Reply 22420 of 53062, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:
rikukos wrote:
DaveJustDave wrote:

did you really pay $6000USD for a sound card?

No, not even close. Check the seller ratings and you get the right figure I believe (if you're that interested 😕 )

As long as you are happy, who am I to say anything, but at $4000 It must be nice to have more money than sense.

Holy crap... I doubt I'll ever have enough money for that to sound even remotely reasonable.

That said, it is all relative. In a third world country where someone has to slave away 7 days a week just to keep their family alive in a dirt floor shack, spending $50 on a box full of old computer parts probably sounds insane too.

... of course spending 4 grand on a sound card would probably just make them outright cry or laugh, I'm not sure.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 22421 of 53062, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote:

I consider Creative 3D Blaster VLB much rarer and it was sold for much less.

Quite a few 3D Blaster VLBs have been showing up the last years. I would say there are about 15-20 known cards in hands of collectors. I would expect the same with the Adlib Gold. Personally I know of fewer collectors that own the Neon 250 for instance.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 22422 of 53062, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

As long as you are happy, who am I to say anything, but at $4000 It must be nice to have more money than sense.

WTF? You should have gone with your first instinct and said nothing, but you did anyway, and now you come across looking kinda bitter and kinda jealous, which is embarrassing for you and might make the OP think twice about sharing his stuffs going forward. Lose lose.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 22423 of 53062, by rikukos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
meljor wrote:

Seems that in 2016 a Gold was sold for 3400 and that was a used one and without a box or anything else. 2 Years later, sealed, boxed and complete.... yeah, that's an expensive item. 😲

Indeed, that's how I rationalized the price as well. Looking at the history / prices via eBay and Google one can find out that there were at least one boxed one which went for around 3.500 USD. That was like 2 years ago. And those who follow the market do know that these puppies (and I am talking about boxed puppies now) do not appear even every year. Hell, next one might come in 10 years 🤣 So it's a kind of "take it or leave it" situation. I do not like price discussion as we all do value things differently and will/can spend different kinds of amount to this hobby. I thought twice before posting this one (as somehow I anticipated this coming) but thought I do want to share the old box art with you guys anyway.

Reply 22424 of 53062, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for sharing and enjoy it! I think it is nice that you even want to use it instead of keeping it sealed.

And it IS all relative.. lot's of people do not understand that i even spend money on this hobby, doesn't even matter how much (or little) it is. As soon as i tell that items are worth even more than i paid for them it starts to make sense to most of them. But once i tell them it doesn't matter as i will not sell it they are lost again 🤣

Today the price for your Adlib was only half a bitcoin, i think it's a steal! 😎

Again: enjoy it.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 22425 of 53062, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ Thanks for posting it. I'm quite happy there are collectors in our community serious enough to buy these things & then actually open the boxes and share with us. I don't go after that kind of stuff myself but if you feel it's worth the price tag, more power to you.

In the video games world it seems like a lot of the really rare or interesting stuff gets immediately funnelled down a black hole into some secretive recluse's stash and never seen by the public again. That's a huge shame.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 22426 of 53062, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:
luckybob wrote:

WTF? You should have gone with your first instinct and said nothing, but you did anyway, and now you come across looking kinda bitter and kinda jealous, which is embarrassing for you and might make the OP think twice about sharing his stuffs going forward. Lose lose.

Bitter? no.

Jealous, no. Technically speaking envy occurs when we lack a desired attribute enjoyed by another. Jealousy occurs when something we already possess (usually a special relationship) is threatened by a third person. So in this case I'm a bit envious.

Embarrassed? Nope.

He can share what he likes, and I can share what I like. I'm glad Rikukos is happy with his purchase. More power to him. That's not going to stop me from saying; "Damn, that's 4 mortgage payments, I wish I had one to sell"

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 22427 of 53062, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Price discussions always get out of hand here. My general advice: post your stuff, whenever somebody asks where it came from, tell 'em it was a private sale or a flea market find...

Back to topic: I found a Leadtek Winfast A350 TDH complete in box a few days ago. Will post pics when it arrives. In my opinion this is probably the most interesting looking Geforce FX 5900 out there. Very happy I found one after many moons of searching.

Last edited by blurks on 2018-03-14, 22:03. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 22428 of 53062, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't say it's from a flea market, because 90% of my stuff comes from there, people will think I'm a liar if that becomes a "rule" 🙁

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 22429 of 53062, by rikukos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
meljor wrote:

And it IS all relative.. Today the price for your Adlib was only half a bitcoin, i think it's a steal! 😎 .

Thanks. I think you nailed it all pretty well here 😀

xjas wrote:

In the video games world it seems like a lot of the really rare or interesting stuff gets immediately funnelled down a black hole into some secretive recluse's stash and never seen by the public again. That's a huge shame.

Thanks. And here we're not (yet) rating and enclosing stuff in plastic containers and then listing them for 3 x the price. So I would say this hobby is (still) quite practical, after all. Nothing against those who enjoy doing that, though. But the stuff I buy I actually do want to play with some day 😎

blurks wrote:

My general advice: post your stuff, whenever somebody asks where it came from, tell 'em it was a private sale or a flea market find...

