoming days. Sho wood like to have all 4 P3s humming away soon.

I'm trying to discern the difference between (powering it on) and (just powering it on). Do bmc checks and whatnot happen under standby power? I think not, as standby "is there", at least afaik when the p/s mechanical switch is activated. Power is needed for really everything. So why not just force power on?

Maybe there are some oldies on serve the home that could know.

Reply 29 of 30, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Screenshot_20220329-010214_Gallery.jpg

Ok, I made the mistake of assuming thr 24 pin atx style connector WAS atx. Apparently it isn't. O man did I blow it all up? I never actually powered thr board, but I did connect it to a p/s anf switched it on ... we'll see.

The photo shows the underside of the board. Notice how the voltages are grouped together. There does not appear to be any connections on the board's top.

Reply 30 of 30, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found the led board in Germany. Searched by fru rather then part #.