Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
These two Quadro GeForce4 cards arrived: […]
Show full quote

These two Quadro GeForce4 cards arrived:

2M0M1O2l.jpg

Not sure when I get a chance to play with them, my retro room is, once again, a mess 😵

Nice! Looking forwards to how those do with Splinter Cell (and other games). 😀

And I agree on the PSU thing - most of my retro builds use hilariously oversized PSUs because they're generally not much more money and provide a lot more flexibility in terms of re-using the PSU elsewhere and/or the freedom to add whatever expansion card/device you can dream up. 🤣 I've also noted that if the PSU is relatively efficient (especially if its 80+, but the "not quite" models in the 70-80% range aren't bad either) it usually does better (in terms of how much power is actually drawn from the wall) than the original "small" PSUs as some of those tend to only be ~50-60% efficient. 😵

Reply 3802 of 53082, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
obobskivich wrote:

I tried both cards last night and they work fine! I installed the same ForceWare driver as with the GeForce (I didn't know ForceWare included Quadro) and the game works fine. All the shadows check out and performance is also fine. Can't tell much of a difference, maybe a little bit smoother compared to the GeForce 4800 SE.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3803 of 53082, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
obobskivich wrote:

I tried both cards last night and they work fine! I installed the same ForceWare driver as with the GeForce (I didn't know ForceWare included Quadro) and the game works fine. All the shadows check out and performance is also fine. Can't tell much of a difference, maybe a little bit smoother compared to the GeForce 4800 SE.

I was actually thinking about the Quadro/GeForce thing the other day, and looked at the release notes for older ForceWare releases and they do tend to list Quadro. I think it's a more recent thing that they're using "separated" drivers. Good to hear that they work well for the game as well - adds more options that don't have "odd" performance.

Reply 3804 of 53082, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
obobskivich wrote:
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
These two Quadro GeForce4 cards arrived: […]
Show full quote

These two Quadro GeForce4 cards arrived:

2M0M1O2l.jpg

Not sure when I get a chance to play with them, my retro room is, once again, a mess 😵

And I agree on the PSU thing - most of my retro builds use hilariously oversized PSUs because they're generally not much more money and provide a lot more flexibility in terms of re-using the PSU elsewhere and/or the freedom to add whatever expansion card/device you can dream up. 🤣 I've also noted that if the PSU is relatively efficient (especially if its 80+, but the "not quite" models in the 70-80% range aren't bad either) it usually does better (in terms of how much power is actually drawn from the wall) than the original "small" PSUs as some of those tend to only be ~50-60% efficient. 😵

it;s better to have a PSU that is more than you actually need due to deterioration over time. Eventually they no longer provide the proper voltages across all rails and you start having problems. Yes, they make PSU's that are guaranteed to maintain 80+ or 85+ efficiency for long periods of time but you pay more for those. Starting with a PSU that is overkill in the first place achieves the same goal and sometimes for a lower price than a high efficiency PSU.

Reply 3805 of 53082, by fedepede04

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i also have a sw60 xg card floating around in my cellar, but i saw a person making into a standalone Midi-device on you-tube, so i thinking doing the same with mine 😀

found the video 😀
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3DrNlqle1A

Reply 3806 of 53082, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

it;s better to have a PSU that is more than you actually need due to deterioration over time. Eventually they no longer provide the proper voltages across all rails and you start having problems. Yes, they make PSU's that are guaranteed to maintain 80+ or 85+ efficiency for long periods of time but you pay more for those. Starting with a PSU that is overkill in the first place achieves the same goal and sometimes for a lower price than a high efficiency PSU.

