Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 3761 of 53188, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:
I took a risk on a zero feedback seller for this boxed NES, and for a while there it seemed like I’d been scammed – “I’m having […]
Show full quote

I took a risk on a zero feedback seller for this boxed NES, and for a while there it seemed like I’d been scammed – “I’m having trouble with my email”, “the lady at the post office got your post code wrong”, etc – but he eventually came through with the goods. I was pleasantly surprised when it arrived well packed and in excellent condition – it needed a good clean but somebody loved this thing, it’s perfect. It was doing the well known “no game inserted” flashing thing and generally failing to load, but it turned out to be the game cartridges that were dirty, not the connector. After I went at them with an eraser, and in one case sand paper, they’re all booting 100% every time.

I was a sega kid but owned an NES later, and a friend and I would ritualistically play Mario for hours while his poor girlfriend watched on. I lost that machine years ago, so I’m pumped to have one again after all these years. Mario, here I come:

DSCN0266_zps289337e4.jpg

Wow! Excellent catch!
Poor girl, did she ever join?

Got myself a great palmtop PC, hp 200LX! Great condition, MS-DOS compatible, CGA greyscale screen, fed by 2 AA batteries, 128MB CF card in PCMCIA slot!
Now I can take a retrocomputer whereever I go 😁

P1020962.JPG
P1020959.JPG
P1020965.JPG

The right side has 1 power header, 1 COM header, IR and backup battery under cover (removed):
P1020966.JPG

The left side has a single PCMCIA slot with 128 MB CF card in CF-PCMCIA adapter:
P1020969.JPG

Reply 3762 of 53188, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And here are more pictures of BTC-53 keyboard I mentionned earlier. It came to me all yellow and greasy yet in good shape. First of all, all the keycaps, the cable and the case had a 12-hour bath in dishwashing liquid. To make the keys whiter I bought a lot of hydroperoxide and bleach. 24 hours later, the keys were of light ivory color instead of browny orange. However, I could not do the same with the case, it would set me back a lot of money since I would have to get a bathful of hydroperoxide. I decided to paint the thing black, Spectrum style :Ъ. It's my first spray paint job, so it's not flawless, yet I'm happy with it.

The keyboard was manufactured on the 21 May 1991, which makes it 2 months older than me. This thing feels just HUGE! It's the same size as my Logitech Comfort K290, yet three or four times as thick. It's comfortable and well-built, has some weird layout with Macro key and messed up numbers. I thought it was mechanical at first, yet it is foam-and-foil type, more common I guess?

P1020956.JPG
P1020957.JPG
P1020958.JPG

Reply 3763 of 53188, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some pictures i have borrowed elsewhere, because of easy and fast posting.

I have got:

$T2eC16ZHJHoE9n3KfuB8BQdSweRtIw~~60_12.JPG
Creative CT7220 DVD/ MPEG decoder card DXR2.. (for cheap)

monster2.jpg
Diamond monster 3d II PCI 12MB (for cheap)

$_85.JPG
Holtek VLB i/o controller card VLB (for cheap)

$_85.JPG
VIRGE PCI graphics card (for cheap)

$_85.JPG
ASUS CUV4X S370 motherboard (for cheap)

$_85.JPG
ASUS CUV4X-E (got both cheap)

And i also got some free SD-RAM from the same seller..

On ebay i have won:

AMD 486 DX4 120 Mhz V8B (those are rare on ebay)

Last edited by Robin4 on 2014-04-28, 01:06. Edited 1 time in total.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 3764 of 53188, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RacoonRider wrote:

Poor girl, did she ever join?

Got myself a great palmtop PC, hp 200LX! Great condition, MS-DOS compatible, CGA greyscale screen, fed by 2 AA batteries, 128MB CF card in PCMCIA slot!
Now I can take a retrocomputer whereever I go 😁

No she never did - I have no idea why she kept agreeing to come with him. She married him eventually though, so maybe his mario skills were part of the attraction.

Nice palmtop!

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 3765 of 53188, by Tiremaster400

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RacoonRider wrote:

And here are more pictures of BTC-53 keyboard I mentionned earlier. It came to me all yellow and greasy yet in good shape. First of all, all the keycaps, the cable and the case had a 12-hour bath in dishwashing liquid. To make the keys whiter I bought a lot of hydroperoxide and bleach. 24 hours later, the keys were of light ivory color instead of browny orange. However, I could not do the same with the case, it would set me back a lot of money since I would have to get a bathful of hydroperoxide. I decided to paint the thing black, Spectrum style :Ъ. It's my first spray paint job, so it's not flawless, yet I'm happy with it.

The keyboard was manufactured on the 21 May 1991, which makes it 2 months older than me. This thing feels just HUGE! It's the same size as my Logitech Comfort K290, yet three or four times as thick. It's comfortable and well-built, has some weird layout with Macro key and messed up numbers. I thought it was mechanical at first, yet it is foam-and-foil type, more common I guess?

