VOGONS

Reply 320 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-22, 23:31:

Are you interested in newer hardware, too? I have some HP servers here, too. I booted my HP DL585 G7 with moderen CPUs (released end of 2012 😁)

Thank you for checking SIV out on the HP DL585 G7 and I am always interested to know how SIV get's on with multi-socket systems as they highlight issues that single socket ones don't, further if SIV "gets it wrong" then I like to know so I can fix it. I also suspect Martin would like to know how HWiNFO64 does on the G7.

I think all the issues stem from SIV setting up cpu->m_core (maximum cores) rather than cpu->e_core (enabled cores) , if you look at the APICs these are strange for CPU-16, CPU-24, etc.. This caused SIV to get the wrong number of boost states, 7 rather than 2 for CPUs 32->63, see Menu->Hardware->CPUID->CPUs 32->63->CPU-32. Further the temperatures are missing for CPU-32, 40, 48 and 56.

Please try the attached SIV64X 5.47 Core-01 and post the new save files. If things are still strange do SIV64X -DBGCPU -EXIT=12 > SIV_DBGOUT.log | MORE and also post the .log file.

When it's there I also like such as C:\Program Files\SIV64X\SIV_HP_DL585_G7.dmi which contains the raw data that is reported on the [Machine] panel as SIV runs better in test mode when I have it.

I noticed SIV was unable to report the DIMM SPD information and guess there must be an SPD multiplexor. Do any 3rd party utilities report this and if so which ones?

Last edited by red-ray on 2020-02-23, 13:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 321 of 1037, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote on 2020-02-23, 09:37:
Thank you for checking SIV out on the HP DL585 G7 and I am always interested to know how SIV get's on with multi-socket systems […]
Show full quote
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-22, 23:31:

Are you interested in newer hardware, too? I have some HP servers here, too. I booted my HP DL585 G7 with moderen CPUs (released end of 2012 😁)

Thank you for checking SIV out on the HP DL585 G7 and I am always interested to know how SIV get's on with multi-socket systems as they highlight issues that single socket ones don't, further if SIV "gets it wrong" then I like to know so I can fix it. I also suspect Martin would like to know how HWiNFO64 does on the G7.

I think all the issues stem from SIV setting up cpu->m_core (maximum cores) rather than cpu->e_core (enabled cores) , if you look at the APICs these are strange for CPU-16, CPU-24, etc.. This caused SIV to get the wrong number of boost states, 7 rather than 2 for CPUs 32->63, see Menu->Hardware->CPUID->CPUs 32->63->CPU-32. Further the temperatures are missing for CPU-32, 40, 48 and 56.

Please try the attached SIV64X 5.47 Core-01 and post the new save files. If things are still strange do SIV64X -DBGCPU -EXIT=12 > SIV_DBGOUT.log | MORE and also post the .log file.

When it's there I also like such as C:\Program Files\SIV64X\SIV_HP_DL585_G7.dmi which contains the raw data that is reported on the [Machine] panel as SIV runs better in test mode when I have it.

I noticed SIV was unable to report the DIMM SPD information and guess there must be an SPD multiplexor. Do any 3rd party utilities report this and if so which ones?

Yes, it does look already good.
Obviously when the machine is doing nothing, it is in constant "turbo" mode, so all cores show 3.2GHz, confirmed also by hwmonitor.

I will attach the dmi and the txt file (zipped).
No tool (at least I don't know one) can read out the DIMM SPD info on these servers.

The same is true for the harddisks / SSDs. They are hidden behind the hardware raid controllers, so windows only sees the logical drive(s).

Just a small cosmetical question about showing the DIMMs, like here 8GB + 8GB +8GB ..... + 8GB.
How will it look like when you have - for example + a machine with 64DIMMs and all 64 are equipped? This 585G7 only has 48 DIMM slots.

Attachments

• Filename
    SIV64X-dmi-txt.zip
    File size
    291.47 KiB
    Downloads
    43 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • siv-main.jpg
    Filename
    siv-main.jpg
    File size
    428.73 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 322 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

file.php?id=77520

CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-23, 12:51:

The same is true for the harddisks / SSDs. They are hidden behind the hardware raid controllers, so windows only sees the logical drive(s).

Thank you and all the fixes worked as I hoped they would, but I just spotted SIV is reporting it as having 8 cores with SMT rather than 16 cores! This is down to CPUID 8000001E incorrectly reporting Threads per Core 2🙁 The attached SIV64X 5.47 NoSMT-01 should compensate for this.