That's a good advice. Just too many detectives around I see 🤣

Reply 22430 of 53062, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

That's not going to stop me from saying; "Damn, that's 4 mortgage payments, I wish I had one to sell"

But you didn't say that, you said he had no sense. Just be nice 😀

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 22431 of 53062, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Friend dropped off a complete P2 box. Little muddy but other than that in beautiful shape and is almost a spitting image of my old PC. Awe64 Value, 10m/b pci Realtek LAN, 10gb Fujitsu HDD, P2 350mhz and a EDIT: FIC not dfi VB-601. Trying to hunt down the user manual to swap a Katmai 550mhz P3 in.

Attachments

Last edited by ODwilly on 2018-03-15, 03:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 22432 of 53062, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rikukos wrote:

[...]

Thanks. And here we're not (yet) rating and enclosing stuff in plastic containers and then listing them for 3 x the price. So I would say this hobby is (still) quite practical, after all. Nothing against those who enjoy doing that, though. But the stuff I buy I actually do want to play with some day 😎

Just don't plaster it with play-doh and short circuit the thing 😉

On-topic and at almost the exact opposite end of the market- not really pic-worthy, but a pile of cables arrived here today:
- SCSI 50p flat cable
- SCSI 50p-68p converter
- 40p+Molex-44p mIDE
- three new cables for my 4-port KVM switch

Reply 22433 of 53062, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not a GeForce4 Ti4800SE but a real Ti4600 (I hope) or Ti4400. And cheap too!

Attachments

Reply 22434 of 53062, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:
rikukos wrote:
DaveJustDave wrote:

did you really pay $6000USD for a sound card?

No, not even close. Check the seller ratings and you get the right figure I believe (if you're that interested 😕 )

I rather have a 4K monitor than a 4K sound card 🤣

Reply 22435 of 53062, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Everyone can have fun spending whatever the heck they want on whatever they want as long as it keeps our precious out of the recycle pit. Now will someone please find me a Cardinal SNAPplus ISA video editing card. (smirk) I almost nabbed one off of LetGo, but missed it by days or weeks NIB. SO frustrating!!! And they only wanted $10!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I offered $100, but no response. That's the worst part, no response. So I have no idea if it sold or that they just wont ship. I want to get those floppies imaged with the proprietary software for archival purposes. I also would like to look into getting the wire dongle replicated if the cost isn't too astronomical. Oh well, it's still an unobtainium item for me. The search continues.

Here's what the top of the box looks like:

Cardinal_SnapPlus.jpg
Filename
Cardinal_SnapPlus.jpg
File size
122.19 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 22436 of 53062, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SpectriaForce wrote:

Not a GeForce4 Ti4800SE but a real Ti4600 (I hope) or Ti4400. And cheap too!

Heh, I got tripped by one of these in my PowerMac G4 build. I completely didn't realize there were damn-near-identical 4400 and 4600 variants of this card. Spent a good hour trying to flash an incompatible ROM and wondering WTF it wasn't working.

If you take it apart could you post some pictures of what those fans look like on their own? I'd like to revert my card to a more stock-looking cooling setup if I ever find some compatible fans.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 22437 of 53062, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xjas wrote:

If you take it apart could you post some pictures of what those fans look like on their own? I'd like to revert my card to a more stock-looking cooling setup if I ever find some compatible fans.

Vantec made a single slot Iceberq 4 pro aftermarket cooler setup compatible with these cards. Along with some other manufacturers as well of course.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 22438 of 53062, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rikukos wrote:
Thanks. I think you nailed it all pretty well here :happy: […]
Show full quote
meljor wrote:

And it IS all relative.. Today the price for your Adlib was only half a bitcoin, i think it's a steal! 😎 .

Thanks. I think you nailed it all pretty well here 😀

xjas wrote:

blurks wrote:

My general advice: post your stuff, whenever somebody asks where it came from, tell 'em it was a private sale or a flea market find...

That's a good advice. Just too many detectives around I see 🤣

I'm happy you're happy. As long as you treat her with respect, you're alright in my book.

Of course, this is another feature which will have to be added to the theoretical ultimate sound card, along with SB16 support, SB Pro support, GUS support, persistent SF2 wavetable loads from Windows and DOS, Covox and DSS support, PAS support, clean intelligent mode MPU-401 functionality, and SPDIF I/O.

Obviously, we're talking about a full length card, here.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 22439 of 53062, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, I am going to have about 2 dozen 8-bit and 16-bit ISA sound cards coming my way.

Found somebody who had a stash from years ago. Guessing with the 5 or 6 8-bit slot cards I am getting my money's worth even though I paid significantly more for this lot than I have for any other large lot. I don't know the specifics of any of the cards in this lot, but even if I have copies of most of the cards already I should be able to make my money back selling the ones I don't want.

The only 8-bit slot cards I currently have are:
Sound Blaster 2.0
Aztech BX-II
Mediavision Thunderboard
Adlib clone
Tecmar Arpa PC Stereo Board

Last edited by cyclone3d on 2018-03-15, 18:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK