Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cyrix200+ wrote:
Enermax PSU (I think these are decent?) http://i.imgur.com/ZizdcZZl.jpg […]
Show full quote

Enermax PSU (I think these are decent?)
ZizdcZZl.jpg

Enermax supplies were generally complete although they weren't above some poor capacitor selections. Japanese caps weren't really a 'thing' at that point in time, nor was efficiency. I doubt it would matter with a supply of that age. Caps should be checked and replaced as necessary.

I should note that the ratings on the minor rails of this card make it a good candidate for use in a high powered Socket A build.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 321 of 4642, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got this from a pile of trash on the back of a truck which was emptying a garden down the road. It was a few weeks back now.

vlcsnap-2016-04-10-04h49m20s340.jpg

It seems to be a Socket A and came with a GeForce 4 MX440, a Modem and a PCI Ethernet card. It also came with free spiders;

vlcsnap-2016-04-10-04h50m59s772.jpg

I want to clean this up and try plugging it in, just to see if it will even start. It has obviously lived outside for a long time and appears it was set fire to at some stage too.

Edit: What the HELL is wrong with attachments today? Probably just my browser, given it keeps doing the random logout thing today as well. Thinking of moving back to FireFox as I don't like Chrome's HTML5 either, it is very lacking.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 322 of 4642, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HighTreason wrote:

I want to clean this up and try plugging it in, just to see if it will even start. It has obviously lived outside for a long time and appears it was set fire to at some stage too.

You'll forgive me if I don't hold my breath.

Also, you may need this:
artworks-000105402258-ppboxn-t500x500.jpg

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 324 of 4642, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is that a ceramic Pentium w/motherboard I spy as well in that trash pile?

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 325 of 4642, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In the image is my trashpile. I let the wrappers and bottles build up for a while in an attempt to make a point to somebody... Kind of regret it now because I don't think it worked and after three days of clearing them up it doesn't seem to be improving. The photo was actually from a few weeks ago so I'm not sure which board and what CPU that might be, most likely a slow 486 I used to test something or I might have been using a Socket 7 board as I think I was testing parts for my Pentium MMX rig around that time. The garbage pile actually ends there and a parts pile begins... Actually, where the trash pile is in the photo has since become a second parts pile. I ended up doing other things so the machine is actually up in my room now. I'll probably drag it out later today though as I've done all I can with the Pentium MMX and Pentium 60 for now.

Reply 326 of 4642, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Haha ah ok makes sense. I had this mental image of you walking up and taking pictures of the trash pile in the back of the guy's pickup and it worth a small laugh.

Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 327 of 4642, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nah, but they got rather confused about why I wanted to take trash from it. They didn't make a big deal out of it though and actually helped in getting it out of there.

Reply 328 of 4642, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The same kind of look when I told my friend I was interested in his shrink wrapped boxed gold top socket 4 Pentium I imagine 😁 (fingers crossed on getting that)

Reply 329 of 4642, by rick6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So i went to drop a few printers and small e-waste bits into the e-waste bin and found this:

IMG_20160410_233659_zpskentw0j5.jpg

IMG_20160410_233832_zpswbnk0lqj.jpg

IMG_20160410_233910_zpsg8m3clx4.jpg

Yes it has a broken touch glass, but the touch functionality works flawlessly, as it does the whole tablet! The old user left all it's data still inside...logins, fotos and videos which i promptly delete with a factory reset! Nice catch, and quite fixable (the touch glass is quite cheap on ebay)

My 2001 gaming beast in all it's "Pentium 4 Williamate" Glory!

Reply 330 of 4642, by stoof

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ahh, dumpster finds, somewhat of a favourite topic of mine. 😀
I've found a crapload of useful stuff through out the years, and although retro PC hardware is not as common anymore, I do still come by some.
Today I found this:

4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG

Along with some other stuff. I'm curious what kind of processor that is; mobile? It's soldered to the PCB "adapter" board, which has some jumpers labeled with multipliers. The socket says socket 3.
Anyone have anything to say about that graphics card? I've always wanted some VLB-stuff. 😀
It remains to be seen if they are working, but going by my previous luck, I'd be more surprised if they don't work than if they do.

On a related note, I too find it crazy how people throw away stuff. Here's just a short list of electronic goodies I've picked up the last few years:
- 40-inch Samsung full-HD flatscreen TV
- Complete Xbox 360, with games
- Complete Nintendo Wii
- Complete NES + 4 games (Castlevania!)
- Complete Apple G4 cube
- Samsung Galaxy SII
- Lenovo Thinkpad T410 (My current main computer... At the time I foud it, it could stll be bought new for ~1000 EUR)
- The camera I took the above pictures with, Canon IXUS 130.

All in nice and fully working condition (except the left speaker of the Thinkpad, which is dead). It's pretty sad what a wasteful society we live in. On the other hand, I haven't had to buy much of anything really, which is nice.

Reply 331 of 4642, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Isn't that CPU a Kingston Turbochip? Probably 486 TC5x86/133.

Either that, or it is another brand but at present I am too tired to remember who else did them. Maybe evergreen or PNY. Seems a few are mentioned here; http://www.cpushack.com/UpgradeProcessors.html

Reply 332 of 4642, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Love a bit of VLB. Can't comment on the S3 chipset... yet. Once I've got a stable VLB board myself I'll be able to benchmark and compare but if you search the forums for S3 805 VLB you'll get some info.