As for more DIMMs then see the attached and if HP would tell me how to drive the DL585 G7 SMBus mux I suspect SIV would be able to report the SPD.

Sometimes it possible to read the drives behind a RAID controller and SIV can do this for such as my Intel® X299 Chipset SATA RAID Controller, further SIV can even read my Intel® Volume Management Device NVMe RAID Controller NVMe drive information. One day SIV will report the HP Smart Array P410i Controller drives, but as yet I have not managed to make this work, see Menu->Devices->CSMI RAID

Attachments

• CPUs-224.png
    Filename
    CPUs-224.png
    File size
    375.76 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    System with 48 DIMMs
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by red-ray on 2020-02-23, 14:53. Edited 6 times in total.

Reply 323 of 1037, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote on 2020-02-23, 13:50:
Thank you and all the fixes worked as I hoped they would, but I just spotted SIV is reporting it as having 8 cores with SMT rath […]
Show full quote
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-23, 12:51:

Thank you and all the fixes worked as I hoped they would, but I just spotted SIV is reporting it as having 8 cores with SMT rather than 16 cores! This is down to CPUID 8000001E incorrectly reporting Threads per Core 2🙁 The attached SIV64X 5.47 NoSMT-01 should compensate for this.

As for more DIMMs then see the attached and if HP would tell me how to drive the DL585 G7 SMBus mux I suspect SIV would be able to report the SPD.

Sometimes it possible to read the drives behind a RAID controller and SIV can do this for such as my Intel® X299 Chipset SATA RAID Controller, further SIV can even read my Intel® Volume Management Device NVMe RAID Controller NVMe drive information. One day SIV will report the HP Smart Array P410i Controller drives, but as yet I have not managed to make this work, see Menu->Devices->CSMI RAID

I did not (yet) test your latest version.
But are you sure that you want to change it?

There was an ongoing discussion about the AMD bulldozer architecture, AMD call the FX processors with 4 module "8-core" cpu. It is somehow true, at least for integer performance, but still 1 module shares some resources of 2 cores.
So it's the same here: AMD 6386 CPU were called 16-core by AMD.

But not by Microsoft anymore, see windows screenshot of the task-manager.

dl585g7-taskman.jpg
Filename
dl585g7-taskman.jpg
File size
88.52 KiB
Views
File license

So when SIV reports 2 threads per core, it is inline with MS Windows Server 2012R2.

EDIT:
I am lost in your screenshot.
How many DIMMs are in that machine?
Where can I see it?
I was talking about number of DIMMs not number of cpus/cores.

EDIT one more time: You wrote it already 48 DIMMs.
There is written: 4x Sexa DIMMs (?)

Last edited by CoffeeOne on 2020-02-23, 14:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 324 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-23, 14:00:

I did not (yet) test your latest version. But are you sure that you want to change it?

But not by Microsoft anymore, see windows screenshot of the task-manager. So when SIV reports 2 threads per core, it is inline with MS Windows Server 2012R2.

Thank you, now I remember and don't wish to change it given what Windows reports. I also just checked https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opteron#Socket_G34 and SIV reporting Abu Dhabi is correct as is the L3 cache being 2 x 6MB.

I am wondering what other systems you have, do you have any with more than 64 CPUs and/or four sockets?

It had 48 DIMMs, but as they report their temperature SIV reports this rather than their size, same on my system.

file.php?id=77532

Attachments

• RED.png
    Filename
    RED.png
    File size
    124.53 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    DIMM Temperatures being reported
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by red-ray on 2020-02-23, 14:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 325 of 1037, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote on 2020-02-23, 14:09:
Thank you, now I remember and don't wish to change it given what Windows reports. […]
Show full quote

I did not (yet) test your latest version. But are you sure that you want to change it?

But not by Microsoft anymore, see windows screenshot of the task-manager. So when SIV reports 2 threads per core, it is inline with MS Windows Server 2012R2.

Thank you, now I remember and don't wish to change it given what Windows reports.

I am wondering what other systems you have, do you have any with more than 64 CPUs and/or four sockets?

It had 48 DIMMs, but as they report their temperature SIV reports this rather than their size, same on my system.

file.php?id=77532

Ah I see, the 2 lines with the temperatures (48 in total) represent the number of DIMMs. OK, that was confusing to me.

