VOGONS

Reply 340 of 426, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
LunarG wrote on 2021-04-25, 12:48:
brostenen wrote on 2021-04-25, 08:08:
Another factor is that the bosses at Commodore did not really understand, that 10 years ahead, means that you need something new […]
Show full quote
Warlord wrote on 2021-04-25, 02:13:

It's usually not about trying to compete with open standards. In Amigas case we'll give them the benefit of a doubt its becasue they couldn't just use open source hardware and the only solution was to build something from scratch. These days if you did these kinds of things you would be Apple and in that case its about trying to lock competitors out of their platforms and lock end users into your support chain and your products only. I doubt anything Amiga at the time was doing was this dubious. They simply needed something that worked with heir design and nothing was available. At the time Amiga was really hey lets build a next gen arcade machine in a computer and since its a computer it can be way more than that.

Superior buses aside, with open standards at the time you wouldn't just program games and software that would only take advantage of the best hardware at the time, you would make it run on anything, which is one of the reasons PCs were so far behind amigas, by the time open hardware had surpassed Amiga and general standards got a lot better Amiga would of needed to either embrace newer standards or do complete redesign to keep up. This is the problem with closed standards.

For Amiga to survive it really wasn't about eisa as much as they needed a way of running X86 which amigas didn't do.

Another factor is that the bosses at Commodore did not really understand, that 10 years ahead, means that you need something new that are 10 years ahead once competition catches up. Else consumers will feel let down when it does not happen again.

They had plenty of time, and they wasted it on what? A few stop gaps here and there. And the engineers and hardware devellopers at Commodore knew this and yet the bosses canned project right and left.

I see Doom and other first gen FPS, as the definitive nail in the coffin. At least we got some nice hardware.

One of the problems Commodore had, was that the bosses wanted a repeat of the C64 success. A cheap, simple system that sold like bottled water in the Sahara. The folks who actually designed the Amiga wanted to make a serious computer. If, when after the Amiga was released, the engineers had been given the opportunity to focus on developing serious computers, i.e. improve the custom chipset, design future architecture etc, then it's very likely that they could have challenged IBMs reign. However, the bosses spread their resources too thin and work on too many projects. Flops such as the CDTV were among the few that actually hit the market, and it drained the company of resources.
A Commodore that had focused all their efforts on making the Amiga a successful workstation computer would have been much more competitive, despite the success of the A500 etc. Neither the ECS or AGA were anything near what the engineers had originally planned to/wanted to make.

True.... The engineers at Commodore had so many plans, however they were dictated by a bunch of bosses and board members that knew nothing and saw Commodore as their personal piggy bank as well. That is why we never saw stuff like AAA, machines like NYX and so on. Like they started to plan AAA back in 1988, and if they had focused on that instead of projects like CDTV, C64gs and a600, then they might have sold AAA systems around 1990. If that was the case, then theoretically we would have had Hombre by 1994/96'ish. But in usual Commodore fascion and ways, engineering and devellopment were downsized. There are so many stories, that people in the management up at the top, suddenly realised that they needed something. Then they would see if the engineers had anything that could be sold as something exciting. Those at the top did not know anything, and when they finally had ideas on their own, then it was so disconnected from what users wanted, that it just failed commercially. CDTV, C64gs, Amiga500+ and Amiga600 are stuff that just failed. Another example is the A570 drive. Like WTF? Dicontinuing the Amiga500, replacing it with the Amiga600 and then push a CD drive for Amiga500 at the same time as CDTV fails? What gives?

If Commodore had listened more close to what customers and their engineers wanted. Then they would have survived longer. Eventually they would fail, unless they had moved into x86 territory fully and sold Win9x machines instead. Custom chips, the Amiga way, are just not suited for todays computing landscape. I mean. You just do not see any such in the x1000 and x5000 boards as well.

EDIT:
And what braino came up with the idea of wasting resources on a new 8bit machine, meant to be sold and made money from, back in 1990/91. Like.... 1990/91? That was a stupid thing to waste money on. On the flip side, we now have that MEGA65 machine because of somebody's stupid ressource draining idea back then. So in terms of vintage computing today, it was a nice machine. However in terms of Commodores survuval, then it was really stupid. Clearly they did not learn from sales figures of the C128.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 341 of 426, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote on 2021-04-27, 06:53:

But in usual Commodore fascion and ways, engineering and devellopment were downsized. There are so many stories, that people in the management up at the top, suddenly realised that they needed something. Then they would see if the engineers had anything that could be sold as something exciting. Those at the top did not know anything, and when they finally had ideas on their own, then it was so disconnected from what users wanted, that it just failed commercially. CDTV, C64gs, Amiga500+ and Amiga600 are stuff that just failed. Another example is the A570 drive. Like WTF?

