User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
giantclam wrote on 2023-09-15, 04:18:
https://imgur.com/WcAoNc8.png […]
Show full quote

WcAoNc8.png

wp6x7PO.png

This is a signal going to the GPIO, which tells the south bridge that it needs to process the shutdown through the APM/ACPI.
With such a very high quality connector, only 3 amperes are allowed per 1 pin, for 10 amperes you already need at least 5 of them.
https://elektrotanya.com/jetway_j-618tas_rev_ … ownload.html#dl
page 33
The schemes are generally simple and quite accessible, this is not rocket science. A modern router with DDR3/2.5Gbit/USB3 and AX Wi-Fi is much more complicated.

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value

Reply 22 of 26, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nexxen wrote on 2023-09-14, 22:25:
PcBytes wrote on 2023-09-14, 22:03:

What I'd check would be the caps. Those are 20+ years old caps.

Nope, that's 20+ years of LOW QUALITY caps... nuance there not negligeable 😀
This is PCChips level, good it didn't blow in his face straight off.

While that Fortemedia soundchip isn't really what I'd call quality, Shuttle's AT implementation of 370 is far better than most PCChips mainboards. I wonder if the HOT-685 doesn't support Coppermines with some modding.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 23 of 26, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PcBytes wrote on 2023-09-15, 09:16:
PcBytes wrote on 2023-09-14, 22:03:

What I'd check would be the caps. Those are 20+ years old caps.

While that Fortemedia soundchip isn't really what I'd call quality, Shuttle's AT implementation of 370 is far better than most PCChips mainboards. I wonder if the HOT-685 doesn't support Coppermines with some modding.

That was from my experience with 3 Shuttle boards, they all sucked on capacitors' side.
Any way I'm pretty sure this board is close to coming back to life.

In my country it was an interesting option, AT P-II bundles, but m/b + ram + cpu wasn't that cheap still.
At least you saved on case and PSU.
It was long ago 😀

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 24 of 26, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nexxen wrote on 2023-09-15, 11:19:
That was from my experience with 3 Shuttle boards, they all sucked on capacitors' side. Any way I'm pretty sure this board is cl […]
Show full quote

That was from my experience with 3 Shuttle boards, they all sucked on capacitors' side.

In my country it was an interesting option, AT P-II bundles, but m/b + ram + cpu wasn't that cheap still.
It was long ago 😀

Nahh, EPoX by far were way worse in cap quality than Shuttle 🤣

IIRC I had a lot of boards from my aunt's husband's workplace, among which were an EPoX EP-BX3, an MSI 6199VA, Shuttle AV61, a bunch of pretty sad looking Aopen AP5VM (only 1 out of 3 was complete enough component wise and it booted to my surprise, had a Winchip in it), PCChips M577 and an Acorp 6VIA81P.

Out of the Slot 1 boards, EPoX had spilled cap guts, so did the MSI, with the sole survivors being AV61 and the Acorp.
From what I remember, the Shuttle board had some IQ caps which I later found out were renamed OSTs.
The Acorp had Teapos, MSI had Chhsi (which I hope NOBODY ever has to inhale their putrid smell when removing them from the board) and the EPoX was FULL (every single cap) of GSCs.

Hence why the Shuttle, despite having dried caps, were at least better than MSI or EPoX.

Then there's Canicons on LuckyTech, Tayeh on Luckystar and ABIT (LuckyTech and LuckyStar are different companies) and IIRC Wendell on some pre-P4 era Soyos. (I said some because while my 6BA+IV came with Wendells, I had a older SY-5EMM come with I.Q. caps)

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 25 of 26, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PcBytes wrote on 2023-09-15, 11:38:
Nahh, EPoX by far were way worse in cap quality than Shuttle lol […]
Show full quote
Nexxen wrote on 2023-09-15, 11:19:
That was from my experience with 3 Shuttle boards, they all sucked on capacitors' side. Any way I'm pretty sure this board is cl […]
Show full quote

It was long ago 😀

Nahh, EPoX by far were way worse in cap quality than Shuttle 🤣

IIRC I had a lot of boards from my aunt's husband's workplace, among which were an EPoX EP-BX3, an MSI 6199VA, Shuttle AV61, a bunch of pretty sad looking Aopen AP5VM (only 1 out of 3 was complete enough component wise and it booted to my surprise, had a Winchip in it), PCChips M577 and an Acorp 6VIA81P.

Out of the Slot 1 boards, EPoX had spilled cap guts, so did the MSI, with the sole survivors being AV61 and the Acorp.
From what I remember, the Shuttle board had some IQ caps which I later found out were renamed OSTs.
The Acorp had Teapos, MSI had Chhsi (which I hope NOBODY ever has to inhale their putrid smell when removing them from the board) and the EPoX was FULL (every single cap) of GSCs.

Hence why the Shuttle, despite having dried caps, were at least better than MSI or EPoX.

Then there's Canicons on LuckyTech, Tayeh on Luckystar and ABIT (LuckyTech and LuckyStar are different companies) and IIRC Wendell on some pre-P4 era Soyos. (I said some because while my 6BA+IV came with Wendells, I had a older SY-5EMM come with I.Q. caps)

No wonder forums were full of "instability" threads. This is a battlefield 🤣
2000's era motherboards I have ALL had caps issues, but not the usual Nichicon and alike. Those are still strong after 20+ years.

These are starting to pile up as "old times stories"... Wasn't all fun and wonder back then. 😀

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 26 of 26, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shevalier wrote:
Yep, i.e. CUBX-L. :-) There not solder DC/DC and has 4 solder wire from ATX rail to matherboard 3.3V. Rumors that there are some […]
Show full quote
shamino wrote on 2023-09-14, 21:24:

Some dual power boards do in fact draw power from the 3.3V pins of the ATX connector, and they don't all even need a jumper to do it.

Yep, i.e. CUBX-L. 😀
There not solder DC/DC and has 4 solder wire from ATX rail to matherboard 3.3V.
Rumors that there are some special boards that determine everything themselves and switch the power supply are urban legends.
Nowadays, many motherboard schematics have leaked online. Everything is much more boring and banal, alas.

Late revisions of the Tyan S1590 do the same thing - ATX 3.3V is connected to the onboard 3.3V rail. Older revisions used jumpers, late revisions have it soldered. I use an ATX PSU with that board for that exact reason.
I don't know what legends you're referring to, but I think we agree.
*Depending on the design of the motherboard*, using an ATX power supply might relieve pressure on the 3.3V supply on the board and allow problematic AGP cards to work better.