VOGONS

Reply 41 of 93, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, you are already using 300+ watts for the system now. What if you decided to overclock the holy hell out of the video card too? A 500w would be bare minimum. The old power supplies, you want to use them in the 40-70% range anyway.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 42 of 93, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently de lidded one and the stock cooler still works and and has plenty of tension when mounting that i can tell of, if the board is still good maybe i can post a temp read out... if it even has one.

Reply 43 of 93, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Necro.gif

Managed to rotate 90º the 212 Evo, and chainsawed the rear panel to (barely) make room for a real exhaust fan (120mm). The Preshott flamethrower behaves now quite civilly above 4GHz.

471858660523a398d33f89.png

107196898523a39e3dab33.png

Last edited by TELVM on 2013-09-18, 23:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Let the air flow!

Reply 44 of 93, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When I just recently swapped the motherboard in my main rig for a P5B, I had to run a 3.06GHz Preshott temporarily so I could flash a newer bios that could accept my Pentium Dual-Core. Despite idling around 55-60c, it actually ran fairly well. It felt pretty cool temporarily having what may have been one of the most souped-up Pentium 4 boxes ever. 🤣 I really think the Netburst architecture would have been a lot better had Intel come up with their Core2-era chipsets sooner.

Reply 45 of 93, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What a small wonder is the new Speedfan 4.49. With the Advanced Fan Control feature even an ancient P4P800 can fine control the fans like a modern mobo.

Only the CPU_FAN header is able to vary RPM in the P4P800, so I've daisy chained the three fans (front 5.25 intake 120mm, 212 Evo heatsink 120mm, and rear exhaust 120mm) that constitute the main wind tunnel. Thus they work in unison, varying speed in function of CPU temp following the programmable curve.

1849668500523a45f2da1e5.png

1406099932523a46bf7be73.png

@ 26C ambient:
· Idle: 37C (fans @ 61%)
· Burning: 44C (fans @ 78%)

Cool & quiet retro computing 😎 .

Let the air flow!

Reply 46 of 93, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How did you pull THAT off?

I turn on P4 3.2E system on, and according to the BIOS, it STARTS idling at around 46-48 degrees Celsius and just creeps on up from there, right now at 57 degrees. This is with a huge Scythe Ninja heatsink strapped on it, too; it's a low-fin-density heatsink that's optimized for slow airflow and even passive use, but I'm pretty sure it should be doing better than this. (And yes, I'm pretty sure I applied the thermal paste correctly.)

I can't tell load temps because I don't think most temperature monitoring programs can correctly read the CPU temp that the BC875PLG reports; it's much lower than what I see in the BIOS.

Then again, ALL of my computers seem to run hotter than everyone else's on the Internet. Ambient temps, if we go by the system values, should be either 29 or 34 degrees...no, wait, now it's 31 to 37 degrees.

At the very least, it doesn't seem to be throttling itself under load, and even if the mobo would let me overclock, I have no plans to...but the high temps still bother me.

Reply 47 of 93, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NamelessPlayer wrote:

How did you pull THAT off?

In order of importance:

1) Powerful case ventilation. That's why I chainsaw at old cases to extirpate grills and shoehorn larger fans. Each Arctic F12 120mm fan in the pics above moves 57 CFM (when unrestricted by grills/filters/etc.), about triple what a cheap 80mm restricted by atrocious case grills, like the one that churned originally at the rear of this case, can move. Fast evacuation of heat from inside case is even MORE important than CPU cooler size/quality.

Back in the day Intel was well aware of the fact that putting Preshotts inside contemporary cases would turn them into ovens:

Intel wrote:

"... A 92-mm or larger rear fan providing a minimum of 55 CFM (in free air) of flow is recommended to exhaust the chassis in conjunction with the Chassis Air Guide ..."

2003 Intel Chassis Air Guide

2) Decent CPU heatsink. The OEM Intel toy cooler is hopeless against these Preshott flamethrowers that neither underclock nor undervolt at idle, it lacks both metal mass and fan cfm and is always defeated. We need a REAL cooler to deal with 100+ W TDP CPUs.

1798104840524445ecb18fa.jpg

NamelessPlayer wrote:

I turn on P4 3.2E system on, and according to the BIOS, it STARTS idling at around 46-48 degrees Celsius and just creeps on up from there, right now at 57 degrees. This is with a huge Scythe Ninja heatsink strapped on it, too; it's a low-fin-density heatsink that's optimized for slow airflow and even passive use, but I'm pretty sure it should be doing better than this. (And yes, I'm pretty sure I applied the thermal paste correctly.)

That's a decent heatsink and you should have better temps. How's your case ventilation? (number, diameter, position of case fans. Pics would be ideal)

NamelessPlayer wrote:

I can't tell load temps because I don't think most temperature monitoring programs can correctly read the CPU temp that the BC875PLG reports; it's much lower than what I see in the BIOS.

Temps at BIOS are always higher than idling after boot, due to CPU load while at BIOS. I think that may explain the discrepance you're seeing.

Let the air flow!