It's the story of most large organisations - ultimately the senior management lose touch with their customers and start making decisions in isolation that, to most people who are dealing with their customers on a day-to-day basis, make no sense what so ever. I'm currently going through this very thing with my current employer (a large UK university).

Dicontinuing the Amiga500, replacing it with the Amiga600 and then push a CD drive for Amiga500 at the same time as CDTV fails? What gives?

My guess, not knowing much about the CDTV (I had started to transition to the PC by then), is that they probably had a large stock of drive components that they realised were going to go unsold, and the A570 drive was an attempt to liquidate some of that excess inventory.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 342 of 426, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
True.... The engineers at Commodore had so many plans, however they were dictated by a bunch of bosses and board members that kn […]
Show full quote

True.... The engineers at Commodore had so many plans, however they were dictated by a bunch of bosses and board members that knew nothing and saw Commodore as their personal piggy bank as well. That is why we never saw stuff like AAA, machines like NYX and so on. Like they started to plan AAA back in 1988, and if they had focused on that instead of projects like CDTV, C64gs and a600, then they might have sold AAA systems around 1990. If that was the case, then theoretically we would have had Hombre by 1994/96'ish. But in usual Commodore fascion and ways, engineering and devellopment were downsized. There are so many stories, that people in the management up at the top, suddenly realised that they needed something. Then they would see if the engineers had anything that could be sold as something exciting. Those at the top did not know anything, and when they finally had ideas on their own, then it was so disconnected from what users wanted, that it just failed commercially. CDTV, C64gs, Amiga500+ and Amiga600 are stuff that just failed. Another example is the A570 drive. Like WTF? Dicontinuing the Amiga500, replacing it with the Amiga600 and then push a CD drive for Amiga500 at the same time as CDTV fails? What gives?

If Commodore had listened more close to what customers and their engineers wanted. Then they would have survived longer. Eventually they would fail, unless they had moved into x86 territory fully and sold Win9x machines instead. Custom chips, the Amiga way, are just not suited for todays computing landscape. I mean. You just do not see any such in the x1000 and x5000 boards as well.

EDIT:
And what braino came up with the idea of wasting resources on a new 8bit machine, meant to be sold and made money from, back in 1990/91. Like.... 1990/91? That was a stupid thing to waste money on. On the flip side, we now have that MEGA65 machine because of somebody's stupid ressource draining idea back then. So in terms of vintage computing today, it was a nice machine. However in terms of Commodores survuval, then it was really stupid. Clearly they did not learn from sales figures of the C128.

Commodore had a history for being out of touch, making stupid decisions & wasting money, even during their heyday. The Plus/4 & C16 range of computers being another good example of this, a total misfire on all fronts with no real identity or reason for existing. They never did learn, as you say regarding the C128 also.

At a time when they should have been trying to be more competitive & innovative to go up against the rapidly evolving PC compatibles, they wasted time & resources repackaging what was essentially 5-7 year old technology in the form of the A600 & CDTV.

There can really be only 1 answer to all of this stupidity - they did everything on the cheap. It would have killed them off in the end anyway.

Reply 343 of 426, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PTherapist wrote on 2021-04-27, 09:51:
Commodore had a history for being out of touch, making stupid decisions & wasting money, even during their heyday. The Plus/4 & […]
Show full quote
True.... The engineers at Commodore had so many plans, however they were dictated by a bunch of bosses and board members that kn […]
Show full quote

EDIT:

Commodore had a history for being out of touch, making stupid decisions & wasting money, even during their heyday. The Plus/4 & C16 range of computers being another good example of this, a total misfire on all fronts with no real identity or reason for existing. They never did learn, as you say regarding the C128 also.

At a time when they should have been trying to be more competitive & innovative to go up against the rapidly evolving PC compatibles, they wasted time & resources repackaging what was essentially 5-7 year old technology in the form of the A600 & CDTV.

There can really be only 1 answer to all of this stupidity - they did everything on the cheap. It would have killed them off in the end anyway.