We still have our original BTC keyboards that came with our two Pionex 486 desktops. I also bought several spares in the early 2000s as I was still playing DOOM keyboard only. I couldn't stand the Win95 keyboards and the early AT keyboards had a space between the ALT and CTRL keys. The BTC keyboards can handle several key inputs at the same time, this means in DOOM holding down shift and ALT and CTRL and space for shooting, strafe-running, and opening doors and hitting switches. I found many other keyboards could not do this. Our original BTC's have the arrows worn off the keys and the space bars on both sag from heavy door opening and hasty switch hitting-but they still work!

Reply 3766 of 53188, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Voodoo 2 cards from Russia arrived today 😀

8XhnyAXh.jpg

XXL: http://i.imgur.com/8XhnyAX.jpg

Now I got to test them all and then I can slowly start with my Voodoo 2 + SLI scaling project.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3767 of 53188, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
The Voodoo 2 cards from Russia arrived today :happy: […]
Show full quote

The Voodoo 2 cards from Russia arrived today 😀

8XhnyAXh.jpg

XXL: http://i.imgur.com/8XhnyAX.jpg

Now I got to test them all and then I can slowly start with my Voodoo 2 + SLI scaling project.

Let me guess, pc-1.ru?

Reply 3768 of 53188, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RacoonRider wrote:

Let me guess, pc-1.ru?

Nope from eBay user alex_3891.

Packing was quite poor to be honest. Very weak box and it was a bit beaten up. The seller also wanted to avoid the eBay payment process to save fees but I refused. Not cheap either, but the only one I found that I could buy several cards from in one hit + combined postage.

My YouTube channel

Reply 3769 of 53188, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a VGA cable for the Pentium III machine I photographed earlier. It does indeed have 192 MB of RAM, and also has a 450 MHz Pentium III CPU, and a 8 GB Maxtor hard drive that seems to work fine, but is definitely slow and loud!

Reply 3770 of 53188, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
RacoonRider wrote:

Let me guess, pc-1.ru?

Nope from eBay user alex_3891.

Packing was quite poor to be honest. Very weak box and it was a bit beaten up. The seller also wanted to avoid the eBay payment process to save fees but I refused. Not cheap either, but the only one I found that I could buy several cards from in one hit + combined postage.

This is where they come from, bought mine there as well:
http://pc-1.ru/i_shop/video/pci/A031066
http://pc-1.ru/i_shop/video/pci/A029492
The shop has a large supply of the cards, 111 of Diamond V2 and 1637 of STB, if the numbers are correct. The STB card is worth $8, the Diamond - $14. Nearly all Voodoo cards that show up in Russia come from there.

Just out of curiosity, how much did you pay?

Reply 3771 of 53188, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is there any way to get them shipped from there to EU?

Core i7-13700 | 32G DDR4 | Biostar B760M | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 32" AOC 75Hz IPS + 17" DEC CRT 1024x768 @ 85Hz
Win11 + Virtualization => Emudeck @consoles | pcem @DOS~Win95 | Virtualbox @Win98SE & softGPU | VMware @2K&XP | ΕΧΟDΟS

Reply 3772 of 53188, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It was already discussed before. "PC-1" don't ship abroad, so this ebay member (alex_3891) is just take this part of work for some money.

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb
486 DX2-66/32mb/8gb/tseng4000 2mb/SB 16+WB/GUS 1mb/LAPC-I
286 12mhz/4mb/512mb/Vga 1mb/SB 2.0+Covox
PegasosII G4 / Amiga 4000 / Amiga1200 / Amiga 600

Reply 3773 of 53188, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RacoonRider wrote:

Just out of curiosity, how much did you pay?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/STB-3dfx-Voodoo-2- … df3a06c1&_uhb=1

My YouTube channel

Reply 3775 of 53188, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ct4390m_s.jpg

This guy is installed in the "Final PhantaC" build I'm working on. (See what I did there?) The AWE64 Gold has been a part of it since inception, but the 24MB Creative Memory Module is a new addition.

Reply 3777 of 53188, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I second that! I've looked for the creative one everywhere but the only ones I can find are the after market simmconn ones.

Reply 3778 of 53188, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Won a MPU-401 in JP for JPY 1 yesterday. Now I am curious whether I will actually get it (whether the seller will ship it). I also have someone sending me 2X MPU-401AT and 2X SCB-55 (all PCBs only, untested) from CA. It is really cool that people come out of the blue and offer me things sometimes. 😀

Reply 3779 of 53188, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
borgie83 wrote:

I second that! I've looked for the creative one everywhere but the only ones I can find are the after market simmconn ones.

+1 Where did you find that? I've been searching for a few years now!

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg