VOGONS

HWiNFO for DOS resurrected !

Topic actions

Reply 320 of 884, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Vogons must have resized it due to the odd dimensions. I can view the jpeg file fine on my end. Here's it archived.

Attachments

• Filename
    Debug.rar
    File size
    69.06 KiB
    Downloads
    62 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 321 of 884, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, that's perfect now. And just another case where documentation doesn't reflect reality.
Please try this build: [build pulled, newer available]

Last edited by Mumak on 2020-04-21, 09:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 322 of 884, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Still shows the Creative Sound Blaster. Not sure if you added the FPU speed script, but I don't see any speed.

Here's the report file.

I'm getting some rest now.

Attachments

• Filename
    hwinfo.rar
    File size
    2.81 KiB
    Downloads
    41 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 326 of 884, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here a new build:
- Additional fix for some ESS sound cards detection
- Added reporting of FPU clock. This is reported for discrete FPUs only, doesn't make any sense to measure it for integrated ones. Might require some additional tuning for some FPUs as this has been forgotten for many years 😁
[build pulled, newer available]

Last edited by Mumak on 2020-04-21, 09:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 327 of 884, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Attached is the report file. Observations:

1) ULSI speed measured at 62.3 MHz. Almost there!

2) Nothing is listed under ISA and other devices

3) Under Peripherals Information, Sound Card is listed as an ESS ES1818 AudioDrive. Not quite there, but better than a Creative card.

Attachments

• Filename
    HWINFO.LOG
    File size
    119.51 KiB
    Downloads
    43 downloads
    File license

Reply 328 of 884, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks! Let me check if I can improve the FPU clock, this measurement is not quite accurate. Do you maybe have its datasheet?

I've got also some good news - I have finally managed to get support of PnP cards without PnP BIOS support working ! This means, it should be now possible to detect any ISA/PnP cards regardless of BIOS support. I'm not sure however if this method won't cause issues on some systems. I have tested this on my Non-PnP system with SB32 PnP AWE and it works great. The only difference is that resources of such cards w/o BIOS support won't be configured unless you load the respective driver. As I don't think HWiNFO should be configuring any resources, I will leave this to particular tools as this also requires resolving potential conflicts. That means that for example for a system like I described, the card will be detected and completely enumerated, but under the Peripherals tab no further Sound Blaster details will be shown. This is because unless the resources are configured and the logical device activated, it doesn't appear on ISA bus.
I'm currently doing some final checks and will post a new build in a few minutes.

Reply 329 of 884, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Unfortunately, I don't have the ULSI datasheet, but I also don't think I've ever looked for it.

Good news for Non-PnP systems. I doubt most people will be loading any drivers before running HWiNFO due to memory requirements. I suspect many people will do what I'm doing and put HWiNFO on a relatively feature-limited DOS boot diskette which just loads HIMEM.

Reply 330 of 884, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, so here a new build with:
- PnP card info regardless of BIOS PnP support. PnP cards will always be shown under the Bus section as ISA/PnP.
- Updated clock measuring for ULSI FPU
- Attempt to fix the ES18xx card name

Last edited by Mumak on 2020-05-06, 14:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 332 of 884, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, the FPU speed showed no improvement, but the ESS ES1868 now shows up under ISA Info - PnP Devices and under Peripherals Information. IRQ 5 still shows up as free though (sound driver is loaded). report attached.

Attachments

• Filename
    HWINFO.LOG
    File size
    152.99 KiB
    Downloads
    47 downloads
    File license

Reply 333 of 884, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This should fix the FPU clock. But since I was unable to find the datasheet the clock is not certain...
The ESS card doesn't list IRQ configured/active via PnP. Did the driver properly set it up?

Last edited by Mumak on 2020-05-06, 14:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 334 of 884, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's the same file I load normally when booting to MS-DOS from the hard drive. I tested it to see if I can play sound and it works, so it must be using IRQ 5. The ethernet card shows up on IRQ 10 though, which is good news.

ULSI shows 65.9 MHz. Almost there.

Report file attached.

Attachments

• Filename
    HWINFO.LOG
    File size
    186.47 KiB
    Downloads
    37 downloads
    File license

Reply 335 of 884, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, but 3Com says:

║ Device ID:                TCM5095                                        ║
║ IRQ select 0: 10 ║
║ I/O port: 300 ║

And the ESS lists only I/O as active:

║ Device ID:                ESS1868                                        ║
║ I/O port: 620 ║

I don't think there's more I can do with this board for now...
I will slightly adjust the FPU clock to match better, but I'm quite confident this will be OK, so no further tests needed for this.

Reply 336 of 884, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm... Hopefully in time the answer will come! Guess we are done with the SXL systems for now. I'm going to work on my Dell Precision Workstation 410 now, then hopefully tomorrow get back to the 386 on my testbed. CPU-Z wants DRx2 and IBM DLC3 chips tested, so I'll do the same for HWiNFO.

Reply 337 of 884, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for all your help!
DRx2 and IBM DLC3 will be very interesting for me too 😀
I'm going now to switch (back) to Sapphire Rapids and finish reading the new 6k pages document 😁

Last edited by Mumak on 2020-04-21, 10:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 339 of 884, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, that is.. Old HW was relatively simple, even though the detection is sometimes crazy or not possible at all and one needs to use several tricks.. But latest that's a different story.. Only one volume of the SPR document is 6k pages... That would never fit into a DOS app 😁