"Commodore had a history for being out of touch, making stupid decisions & wasting money"

Reminds me of 90's Apple Computer.
Makes me wonder why they didn't make a joint venture, or how it's being called.

Two semi broken companies could have done much more creative harm to the world. 😉
Like for example, selling Macintosh package that ships with a Commodore-licensed C64/Amiga emulator.

I mean, it's not that far fetched - Apple sold a "PC-compatible" at the time, still had engineers and worked
with IBM on the PowerPC platform - the spiritual successor of the Motorola 68000 series (Amiga's CPU).

Anyways, I'm afraid I'm going slightly off-topic. 😅

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 344 of 426, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2021-04-27, 10:39:

Apple sold a "PC-compatible" at the time

What do you mean?
As far as I know, there was no Apple machines based on x86 until 2006.
Perhaps some PC emulation cards?

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 345 of 426, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Amiga failed because nothing at that time could compete with the amount of hardware and software that was being developed for the IBM PC line. The economy of scale crushed everybody and it is also the reason the x86/x64 got bogged down having to be compatible with all the old software and hardware.

The C64 was lucky in being a good gaming system that had other uses and was CHEAP. I bet most C64's were sold around the time that the system was obsolete because of the massive software library and the cheapness compared to any other system. I have a C128 and think it was a decent system for its time and probably sold well all things considered.

Amiga was a one trick pony with custom chip tied to NTSC video. Once people needed higher resolution the whole system fell apart. The original A1000 was pretty much as useless as the original mac because of low memory for a GUI based system. The highest selling unit is most likely the A500 which is a gaming system for the most part.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 346 of 426, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Our ones work with PAL.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 347 of 426, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unknown_K wrote on 2021-04-27, 13:47:

The Amiga failed because nothing at that time could compete with the amount of hardware and software that was being developed for the IBM PC line. The economy of scale crushed everybody

Macintosh survived by appealing to a small but wealthy demographic of consumers - journalists, writers, creative professionals, etc.

If Amiga was going to survive it had to find a similar niche.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 348 of 426, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Errius wrote on 2021-04-27, 19:06:

The Amiga failed because nothing at that time could compete with the amount of hardware and software that was being developed for the IBM PC line. The economy of scale crushed everybody

Macintosh survived by appealing to a small but wealthy demographic of consumers - journalists, writers, creative professionals, etc.

Macintosh survived because of an influx of cash from Microsoft.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 349 of 426, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Grzyb wrote on 2021-04-27, 12:38:
What do you mean? As far as I know, there was no Apple machines based on x86 until 2006. Perhaps some PC emulation cards? […]
Show full quote

What do you mean?

Apple PowerMac 6100 Dos Compatible

Reply 350 of 426, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-04-27, 19:34:
Errius wrote on 2021-04-27, 19:06:

Macintosh survived because of an influx of cash from Microsoft.

Some 150 million US Dollars I believe.... Plus the return of Jobs, because Apple was making bad business mistakes. It sure looked bad by 1996.

Reply 351 of 426, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
What do you mean? As far as I know, there was no Apple machines based on x86 until 2006. Perhaps some PC emulation cards? […]
Show full quote

What do you mean?

I meant this one (and its successors)..:

http://www.applefool.com/applefool/Quadra_610 … patible%29.html

But yeah, "PC-compatible" wasn't right. These were “DOS Compatible” models. 😉

Edit: brostenen was quicker, just noticed.. 😅

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 352 of 426, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jo22 wrote on 2021-04-27, 20:25:
I meant this one (and its successors)..: […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

What do you mean?

I meant this one (and its successors)..:

http://www.applefool.com/applefool/Quadra_610 … patible%29.html

But yeah, "PC-compatible" wasn't right. These were “DOS Compatible” models. 😉

Edit: brostenen was quicker, just noticed.. 😅

The 6100 Dos Compatible, were the only Mac that I have ever wanted from new. Slick slimline design, and option to run WordPerfect 5,1 as back then I did not care for any Microsoft Windows or any MS Office suite. I just wanted something that was able to do Dos stuff and then have that awesomme combination of both worlds. I just setteled on a Cyrix 486 SLC2 50 machine instead.

Speaking of these tech's....
Then there were Mac bridge boards for Amiga2000. And we all know PC-Bridgeboards for Amiga. How cool would it not have been, to own an Amiga2000 with both PC and Mac bridge boards?!? I mean. That would be awesomme back then.

