VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 30640 of 53040, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

TVGA8900 with 26 DIP switches, plus some jumpers...
Why the hell such a simple card needs so many settings?

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 30642 of 53040, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
iPonRMA wrote:

Red switches: Memory size (all on or all off mode only)

Then that's what's called "bad design".
256, 512, 768, 1024 KB - four possible combinations, so two switches, not twenty.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 30645 of 53040, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote:
Hmm, strange, aslo cannot write to you anymore...can you please upload it here? You can use my photo if you like XT BIOS image c […]
Show full quote
iPonRMA wrote:
Predator99 wrote:

Hi iPonRMA,

can you please provide your BIOS? I soldered some RAM-sockets. Supersoft doesnt report relevant errors anymore, RAM seems to work. But I do not find a working BIOS to boot. Turbo XT BIOS does not work, same applies to the one from Cyrix200+. Also never seen that "G2 GC100A-PC" chipset on a XT...

Thanks!

Hi,

I dont know the reason, but it seems i cannot reply your PM. I found the board and just made a backup of the BIOS, so please send me your email address and i will send there.

Hmm, strange, aslo cannot write to you anymore...can you please upload it here? You can use my photo if you like
XT BIOS image collection

Dont know if you read it, but in the mean time I had some success:
Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

But still not happy with that BIOS, the original one will be better.

Many thanks for your efforts!

Thanks for uploading the ROM iPonRMA. Unfortunately it doesent work (yet). Maybe the reason here is also the missing parity RAM. In the mean time I got the TURBO XT BIOS running, but only after removing the parity check in the source.
I am also surprised your image has a size of 32kb. When I look at a working ROM (on a 64 kb EEPROM filled with data) with debug.exe after booting, the BIOS code starts at F000:E000, there is nothing in the area before that. Therefore the CPU only sees the last 8 kb of the EPROM.
Dont know yet what that means...

Reply 30646 of 53040, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Grzyb wrote:
iPonRMA wrote:

Red switches: Memory size (all on or all off mode only)

Then that's what's called "bad design".
256, 512, 768, 1024 KB - four possible combinations, so two switches, not twenty.

Actually, it's probably what's called "Cheap design"

Each of those switches probably connects one line at a time to the DRAMs.

Reply 30647 of 53040, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bough myself a monochrome monitor a while ago and it finally showed up. It's filthy, and even though it was listed as working, I'm going to disassemble and clean it before it goes anywhere near a power outlet. Will be using it with my turbo XT:
MVIMG_20191008_153509.jpg
IMG_20191008_153501.jpg

Reply 30648 of 53040, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ that's a neat monitor, should look great when it's cleaned up. What color phosphor is it? Goes perfectly with the system too.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 30649 of 53040, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pretty cool monitor! Nice Turbo XT too.

I bought this thing today for my XT clone (payed ~18 USD). I don't know if it works (well it doesn't smoke when turned on) as seller didn't had display adapter for it. Judging from the CRT designation it should have green phosphorous in it. I hope it won't get damaged in shipping... I will let you know once it arrives.

Attachments

• z2.jpg
    Filename
    z2.jpg
    File size
    659.01 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • z1.jpg
    Filename
    z1.jpg
    File size
    1.08 MiB
    Views
    File license

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 30650 of 53040, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FAMICOMASTER wrote:

Bough myself a monochrome monitor a while ago and it finally showed up. It's filthy, and even though it was listed as working, I'm going to disassemble and clean it before it goes anywhere near a power outlet. Will be using it with my turbo XT:

The monitor looks very interesting. But I would not dare to turn it on in this state (and maybe also not after cleaning). I have a lot of respect for the high voltage and the vacuum tube in it. Let us know if it works...

Reply 30651 of 53040, by Zero_sugar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

PsNmfuW.jpg

Picked this up today. Anyone know what variation of Geforce3 this is? NV20 is printed on the die, not Geforce3. No other identifying marks that bring up anything helpful on google.

Reply 30652 of 53040, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

NV20 is a Geforce 3. Probably a Geforce Ti-200 based on the fan and heatsink size. I see a part/board number in top right but can't make it out, can you take take a better "non angled" picture ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 30653 of 53040, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Only one way to find out which version it is. Install an older nVidia driverset and it'll tell you which GPU it is.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 30654 of 53040, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote:

NV20 is a Geforce 3. Probably a Geforce Ti-200 based on the fan and heatsink size. I see a part/board number in top right but can't make it out, can you take take a better "non angled" picture ?

It could be either a Ti 200 or a Vanilla GF3. It's a Dell OEM card, built by creative.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 30655 of 53040, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FAMICOMASTER wrote:

That pc enclosure needs 'some' attention too 😉

Reply 30656 of 53040, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote:
Thanks for uploading the ROM iPonRMA. Unfortunately it doesent work (yet). Maybe the reason here is also the missing parity RAM. […]
Show full quote
Predator99 wrote:
Hmm, strange, aslo cannot write to you anymore...can you please upload it here? You can use my photo if you like XT BIOS image c […]
Show full quote
iPonRMA wrote:

Hi,

I dont know the reason, but it seems i cannot reply your PM. I found the board and just made a backup of the BIOS, so please send me your email address and i will send there.