Unfortunately I never managed to get an 8-socket machine, I have 3 more 4 socket ones: 2 time HP DL585 G5 (with CPUs, RAM and Raid controllers changed, so they are identical to HP DL585 G6)
and one HP DL580 G7 (with 64DIMMs) 😉

Reply 326 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-23, 14:29:

HP DL580 G7 (with 64DIMMs) 😉

This is of interest, but I suspect both Martin and I will need to improve our SPD reading code. I expect SIV will read the SPD for some, but not all of the DIMMs.

I have a very old (21-Sep-2012) partial SIV save file from a HP DL980 G7

Attachments

• HP DL980 G7.png
    Filename
    HP DL980 G7.png
    File size
    301.27 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    HP DL980 G7 with 8 x Intel Xeon MP X7560 (Beckton) and 128 DIMMs
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 327 of 1037, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote on 2020-02-23, 14:09:

Thank you, now I remember and don't wish to change it given what Windows reports. I also just checked https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opteron#Socket_G34 and SIV reporting Abu Dhabi is correct as is the L3 cache being 2 x 6MB.

Wait, that's wrong.
L3 is 2 x 8MB = 16 MB per CPU.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_A ... 22_(32_nm)

Where do you have that 2 x 6MB from?

EDIT: HWiNFO64 shows 12MB for L3 cache, too. It is still wrong 😀

Reply 328 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-23, 14:57:

Wait, that's wrong. L3 is 2 x 8MB = 16 MB per CPU.

I suspect HWiNFO does not check the CPUID 8000001D data and I also think it has the wrong codename.

In the link it also says Abu Dhabi models have 16 MB of L3 cache (2x8 MB) but only 14 MB is visible with the HT Assist feature activated using 2 MB as a directory cache

The 12MB comes from CPUID 80000006 and the 2 x 6MB from CPUID 8000001D L3 Unified. The Share 8 means it's shared with 8 CPUs, so there is 2 x 6 MB per socket.

file.php?id=77537

Attachments

Reply 329 of 1037, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote on 2020-02-23, 15:05:
I suspect HWiNFO does not check the CPUID 8000001D data and I also think it has the wrong codename. […]
Show full quote
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-23, 14:57:

Wait, that's wrong. L3 is 2 x 8MB = 16 MB per CPU.

I suspect HWiNFO does not check the CPUID 8000001D data and I also think it has the wrong codename.

In the link it also says Abu Dhabi models have 16 MB of L3 cache (2x8 MB) but only 14 MB is visible with the HT Assist feature activated using 2 MB as a directory cache

The 12MB comes from CPUID 80000006 and the 2 x 6MB from CPUID 8000001D L3 Unified. The Share 8 means it's shared with 8 CPUs, so there is 2 x 6 MB per socket.

file.php?id=77537

Ah yes, there is HT assist. I was just thinking about BIOS that reports 16MB for both L2 and L3. But 12MB is probably right, also windows display 48MB L3 for all 4 cpus. Bios reports the higher number that it looks nicer, so I take it back 😁

Reply 330 of 1037, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK,

I run the same version of SIV also on the HP DL580 G7

siv-580g7.jpg
Filename
siv-580g7.jpg
File size
438.8 KiB
Views
File license

Unfortunately running File Save Local crashed the remote desktop connection, I guess the machine crashed. I have to connect a monitor to the machine.

Reply 331 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-23, 15:40:

Unfortunately running File Save Local crashed the remote desktop connection, I guess the machine crashed. I have to connect a monitor to the machine.

Thank you for trying SIV and apologies for it causing issues, which section was it processing when the issue happened?

If you do Menu->Tools->Maximum Lines->Set 58 Lines I suspect SIV will only use 3 columns.

SIV looks to have read half the SPD, but the temperatures seem too low, once I get a save file I will be able to tell more.

Reply 332 of 1037, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows crashes in the section [smb-bus] of File -> Save Local.
No blue screen, but display goes off, and machine does not react anymore to key-presses. So only power off (or holding powerswitch for 4 seconds) helps.
🙁

Reply 333 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-23, 16:20:

Thank you, I see this once in a while and expect there is a strange SMBus device that I need to get SIV to skip.

To find what it is do siv64x -dbgsmb -save=[smb-bus]=SIV_DBGOUT.txt > SIV_DBGOUT.log | more and post the two SIV_DBGOUT files.

Once I get these I will get SIV to always skip that device on HP DL580 G7s.

Note when you do the above I expect the system will lock up again, but this time we should know how to stop it.

Reply 334 of 1037, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote on 2020-02-23, 15:56:
Thank you for trying SIV and apologies for it causing issues, which section was it processing when the issue happened? […]
Show full quote
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-23, 15:40:

Thank you for trying SIV and apologies for it causing issues, which section was it processing when the issue happened?