If you've got a PSU that's so aged/defective that it runs out of spec on the voltage rails, it should be repaired or recycled - it's no good for hardware if the rails are sagging or running too high. Buying something that was over-spec'd in the beginning won't really mitigate that problem - everything eventually ages and fails. 😢

As far as the efficiency bit: in general I'd have to disagree with you. 80Plus units are very much the rule rather than the exception these days, and shouldn't be shied away from - running a less efficient and over-spec'd model will usually never approach the efficiency capabilities of an 80Plus unit (let's assume we go find some old-school boat anchor that runs 60-70% efficient and we only load it around 20% (and this isn't an unrealistic scenario) - it's going to run at the bottom of its efficiency curve pretty much consistently, so let's say we're talking about a 1kW model and we're pulling 200W out of it at 60% efficiency, which means there's better than 100W (!!) of waste power that's going to be expressed as heat by this unit; contrast that to say, an 80Plus Platinum unit that will run at 90% efficiency or better across its entire output range, and put that same 200W load onto it, and we'll see around 20W of waste power/heat generated for the same setup - the savings on power don't just help at the wall, it also means a lot less heat that has to be dealt with by the system).

Reply 3808 of 53082, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In fact, if you're buying a brand-new PSU, I would make an even bigger statement: do not buy anything that isn't 80Plus certified. Why? Because not only are non-certified PSUs less efficient, they're also a lot less well built, and will almost certainly be overrated - sometimes by a huge amount. It is not possibly for a 80Plus PSU to be overrated, due to the way the tests work. An 80Plus PSU will almost always last longer, be more efficient, and be a lot kinder to your components as well.

Reply 3810 of 53082, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some more Nexgen stuff arrived yesterday, this time a whole system. It's a PCI motherboard and an unknown speed nx586. I had to take the CPU out because even though the rest of the system was clean, there was a lot of dust stuck on the fan, in the fins of the heatsink and on the surface of the chip. It's one of the ones that doesn't have the speed silkscreened on the chip so I'll have to add a hard drive to the system and boot it to see what speed it reports. This is now my 5th Nexgen motherboard and CPU. I have 3 VL-Bus boards and now 2 PCI. Only one other person I know of now has more Nexgen boards than I do, and that's a man in Germany who has 9(!) VL Bus and 1 PCI and he lists the serial numbers of his on his website and none of his match any of mine so I assume his collection is still intact.

Reply 3812 of 53082, by Solarstorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PeterLI wrote:

Got this in from CA today. Works great.

Uhm... You don't need this give it to me! 😀

My YouTube Channel

Reply 3814 of 53082, by Solarstorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PeterLI wrote:

There is a lot of Roland in DE as well. Try http://www.dosforum.de. 😀

Yeah, i know about that board. But i prefer Vogons. 😀

My YouTube Channel

Reply 3816 of 53082, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not really retro.. But when looking some video on youtube i find that there where SMD soldering practice boards..
Because i never solderd that kind of type, and it wasnt very expensive so i really want to give it a try. Hoping my soldering skill could upgrade.

9az6g7.jpg

Won a CT1600 Sound blaster pro 2 (untested)

21c8769.jpg

Some soldering tips for my weller soldering station.
2q0qbsi.jpg

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 3817 of 53082, by easy_john

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Korg AudioGallery AG-10
Korg_AudioGallery_AG-10_f.JPG.
Korg_AudioGallery_AG-10_ins.JPG. Korg_AudioGallery_AG-10_r.JPG.

Pentium2 450/256mb/4gb/ati rage 128+voodoo2/SB awe32 8mb+db50xg/GUS PnP 8mb/TB Tropez 2mb
486 DX2-66/32mb/8gb/tseng4000 2mb/SB 16+WB/GUS 1mb/LAPC-I
286 12mhz/4mb/512mb/Vga 1mb/SB 2.0+Covox
PegasosII G4 / Amiga 4000 / Amiga1200 / Amiga 600

Reply 3819 of 53082, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Scored an SGI 550L Visual Workstation.

I have no real interest in the case, just the hardware inside. Board is an M29A based on the i840 chipset. Runs 133Mhz P3 "Xeons."

Hopefully I didn't bidsnipe anyone on here 🤣 for this.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/161287048990?ssPageNam … 984.m1497.l2649

Dw096X2.jpg

YRSH2KL.jpg

rssv9Zu.jpg

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z