Reply 353 of 426, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to post, but there's a recent article on hackaday.com about the Amigas at NASA.
I think we discussed this in this thread years before, also. That's why I decided to mention it here.

https://hackaday.com/2021/08/16/retrotechtacu … puting-at-nasa/

//My video channel//

Reply 354 of 426, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am not sure it is popular with the "retro community". It is popular with the Amiga community, that largely consists of people from the original Amiga community in the 80s and 90s who have grown up. I think most people who develop a new interest in retro gaming today are far more likely to just focus on console or DOS gaming.

Reply 355 of 426, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No, there's definitely an interest in the amiga in the retro community... at least in the circle i'm part of. There's a newfound guilty pleasure of all those 'up to jump' phoned-in licensed europlatformer games that have inappropriately hot jams (for example).

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 356 of 426, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote on 2021-08-18, 20:40:

No, there's definitely an interest in the amiga in the retro community... at least in the circle i'm part of. There's a newfound guilty pleasure of all those 'up to jump' phoned-in licensed europlatformer games that have inappropriately hot jams (for example).

Not to restate the obvious but Amiga has a much stronger Euro zone support, the US C64 fans are just along for the ride

Commodores primary problem was lack of a business plan, they just made $h/t without any purpose or expansion on their ecosystem and existing architectural IP.

If they would have learned that all new hardware has to be software compatible with one another evolving upwards like a Pc and not trying to sell horizontally similar incompatible systems they may have been able to survive long enough to spin off Commodore Europe with some fab and assembly assets and survived to this day in some form.

This mistake is similar to Apples desire to artificially kill the Apple 2 line instead of letting it evolve, worse it only takes $5 of components and minor developmental changes for the Mac to have been compatible with Apple2 hardware and software, if they would have evolved and maintained existing ecosystems in a uniform way letting their best hardware win they likely too would have been in better shape in the 90’s with a larger unified user base. Many Apple 2 users never touched or owned a Mac meaning Apple alienated most of their fanbase.

Worth noting MOS Had licenses to use Intel IPs and could have made system on a chip style amigas with both 6502/x86 in a single package for “hardware “ “”emulation “” (that really wouldn’t have been emulation at all) intentionally out of the box

Possibilities were endless in the 80’s for MOS but their potential was wasted very much like Atari’s multitude of systems nobody asked for

Reply 357 of 426, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The incompatibility of the Mac with the Apple II was deliberate policy not just carelessness. Apple were trying to break into the business market with the Mac, and the Apple II had a reputation as a school/kids computer. The more incompatible the better. Similarly, putting a monochrome monitor in the Mac was a deliberate attempt to make it look like a 'serious' computer, not some toy. People joke that gaming on Macs sucks. Well that's how Apple like it, same today as 40 years ago.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 358 of 426, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote on 2021-08-19, 01:03:

The incompatibility of the Mac with the Apple II was deliberate policy not just carelessness. Apple were trying to break into the business market with the Mac, and the Apple II had a reputation as a school/kids computer. The more incompatible the better. Similarly, putting a monochrome monitor in the Mac was a deliberate attempt to make it look like a 'serious' computer, not some toy. People joke that gaming on Macs sucks. Well that's how Apple like it, same today as 40 years ago.

That’s what I said

Deliberate carelessness is still failing to know your audience

The Mac could have been everything it was but failing to allow Apple 2 architectures evolve without restriction meant they gained a very small Mac market while loosing most of the Apple 2 market , appealing to business is great but failed in the long run financially and sales wise due to “failing on purpose “

Reply 359 of 426, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Errius wrote on 2021-08-19, 01:03:

But wasn't Steve Jobs also the culprit?
Didn't he initiate a fight between the Apple II and Macintosh developers at Apple?
From what I've seen in 'Pirates of Silicon Valley', Mr. Jobs wanted the Macintosh to replace the Apple II.

Also, wasn't the Commodore PET line also semi-successful?
I'm merely from Europe, but I've seen them in few US videos.
In the second ST movie, for example. 😉
Here's one from an university/club station, it rans a PET orbital tracking program on a C64.
https://wwe.youtube.com/watch?v=41y2ITIS8AE

Edit: Also, didn't Commodore sell to schools a modified C64 in a PET chassis with monochrome monitor?
That's what the PET 64 / Educator 64 (I, II) essentially was, wasn't it? 😉

//My video channel//