If you do Menu->Tools->Maximum Lines->Set 58 Lines I suspect SIV will only use 3 columns.

SIV looks to have read half the SPD, but the temperatures seem too low, once I get a save file I will be able to tell more.

Hi, here is a Save-selected, with the following setting:

siv-580g7-save-local-setting.jpg
Filename
siv-580g7-save-local-setting.jpg
File size
261.03 KiB
Views
File license

In the zip-file, there is the dmi, the txt, and a dump from a crash before.

I just read your latest post, will do that, too.

Attachments

• Filename
    SIV64X-save-local.zip
    File size
    494.41 KiB
    Downloads
    43 downloads
    File license

Reply 335 of 1037, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote on 2020-02-23, 16:46:
Thank you, I see this once in a while and expect there is a strange SMBus device that I need to get SIV to skip. […]
Show full quote
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-23, 16:20:

Thank you, I see this once in a while and expect there is a strange SMBus device that I need to get SIV to skip.

To find what it is do siv64x -dbgsmb -save=[smb-bus]=SIV_DBGOUT.txt > SIV_DBGOUT.log | more and post the two SIV_DBGOUT files.

Once I get these I will get SIV to always skip that device on HP DL580 G7s.

Note when you do the above I expect the system will lock up again, but this time we should know how to stop it.

SIV64X - System Information Viewer V5.47 Core-01 WIN-AGPOMB377GN::Administrator Built Feb 23 2020 at 11:26:04 [1252] Command [siv64x -dbgsmb -save=[smb-bus]=SIV_DBGOUT.txt ] [[smb-bus]] [C:\Program Files\SIV64X(1)\siv_dbgout.txt]

[smb-bus] [hardware]

Output:

Filename
SIV_DBGOUT.log
File size
14.27 KiB
Downloads
43 downloads
File license

EDIT: Yes, the machine locked up again. Needs a very long time to reboot unfortunately, it's not like a normal PC

EDIT2:

The program terminated (but no windows lock-up) also when I un-selected only [smb-bus] from save local.
So for the save-local I unselected all 3 smb entries (see above)

Reply 336 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-23, 17:08:

The program terminated (but no windows lock-up) also when I un-selected only [smb-bus] from save local.

Which section was being processed when SIV64X.exe crashed out?

It looks to be device [ 1_69 ] that triggered the lockup and the attached SIV64X 5.47 DL580-01 should skip it. I feel it's a good idea to do siv64x -dbgsmb -save=[smb-bus]=SIV_DBGOUT.txt > SIV_DBGOUT.log | more again in case there is a 2nd rouge device. If that runs OK then please go for the full Save Local.

Looking at the save file SIV did quite well as it read 32 lots of SPD data and the 4 Xeon PIRs via the systems 5 SMBuses, it has 1 x PCH + 4 x IMC. Once we get [SMB Bus] working it will be interesting to see if there are any SMBus multiplexors.

Last edited by red-ray on 2020-02-24, 09:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 337 of 1037, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote on 2020-02-23, 17:46:

It looks to be device [ 1_69 ] that triggered the lockup and the attached SIV64X 5.47 DL580-01 should skip it. I feel it's a good idea to do siv64x -dbgsmb -save=[smb-bus]=SIV_DBGOUT.txt > SIV_DBGOUT.log | more again in case there is a 2nd rouge device. If that runs OK then please go for the full Save Local.

Looking at the save file SIV did quite well as it read 32 lots of SPD data and the 4 Xeon PIRs via the systems 5 SMBuses, it has 1 x PCH + 4 x IMC. Once we get [SMB Bus] working it will be interesting to see if there are any SMBus multiplexors.

The first step went well ....

But save local still crashed windows in smb-bus section ....

I reboot the machine one more (the last for today) time in order to send you something

Reply 338 of 1037, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, looked at the monitor in the basement: Machine rebooted, "Uncorrectable Memory Error in Board 4".
Did SIV really find a hardware problem on the machine?
Never have seen that before though.

Reply 339 of 1037, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote on 2020-02-23, 17:46:
Which section was being processed when SIV64X.exe crashed out? […]
Show full quote
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-23, 17:08:

I attach a zip file with siv_dbgout.txt, the txt and the dmi file

Attachments

• Filename
    SIV64X-dbout-dmi-txt.zip
    File size
    167.35 KiB
    Downloads
    39 downloads
    File license