VOGONS

Reply 20 of 26, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some PCI sound cards used MMX. Without it the CPU utilization might be higher. But that's probably only for things like Direct sound 3D / A3D emulation and soft synths.

Last edited by swaaye on 2022-03-03, 17:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 21 of 26, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lawyerpepper wrote:

There were no mulit-core desktop

Actially no. Windows XP knows if CPU has internal multi-threading or not, because Pentium 4 had Hyper-Threading technology, but still identified as dual-core. But Windows 2000 Professional can't discern between physical and logical threads and won't fully support Core 2 Quad.

but multi-core desktop chips didn't show up until Intel shipped the Core Duo in '06

Pentium D Extreme had 4 threads in 2005. 2 physical cores with HT support.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 22 of 26, by lawyerpepper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2022-03-03, 17:30:
Actially no. Windows XP knows if CPU has internal multi-threading or not, because Pentium 4 had Hyper-Threading technology, but […]
Show full quote
lawyerpepper wrote:

There were no mulit-core desktop

Actially no. Windows XP knows if CPU has internal multi-threading or not, because Pentium 4 had Hyper-Threading technology, but still identified as dual-core. But Windows 2000 Professional can't discern between physical and logical threads and won't fully support Core 2 Quad.

but multi-core desktop chips didn't show up until Intel shipped the Core Duo in '06

Pentium D Extreme had 4 threads in 2005. 2 physical cores with HT support.

We could quibble about Hyper-Threading, but you're absolutely right about the P-D Extreme - I forgot all about that. Way too rich for my wallet, at least back then.

Reply 23 of 26, by Winman486

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
davidrg wrote on 2022-03-03, 03:37:
Thats as good a reason as any in my book! I found these old Compaq EISA-equipped servers pretty fun to play with. […]
Show full quote
Winman486 wrote on 2022-03-03, 03:20:

Thanks for the help and yes I understand it would be a single CPU again my main reasoning is doing it cause I can if I can find drivers and I like using computers for more than one thing. But I will try these disks!

Thats as good a reason as any in my book! I found these old Compaq EISA-equipped servers pretty fun to play with.

If the server has a Compaq SMART array controller then you'll need a few more SoftPaqs - I think at least SP19757 (Download, Readme - Array Diagnostic Utility) and perhaps and SP17917 (Download, Readme - Array Configuration Utility) both for Windows NT 4. Some older versions (SP6263 may be the newest) install to the system partition - I assume places running NetWare must have stuck with this version as all later versions seem to require Windows NT.

Edit: Looking at your photos in the other thread you do appear to have a RAID controller - perhaps a SMART-2/P. Probably worth checking the state of its cache batteries. Running the system config utility may also clear your CPU error - if the server wasn't previously running with four processors it might just be complaining because it wasn't expecting them to be there.

Ok, so I installed a video card. And depending on the slot I cant get the machine to detect scsi drives or it wont show video.

x515xx-5.png

Reply 24 of 26, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows XP knows if CPU has internal multi-threading or not, because Pentium 4 had Hyper-Threading technology, but still identified as dual-core. But Windows 2000 Professional can't discern between physical and logical threads and won't fully support Core 2 Quad.

Why wouldn't it? Core 2 Quad does not have Hyper Threading, there are 4 symmetrical cores (sort of. it's more complicated when it comes to the cache) which should be simply detected as 4 processors.

EDIT: Ah, ok, I got it. Stupid limitation to 2 CPUs.

Reply 25 of 26, by Winman486

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Azarien wrote on 2022-03-04, 05:52:

Windows XP knows if CPU has internal multi-threading or not, because Pentium 4 had Hyper-Threading technology, but still identified as dual-core. But Windows 2000 Professional can't discern between physical and logical threads and won't fully support Core 2 Quad.

Why wouldn't it? Core 2 Quad does not have Hyper Threading, there are 4 symmetrical cores (sort of. it's more complicated when it comes to the cache) which should be simply detected as 4 processors.

EDIT: Ah, ok, I got it. Stupid limitation to 2 CPUs.

Update with a reason 9250 it wont show SCSI drives but with an s3 Virge it will.

x515xx-5.png

Reply 26 of 26, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

XP worked wonderfully on the Core Duo chips and many Windows XP Media Center PCs shipped with those CPUs, before Vista took hold. I ran a Q6600 with XP for a long time, as my main gaming machine.