VOGONS

Reply 300 of 27625, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AidanExamineer wrote:

Just got back from Portland Retro Gaming Expo.

And I wondered, What's a Portland Retro Gaming Expo? This 5-minute ytube montage of the 2013 event made a good quick answer. (Nice pong demo.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9snHHC37TXI

Reply 301 of 27625, by Thraka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AidanExamineer wrote:

Just got back from Portland Retro Gaming Expo. It was only kind-of retro, and it was 98.6 percent console retro.

Did find a cheap no-box copy of Planescape Torment though, and attended some good panels. It was good to meet Pat the NES Punk, especially since I contribute videos to his website (shameless plug? nah, it's not THAT shameless).

The one up here in seattle is kind of in the same boat. Usually nothing much PC related. So I take it you didn't really see anything PC? I've debated on driving down there, but I really don't want to make a 3 hour drive, hotel, drive back all for very little.

Reply 302 of 27625, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There was only one seller with any PC stuff of note. There were some big box PC games, but they weren't obscure enough or well known enough to be interesting. Or cheap enough to make me buy them anyway. Like, Star Wars Force Commander, and Space Quest 6. Eh. If they were a good deal, then hell yeah I'd pick them up, but everything there was eBay prices, so what's the point.

The panels were also very console based. Joey Desena's panel about game preservation was broad in scope, so it was the closest to PC game talk I got all weekend.

Reply 303 of 27625, by tyuper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Overclocked FSB on Abit BX133-RAID with PIII-S 1.4 GHz to 150 MHz. Not impressive result, but it was very stable up to this frequency.. And I think 3DBench wants to say something that I don't know about this machine 🤣
20gfo85.jpg

Reply 305 of 27625, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JidaiGeki wrote:
133MHz wrote:

Finally got around to strip and thoroughly clean these two cases I found at flea markets months ago, on which I intend to build a 386DX-33 and a 486DX4-100 VLB based systems.

Which system should go in each case? The one on the right seems more '386-y' to me but what do you guys think? 😀

Love the cases, so clean and fresh 😀 nice find!

Agree that the one on the right looks more like 386 material; maybe the smoked front of the left side case looks more "futuristic" 🤣

Personally what I do is jumper the power on and test each voltage with a multimeter. Just be careful not to short them or there will be big sparks

Reply 306 of 27625, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cleaned up my work-horse HP DC7800 tower, swapped out the processor with a quad-core Yorkfield - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 running at 2.83Ghz with 12MB L2 cache.

VLd1CI.jpg
iNhK88.jpg
9tdJVM.jpg
S8CigF.jpg

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 310 of 27625, by Liqu1d82

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This morning I put a AT-2500TX 10/100TX network adapter on my [crowded] Win9x / Win2k build, and surfed Internet with Netscape Navigator v9 😉

I also installed Winamp v1, just to navigate memories <3

P_20141027_104600.jpg

sig.gif
Without change something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken.
http://liqu1d82.tumblr.com [My Tumblr] // https://twitter.com/Liqu1d82 [My Twitter]

Reply 311 of 27625, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mucking around with Windows XP lateley. You might think Windows XP isn't retro, but it's been 10 years and I rather get in early before the vultures snap up all the good hardware 😀

Got something interesting planned and working on gathering data / research / hands-on experience and all of that. Hoping to produce an epic video for future Windows XP Retro PC gamers 🤣

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 312 of 27625, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got Quake in the mail in the original box (box is in acceptable shape, but the game itself was unopened). And Quake 2 and 3 on the way.
Overclocked the Voodoo 3 2000 to 166 MHz and it is stable at that.

Reply 313 of 27625, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
philscomputerlab wrote:

Mucking around with Windows XP lateley. You might think Windows XP isn't retro, but it's been 10 years and I rather get in early before the vultures snap up all the good hardware 😀

Got something interesting planned and working on gathering data / research / hands-on experience and all of that. Hoping to produce an epic video for future Windows XP Retro PC gamers 🤣

Windows XP IS retro. Its 13 years old now!
Very old by software terms. The only reason that it still has a lot of software support is because so many people kept uising it

Reply 316 of 27625, by smeezekitty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Regressive XP's popularity is what kicked this very board into existence in the first place.

I don't think that getting away from buggy DOS based Windows was regressive. But it did break some old programs.
They could have done better with the compatibility.

Reply 317 of 27625, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
smeezekitty wrote:
leileilol wrote:

Regressive XP's popularity is what kicked this very board into existence in the first place.

I don't think that getting away from buggy DOS based Windows was regressive. But it did break some old programs.
They could have done better with the compatibility.

What's DOS based about Windows XP? The last DOS based OS is Windows Me.

Reply 318 of 27625, by DataPro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I managed to make my SoundBlaster AWE64 ISA Pnp works under DOS7.1.
Now I got sound with Dune 2.

Next step : make Comanche works... (finding best memory configuration).

HP Vectra 562 P166Mhz/256Ko L2 cache/Triton 430FX - 112Mo RAM - 2x 32Go+64Go CF Card - Matrox G2 8Mo - SB AWE64 ISA (PnP) + Roland MT-32 & M-GS64 (SC-88) & JV-1010 - Nec USB 2.0 PCI - Promise Ultra100 TX2 - Hama multicard reader

Reply 319 of 27625, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DataPro wrote:

Next step : make Comanche works... (finding best memory configuration).

Do you have the patch? It removes the nasty memory requirements. Search for Cmom3h.zip

Life? Don't talk to me about life.