Reply 48 of 93, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I should see how hot the Northwood 2.8 HT rig I got runs. It has an aftermarket copper heatsink, but the case doesn't have any extra fans or vents, just the power supply! That case originally housed a 1.8Ghz P4 and worked fine. I certainly wouldn't run a Prescott in it though. The only reason why I have a P4 machine is to run an AGP ATI AIW card for video capture, otherwise I wouldn't touch a P4 with a 10 foot pole. They suck down power like nobody's business compared to Core series CPUs.

Reply 49 of 93, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NJRoadfan wrote:

I should see how hot the Northwood 2.8 HT rig I got runs. It has an aftermarket copper heatsink, but the case doesn't have any extra fans or vents, just the power supply!

😳 Such a torture by heat was known amongst the ancient Greeks as The Phalaris Bull 🤣 .

The Northwood 2.8 HT ain't a Preshott but is still 70W TDP. Without any case ventilation fans all the heat is passing thru the PSU, which overheats in turn. Good recipe for shortened PSU life and potential fireworks 😖 .

NJRoadfan wrote:

... I wouldn't touch a P4 with a 10 foot pole. They suck down power like nobody's business compared to Core series CPUs.

Quite true, the opposition made funny jokes on the subject back in the day 😁 .

Let the air flow!

Reply 53 of 93, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TELVM wrote:

OK, what proof do you need to be happy Mr. Luckybob?

don't take it like that, I mean I never got good temps like that when the equipment was new. At the time the "best" heatsink you could buy was the Thermalright XP-120.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 54 of 93, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

CPUs of that era just ran hot in general. Preshotts, Northwoods, Athlon XPs, Athlon 64s, they all generated a crazy amount of heat. The only processor from that era that I'm a fan of is the Pentium M, because it defied current trends and went for efficiency rather than raw clockspeeds, and its performance kicked ass as a result. 😁

Reply 55 of 93, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just tested the Northwood at 100% load for over 15 mins. The highest it goes is 62 C for the CPU sensor, the ambient case temp sensor reached 34 C. The CPU idles around 35 C. So cooling, while not optimal, isn't a problem in this chassis. I guess the fancy all copper cooler helps.

Reply 56 of 93, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

don't take it like that, I mean I never got good temps like that when the equipment was new. At the time the "best" heatsink you could buy was the Thermalright XP-120.

OK, peace 😀 . That was the real problem back in the day, neither the contemporary average case had enough ventilation nor the coetaneous CPU coolers had enough muscle to prevent Preshott cores from Fukushiming. But with today's gadgetry we can arrange a much more efficient air cooling scheme.

And please notice that the above "too good to be true" temps are achieved by just ghetto-modding a bit what is basically an old and inefficient case. If I transplant this P4P800/Preshott dinosaur combo to a modern case designed for much more efficient air cooling (PSU on the floor rear, one 120mm intake at the front, one 120 intake at the left panel, one 120 exhaust at rear top, one 120 exhaust at roof rear), with a more aggresive and noisy fan curve programmed on Speedfan, we'd see even better temps, like 5~8C above ambient at idle and 12~15C above ambient burning.

NJRoadfan wrote:

Just tested the Northwood at 100% load for over 15 mins. The highest it goes is 62 C for the CPU sensor, the ambient case temp sensor reached 34 C. The CPU idles around 35 C. So cooling, while not optimal, isn't a problem in this chassis. I guess the fancy all copper cooler helps.

Temps are meaningless when they are not referenced to ambient temp outside case. If your ambient temp is 30C you have decent cooling (Δ5C at idle, Δ32C burning). But if you ambient temp is 15C then your comp is an oven (Δ20C idling, Δ47C burning).

For peace of mind I'd add at least a front intake fan, to cool the HDD/s, and a rear panel exhaust fan, to unload heat from the PSU. But that's just me.

Let the air flow!

Reply 57 of 93, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

Oh yes. But it is now impossibly rare. There was ram that could do 533 mhz easy. But those modules were cherry picked 400 mhz ones. I believe the holy grail of ddr ram was BH5.

Also "serious" overclockrs only ever ueed 2 512mb modules.

bh5 is superb, but needs very high voltage(over 3.2) to push it to the limit, which leads to a short lifespan. it wasn't produced in very large quantity either, many believe that all bh5s on the planet are dead today.
samsung tccd on the other hand, is very competitive against bh5, but needs less voltage, 2.8 is enough to push it to the limit, so there are still many running today.
bh5 and tccd also behaves differently. at very high voltage, hand picked bh5 can reach 400 at insane cl1.5 or 550 at cl2, which is sth tccd can't do. but it doesn't scale very well with relaxed timing, and won't go much higher than 600 even at cl3.
tccd on the other hand doesn't do as good as bh5 at cl1.5 or 2, but scales well when you relax timing, and hand picked tccd can reach over 700 at cl3!

Reply 59 of 93, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmm got an old but almost like new HP laptop with a 3.06ghz northwood and FX5600m in there, haven't bothered with it in months....

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.