Hmm, strange, aslo cannot write to you anymore...can you please upload it here? You can use my photo if you like
XT BIOS image collection

Dont know if you read it, but in the mean time I had some success:
Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

But still not happy with that BIOS, the original one will be better.

Many thanks for your efforts!

Thanks for uploading the ROM iPonRMA. Unfortunately it doesent work (yet). Maybe the reason here is also the missing parity RAM. In the mean time I got the TURBO XT BIOS running, but only after removing the parity check in the source.
I am also surprised your image has a size of 32kb. When I look at a working ROM (on a 64 kb EEPROM filled with data) with debug.exe after booting, the BIOS code starts at F000:E000, there is nothing in the area before that. Therefore the CPU only sees the last 8 kb of the EPROM.
Dont know yet what that means...

Sorry for being off-topic, but I have found some 16-Pin sockets and soldered them with 3xKM41C256P-8. Now, Award, Phoenix and also Turbo XT BIOS boot my Philips 5107 board without modification or complaining about parity.

Only the image from the original board provided by iPonRMA does not work 🙁 It only displays "FF" on the post card (same as the other ROMs do...).
Strings inside are:

Copyright (c) 1989 HeadStart Technologies Company A Division of North American Philips Corporation

Award SoftwarIBM COMPATIBLE 286 BIOS COPYRIGHT Award Software Inc.Software Inc. Award Soft....8088/86 Modular BIOS Version 3.0F 12/18/87
Copyright (c) Award Software Inc.
HEADSTART LX ver. 2.36

So the ROM/board is indeed from a "HEADSTART LX", which is a 8088.

As written, its very strange that all other ROMs are only 8kb while the HEADSTART is 32kb. And my 5107 board "sees" only 8 kb at adress F000:E000, nothing more. Strange, but I will not try anymore as my board is running fine with the other ROMs.

Reply 30657 of 53040, by silentw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Predator99 wrote:
Adlib looks good, I have learned the date code on the Yamaha is important, but difficult to read. […]
Show full quote

Adlib looks good, I have learned the date code on the Yamaha is important, but difficult to read.

I have just bought 10 of these boards and some other nice things (sellers photo) - of course I dont need that many. They seem to be boards from a PHILIPS PC-XT (5107). CPU, ROM, RAM-sockets and crystals are missing. Seems to be easy to replace and after removing the COM/LPT connectors this may fit in a standard case. Think 8-bit IDE and Floppy is onboard. Hope a standard BIOS will do the job and I get this running 😀

The attachment xta.jpg is no longer available
The attachment xtb.jpg is no longer available

I think I have one of those systems, give me a shout if you need the BIOS.

Thanks, I would be really happy about this!!! I will let you know when I am ready to test...

Received my XT-Boards today. All was packed in a box without any protection (together with some harddisks and a complete 286-PC - photos later). Strange, all are missing the RAMs and several other components. I already picked one which seems to be complete except the RAM, populated with a 8088, CGA and Supersoft-ROM and it seems to be running (except the RAM of course...). I will keep only 1-2 of these boards...
So Cyrix200+, I would be very happy about a ROM-image. Think I need it to use the 8-bit IDE and floppy interface.

The attachment IMG_5333.JPG is no longer available
The attachment IMG_5334.JPG is no longer available
The attachment IMG_5336.JPG is no longer available
The attachment IMG_5337.JPG is no longer available

I have similar board from scrappers and this Philips P3120, in attachment bios.

PhlipsXT.JPG
Filename
PhlipsXT.JPG
File size
933.21 KiB
Views
File license
Filename
Philips_P3120.zip
File size
13.77 KiB
Downloads
89 downloads
File license

Reply 30658 of 53040, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SpectriaForce wrote:
FAMICOMASTER wrote:

That pc enclosure needs 'some' attention too 😉

That whole case is being tossed in favor of a more XT-like case anyways. This case copies the look of an AT, but I have one by PC Craft that copies the PC/XT look instead that I like better.

I bought the machine untested from a warehouse last year and it made some post beeps when I turned it on, but I didn't have a monitor for MDA/CGA/EGA, nor an 8-bit compatible VGA card...

Now I have a TVGA8900C and this MDA monitor to work with, so that's something.

Reply 30659 of 53040, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xjas wrote:

^^ that's a neat monitor, should look great when it's cleaned up. What color phosphor is it? Goes perfectly with the system too.

Lovely green phosphor. Seller had pictures of it working, too!

It definitely came out of an industrial setting, though. The phosphor is burned in some spots for sure and it's absolutely coated in oil and dust. A quick wipe down with wet paper towels and clorox wipes brought it back to reasonable shape.

That machine, a "Supercom Turbo Beltron" uses a DTK Turbo-640 motherboard. It was sold "as-is" untested from a recycling warehouse, and I paid almost nothing for it. Just so happened that it made post beeps when I flipped the switch. This is the only TTL monitor I own currently, so I'm hoping it can be made to work with this machine.

Also, the monitor is all clean now, but the power button does nothing. The monitor shows absolutely no signs of life, so I'm going to pop the cover on it tonight and see what's going on. It seems that moving the motherboard from the original case also killed it - It just makes one long beep now. How wonderful, two things to diagnose!
IMG_20191008_232535.jpg
MVIMG_20191008_203310.jpg

P.S. unrelated but my fully populated AST RAMpage PC came in the mail today, will post pics later