VOGONS

Pentium 200, non-mmx - low dos benchmarks?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 22, by AST-AUTISMO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mkarcher wrote on 2023-08-11, 18:17:
AST-AUTISMO wrote on 2022-09-24, 18:03:

In the process of reading what little Intel documentation still exists for the Advanced/Monaco board, I also discovered that the board was set to feed the CPU 3.6V intseat of 3.3 volts, which would explain why the thing ran so hot that it needed socket 370 heatsink/fan. Hopefully with this I can go back to using the original low-profile heatsink. The otiginal processor was a Pentium 133, so maybe it was an early enough example that it needed 3.6V?

Pentium processors have a marking whether they require "extended voltage" (i.e. 3.5V nominal, also known as "VRE"), or can run at "standard voltage" (i.e. 3.3V nominal). As I heard the story, most P200 non-MMX were rated at extended voltage, so a 3.6V makes a lot of sense for a 200MHz pentium. Most 133MHz pentiums were specified for standard voltage, though.

At the bottom side on your processor, there should be a three-letter code after the S-Spec number. The S-Spec number is something like "SY045". If that three-letter code starts with a "V", that processor is not specified to run stable at 3.3V. At CPU-world, I found multiple photos of Pentium 200 processors reading "VSU". Each letter is either "S" to mean "standard", or a special letter to indicate a specification deviation. The first letter is the "V"oltage letter. The final letter is the "U"niprocessor letter (so a processor labelled "U" instead of "S" is not specified to work in dual-pentium mainboards). I don't remember what the central letter is for.

Just wanted to say thank you for this excellent info

Reply 21 of 22, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Socket 5/7/SS7 really was an amazing platform we will likely never see again.

It spanned
75mhz to 570mhz (though 10mhz to 700mhz is possible )
50-100mhz fsb (some supported 7mhz, even 150 mhz though never stable)
1.6v to 3.6v
Multipliers spanning 1x-6x
Cyrix, ST, IBM, Rise, intel, AMD, IDT, and even had counterfeit chips golden tigers/warriors
You could even with some effort make boards designed for the first chips run the last ones.

Salute🫡

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 22 of 22, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-08-11, 20:07:
beachboy1122 wrote on 2023-08-11, 17:36:

I NEED ADVICE. I AM LOOKING FOR ANY MOTHERBOARD [ROM FOR PCEM] THAT HAS A PENTIUM 200 AND A GAMEPORT. PLEASE WRITE TO ME ON MY TELEGRAM [MWMILLENNIUM]

IM NOT FAMILIAR WITH ANY PENTIUM 200 MOTHERBAORDS WITH BUILD-IN GAMEPORTS

I had some early ATX Socket 7 boards that had a game port and audio onboard, one you had to use a cable and bracket, the other took a proprietary ATX backplate.

Not sure why you would want this though considering the sound wasn’t very compatible in dos.