That CPU is intriguing. Is it a DLC or something? I reckon it's a quad package chip that's been mounted on a socket 3 PCB either way and there weren't many of those.

stoof wrote:

- Complete Apple G4 cube

WTF? I love love love that system. Bought one years ago when no one wanted them anymore fully boxed with the Studio Display and speakers but had to sell it when I had no space. 🙁 Lucky bugger!

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 333 of 4642, by stoof

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HighTreason wrote:

Isn't that CPU a Kingston Turbochip? Probably 486 TC5x86/133.

Either that, or it is another brand but at present I am too tired to remember who else did them. Maybe evergreen or PNY. Seems a few are mentioned here; http://www.cpushack.com/UpgradeProcessors.html

brassicGamer wrote:

That CPU is intriguing. Is it a DLC or something? I reckon it's a quad package chip that's been mounted on a socket 3 PCB either way and there weren't many of those.

With the help the link, I found out that it's an Evergreen Technologies AMD DX5-133 (586) upgrade. Neat!

51y3fiUAblL._SY300_.jpg

brassicGamer wrote:
stoof wrote:

- Complete Apple G4 cube

WTF? I love love love that system. Bought one years ago when no one wanted them anymore fully boxed with the Studio Display and speakers but had to sell it when I had no space. 🙁 Lucky bugger!

Yeah, it's really cool. I beat myself up a little regarding this find, because I only took the computer itself and the wonky PSU. I left the super duper sweet matching CRT (the Studio Display was LCD, no?) and the harman kardon speakers. Space constraints was the problem for me too. I kinda regretted it a couple of days later, but then I found the monitor glass down on the concrete floor all banged up. 😢
Anyway, I didn't have the space, and I still don't have the space, haha...

Reply 334 of 4642, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I noticed that CPU says "Copyright 1998" on it. Even if it were post-dated, that's still pretty late for a Socket 3 chip.

Reply 335 of 4642, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Intel seem to have produced some of their own 486 models as late as 2007, some places even still claim to sell them and have them in stock new (at a stupid price), usually seem to be DX4's but I think the single clocked ones hung around for a while too.

I have no idea how long AMD made theirs or how long companies like ST, Ti and IBM built their Cyrix chips in that factor - ST used the core in the STPC / Client / PCI / Atlas chips as late as 2009, but these were BGA SOC's.

Reply 336 of 4642, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Almost dumpster find coz friend of mine was just about to trash it but call me and ask if i need anything,and so i take it all 😊
ik this forum likes pics,here ya go
Case is common Microlab,not interesting here insides:

dLBj4cul.jpg eny6JZwl.jpg

2Ghz Celeron

Palit GF4 MX440 and Acorp L100S nic no ram no hdd again

Pretty ̶f̶r̶e̶a̶k̶y̶ early 478 board Acorp 4PE800 (845PE) look at back i/o and agp holder,but anyway nice to have universal agp mobo(my last one was some of 462 epox i think)

f8UQGPsl.jpg Nup4Pgul.jpg

Creative SB Live 5.1 Digital (SB0220)

QoS2RcHl.jpg

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 337 of 4642, by mmx_91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rein_ein wrote:

Pretty ̶f̶r̶e̶a̶k̶y̶ early 478 board Acorp 4PE800 (845PE) look at back i/o and agp holder,but anyway nice to have universal agp mobo(my last one was some of 462 epox i think)

AFAIK, Pentium 4 chipstes made by Intel don't support 3.3V AGP cards, and 845PE is no exception, according to its datasheet 😢 :

Intel datasheet wrote:
AGP Interface (Intel® 82845GE and 82845PE) A single AGP or PCI-66 component or connector (not both) is supported by the (G)MCH’s […]
Show full quote

AGP Interface (Intel® 82845GE and 82845PE)
A single AGP or PCI-66 component or connector (not both) is supported by the (G)MCH’s AGP
interface. Support for a single PCI-66 device is limited to the subset supported by the
Accelerated
Graphics Port Interface Specification, Revision 2.0
. The AGP/PCI_B buffers operate only in 1.5 V
mode and support the AGP 1.5 V Connector.

Reply 338 of 4642, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mmx_91 wrote:
rein_ein wrote:

AFAIK, Pentium 4 chipstes made by Intel don't support 3.3V AGP cards, and 845PE is no exception, according to its datasheet 😢 :

Intel datasheet wrote:
AGP Interface (Intel® 82845GE and 82845PE) A single AGP or PCI-66 component or connector (not both) is supported by the (G)MCH’s […]
Show full quote

AGP Interface (Intel® 82845GE and 82845PE)
A single AGP or PCI-66 component or connector (not both) is supported by the (G)MCH’s AGP
interface. Support for a single PCI-66 device is limited to the subset supported by the
Accelerated
Graphics Port Interface Specification, Revision 2.0
. The AGP/PCI_B buffers operate only in 1.5 V
mode and support the AGP 1.5 V Connector.

Sad but useful info,then i just pull it in storage for backup.

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 339 of 4642, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Picked up one of these for free that was heading to the dumpster http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16817111012 mines the older version that does not look all modern and fancy however.