Which SB Audigy can I use?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 20, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RedSarg99 wrote on 2023-05-31, 16:06:

The ISA card (Value AWE64) seems like it will handle everything, save for soundfonts since it will only except 512kb sf I believe.

Yes 512KB by default or a max of 28MB if you upgrade the memory (you would need to buy the simmconn adapter first)
I'm not aware of any work around within windows as Dominus mentions, but then have never looked into it so may be possible?

If you check Device Manager you should see 3 sound cards.
AWE64
Audigy
Audigy Legacy Driver

Make a note of the AWE's resources. Lets say it's using IRQ 5, DMA 1 & 5, Midi Port 300
Do the same for Audigy Legacy Driver (This is what emulates a soundcard in a dos window) lets say its using IRQ 7 DMA 3 & 7 Midi 330

Dos games will use what you tell them. They don't care if its the same card or not so if tell setup to use the AWE's sound blaster settings but point Midi to the Audigy entry of 330 that's what it'll use

If your booting to pure dos it's the same concept but is a bit more messy, much nicer to have a menu item allowing you to choose if you want to load up the AWE or Audigy and keeping dos as a 1 card setup.

RedSarg99 wrote on 2023-05-31, 16:06:

Some people play around with line in from one to the other. But is that needed?

If you don't you'll only ever hear the noise from the card the speakers are plugged into.
As I have a number of PC's often with multiple soundcards, for me I find it better to run an audio extension cable from each soundcard to the front of the PC and plug my speakers/headphones direct to whichever I'm using.
But if your wanting to have MIDI from one card and sound from another you'll need to either have a cable from 1 cards line out to the other's line in or have 2 sets of speakers attached to each card.